AMD's big suprise revealed.

qurious69ss

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/2006/06/

Hmm...a 2-way motherboard for gamers, so that means you can put 2 FX62s in your motherboard, that's gonna get expensive. I think I'll pass....

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Wow, so yet again the 'big surprise' is that using server technology for games systems yeilds great results. Yawn.

People have been using Opterons and clocking them to FX60/62 levels and above for ages, and they've always been able to use dual processor mobos.

qurious69ss

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
I think so too, but desperate times call for desperate actions. I really think that they got caught with their pants down when conroe's numbers came out, and they must pull a PR stunt to save face. Amd's answer will be out in 1/2-1 year so that means that they will have at least 2 quarters of market pressure from intel, which will probably, hit their margins, market share, stock price, and most importantly investor confidence. SO...that means that they at least have to appear competitive, MORE SO with investors than with gamers.....hmm that sounds really familiar, I just can't put my finger on it.

only_me

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/2006/06/

Hmm...a 2-way motherboard for gamers, so that means you can put 2 FX62s in your motherboard, that's gonna get expensive. I think I'll pass....

Sounds like a 3dfx idea, and we all know how well that worked. if one processor isn't fast enough then use two, then four, and so on until you run out of money.

Microforce

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2006
Well , not really ....

2 x amd x2 3800+ low energy procs @ 35 W tdp = 70 watt

4 cores , price about $ 500 ( for cpus that is )

assuming you can run these boards with only 1 cpu installed makes a good upgrade path if vista turns out to be quite demanding :)

also if you would be able to assign tasks per core ( 1 OS , 1 background tasks and 2 for main app ) i´d certainly give it a good look

anyway 70W tdp $ 500 quad core doesnt sound bad , i´d like to see it bench against a ~ $500 core 2

just my 2 cents

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
This crap is comming from blogs...anyway it sound extremly stupid to me paying 3500$(2xFX-62 = $2100 + two socket mainboard = aprox 300$ + 4 x 1GB DDR2-1066-SLI CL4 = $1000 + aditional PSU & cooling) for just CPU+MB+RAM, expecialy taking into account that for half year system with same performance will cost less than half.

For the price of FX-62 I will buy Conroe 2.4GHz, 2x1GB DDR2-800 CL5, good i965 or i985 mainboard and 1 cargo of toilet papers for the rest of the money, as a free gift for the AMD fanboy bloggers.

qurious69ss

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
This crap is comming from blogs...anyway it sound extremly stupid to me paying 3500$(2xFX-62 = $2100 + two socket mainboard = aprox 300$ + 4 x 1GB DDR2-1066-SLI CL4 = $1000 + aditional PSU & cooling) for just CPU+MB+RAM, expecialy taking into account that for half year system with same performance will cost less than half.

For the price of FX-62 I will buy Conroe 2.4GHz, 2x1GB DDR2-800 CL5, good i965 or i985 mainboard and 1 cargo of toilet papers for the rest of the money, as a free gift for the AMD fanboy bloggers.

Extremetech confirms the report.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1970271,00.asp

linux_0

Splendid

Extremetech confirms the report.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1970271,00.asp

Yes indeed :-D

And it does make some sense!

4 cores are better than 2 :-D

iterations

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
Seriously? That is the surprise? We get to by two overpriced processors from them instead of one to get performance parity? Sign me up...

I seriously doubt this is all they will announce today. I hope this isn't it cause that is pretty disappointing.

I would expect their announcement to include some pretty serious price cuts, and a proper explanaion of their K8L roadmap. Let's see what they actually announce later today.

linux_0

Splendid
Seriously? That is the surprise? We get to by two overpriced processors from them instead of one to get performance parity? Sign me up...

I seriously doubt this is all they will announce today. I hope this isn't it cause that is pretty disappointing.

I would expect their announcement to include some pretty serious price cuts, and a proper explanaion of their K8L roadmap. Let's see what they actually announce later today.

2/4/8Way AMD64 or Opteron based systems have several architectural advantages over any other platform and with the right CPU can deliver excellent price / performance as well!

I would rather have 4 Single Core CPUs myself as opposed to 2 Dual Core CPUs.

Aragorn

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
You all seem to be working with this strange assumption that people will want to buy 2 fx62's why not buy 2 AM2 Opteron procressors and OC the whole thing to get the preformance lead without shelling out the mega bucks? This board would let you use them without ECC RAM and other server components.

qurious69ss

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006

I'm sure they will anounce many future plans, but it looks like the 2P anouncement will be what they will launch in the near future to compete against the conroe EX. Is it just me or does this sound like a company going to "plan b" or maybe even c or d. This is getting better than a soap opera but not quite as good as a spanish novela. :) :)

I tend to agree with the crowd here. This is something that I would more than likely not buy.

The funny thing: The new dual-dual core socket is aimed at gamers but games currently don't take advanted of dual-core, let alone quad core.

It reminds me of when Intel glued two cores onto one processor, it just doesn't make much sense for 99% of us.

linux_0

Splendid
I tend to agree with the crowd here. This is something that I would more than likely not buy.

The funny thing: The new dual-dual core socket is aimed at gamers but games currently don't take advanted of dual-core, let alone quad core.

It reminds me of when Intel glued two cores onto one processor, it just doesn't make much sense for 99% of us.

I respectfully disagree.

Everyone can benefit from SMP, besides SMP is faster than Dual or Quad Cores and offers more HT buses for more memory and IO bandwidth :-D

If you can buy regular AM2s and can use non-REG ECC the platform will become even more affordable!

It is a great idea :-D

MrsD

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006

But what you dont understand is when Conroe comes out, performs like its hyped to perform at a cheaper price, then Fx-62 wont cost $1200. They will drop the price to be competitive with whatever Intel is offering for whatever price. Some of you just dont seem to understand you get what you pay for.
If a 2.4 conroe only cost say $250 and performs on FX-62 levels, then the price of FX-62 will drop to around $250. Why is it so difficult for some of you to understand that?

iterations

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
If a 2.4 conroe only cost say $250 and performs on FX-62 levels, then the price of FX-62 will drop to around $250. Why is it so difficult for some of you to understand that?
Now that would be an announcement I'd be psyched about, if it were true.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
But what you dont understand is when Conroe comes out, performs like its hyped to perform at a cheaper price, then Fx-62 wont cost $1200. They will drop the price to be competitive with whatever Intel is offering for whatever price. Some of you just dont seem to understand you get what you pay for.
I really don't see AMD selling it's "Flagship" model
at $250. Where will the Semprons, and low end Athlons fall into this pricing
scheme? If your assumption that you get what you pay for is correct, then
based on a $250 FX-62, a Sempron 3400 should go for about $10. If you go
on roughly $40 to produce a higher-end chip, it must cost $15-$20 for a
Sempron, and they would be losing money. :roll: