Nintendo Cuts Profit Forecast 70Pct Ahead of Wii U Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Well, I'll probably get it just because they have Pikmin 3, Monster Hunter 3 and Bayonetta 2.. but, still on the fence about this console..

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
I have a friend who's a die hard fan of Nintendo, and for the first time he's going to actually wait and see if its worth it. After all the Wii was just a short thrill. For myself i will be letting my PC handle my gaming life after all the Wii U is just a small upgrade in terms of hardware and in all reality i just hate the idea behind the tablet thing becoming a part of the game. Didn't spend 2k on a tv to watch part of the game on a small tablet. But minus my hate towards it, i hope they do well to encourage Xbox and Sony to get off there chairs and pump out a new console so better ports come out for the PC to utilize the hardware we've already had for well over half a decade.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]julianbautista87[/nom]if they make another mario galaxy, or another pikmin, or another DK country returns, I'm in.[/citation]
What the world really needs is the 473rd installment of yet another Mario game, because we all hate variety. When exactly did Nintendo come up with a new franchise character, rather than banging out the same tired ones from the 1980's?

notuptome2004

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
[citation][nom]giovanni86[/nom]I have a friend who's a die hard fan of Nintendo, and for the first time he's going to actually wait and see if its worth it. After all the Wii was just a short thrill. For myself i will be letting my PC handle my gaming life after all the Wii U is just a small upgrade in terms of hardware and in all reality i just hate the idea behind the tablet thing becoming a part of the game. Didn't spend 2k on a tv to watch part of the game on a small tablet. But minus my hate towards it, i hope they do well to encourage Xbox and Sony to get off there chairs and pump out a new console so better ports come out for the PC to utilize the hardware we've already had for well over half a decade.[/citation]

The Wii U Gamepad Not Tablet does not just show you part of the game but you interact with it like an inventory screen or anything like that like in Zombie U your player on screen crouches down as you would in real life to saearch through the bag to get ammo or other stuff while the Game is still going in real time on the big screen it makes the whole survival horror aspect of the game much scarier

Also other games the GP is used as a 2nd view in to the world separate from the view on screen Also games like Call of duty black ops 2 uses the screen in Multiplayer with friend as aon screen to play split screen while someone uses the big screen just to game on and you use the Wii U GP of which is all Wireless

Also the Wii U is not justa small upgrade to the anything it is next generation system far better then anything the PS3 and 360 can handle . Multi-core CPU 2GB of ram in the system 1GB just for games a Radeon 7000 series GPU in the thing wel rumnored now to be a 6790 or somthing i dont know but still and the whole system is smaller then the Orginal Wii

The GP tho has tones of features on it but in order for it to work the console must be on as well everything is powered and rendered by the Console itself the GP has no internal CPU or GPU

You also have the Nintendo TVii features built in that works with your home DVR or Cable system

julianbautista87

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]What the world really needs is the 473rd installment of yet another Mario game, because we all hate variety. When exactly did Nintendo come up with a new franchise character, rather than banging out the same tired ones from the 1980's?[/citation]

The old franchises are very good, you can't deny that... Pikmin is an excellent game, Mario is also very good and addictive...

But you are right, I remember the Rare times, they usually came out with new ideas and stuff...

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
What happened to Nintendo? They used to be a company with tons of cash on hand that allowed them to take risks and experiment. It used to pay off. Now they're just trudging along, hemorrhaging money like there's no tomorrow. The Wii U would have to be a true blockbuster for them to hope to make up for the fact they're dropping profit guidance that much. 70%? That's better than the $300 Million loss last year, but still, that's bad. Especially if they're relying on selling over 5 million systems AND averaging 4 games per buyer, considering few people even buy that many games over the course of a year, let alone in the next 5 months.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]julianbautista87[/nom]The old franchises are very good, you can't deny that... Pikmin is an excellent game, Mario is also very good and addictive...But you are right, I remember the Rare times, they usually came out with new ideas and stuff...[/citation]
Yes, the old franchises, it is just embarrassing now though. This cow has been milked so much that the milk has turned to dust. Give us new ideas please.

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
My friends and I are big fans of Nintendo consoles but the wii was too disappointing and this is only making us think twice. I've been trying to stir the ship towards buying it but hesitant at the same time. We're all going to play wait and see and maybe grab it during Christmas time if they lower the prices.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]DRosencraft[/nom]What happened to Nintendo? They used to be a company with tons of cash on hand that allowed them to take risks and experiment. It used to pay off. Now they're just trudging along, hemorrhaging money like there's no tomorrow. The Wii U would have to be a true blockbuster for them to hope to make up for the fact they're dropping profit guidance that much. 70%? That's better than the $300 Million loss last year, but still, that's bad.[/citation]

Yes the Wii just hemorrhaged money, right into the bank. That is EXACTLY what they are doing. They have tons of cash on hand, they are taking risks with a 3d handheld and a console that has a tablet gamepad. Risks do not always pay off.

I just don't think Nintendo is being realistic with their estimates. The Wii dried out a couple years ago, they should have had an HD Wii ready then to transition. There has been a few games this past year worth playing, but not enough to expect them to move hardware. The 3DS was not what people were looking for. Concerns about 3D eye strain make it a hesitant buy for parents and the price was just too high for the novelty. Add in the 3DS has not been as pirate friendly as DS, hardware based piracy does help hardware sales. If you had put out Pokemon 3D instead of a sequel to the last generation Nintendo, those sales of 3DS would have been far higher. Everything they're doing is just a couple years behind where they should be. If the Wii U had been out two years ago, Nintendo would have had some time to get systems in houses while Sony/MS still had no release plans. Now they've got less than a year before we hear more from the other camps.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
If they would remake all the Nintendo 64, Gamecube and Wii golden titles and made them look acceptable in HD I will buy the WiiU without a doubt. Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 64, Majora's Mask, Donkey Kong 64, Paper Mario, Kirby 64, All Zelda games, All Metroid games, the rest of the Mario games... heck I just realized my wishes do not run the industries and that this will never happened, so no buy from me unless really good games come out for this and I can buy at $150.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
Well everyone is waiting for the new console, so of course as soon as they announced it, people held off on buying the current one. Wii U is already sold out of pre-orders on every sku. Nintendo is also selling the Wii U at a loss. So those profit projections seem pretty good actually. Also the 3DS still sold very very well, just not as high as expected. So they didn't sell the 18.5 million or so, but still sold 17.5 million? Still pretty good.

notuptome2004

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
[citation][nom]Thunderfox[/nom]What makes them think there will be compelling games for the Wii U, aside from the ones Nintendo itself makes?[/citation]

let see just about every game developer is developing games for the Wii U and there is games like Zombie U that are exclusive to the Wii U many other games coming to the system within 6 months most of the games coming out next month on the other systems will be on the wii U launch day

Obviously you just woke out of a coma and heard about the Wii U just now and dont know or had no clue of the games for it or you just could not do a Google search for the games coming out for it

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Nintendo believes it can sell every Wii U customer about four games - or 24 million copies in total. Given its history, this is a rather optimistic goal and will depend on a strong third-party lineup for the Wii U ecosystem.
Oh lord, they're screwed. Nintendo has had the least impressive launch lineups in the industry (except maybe the PS3), and the biggest weakness of the Wii is the low number of third party games making good use of the quirky interface.

notuptome2004

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Oh lord, they're screwed. Nintendo has had the least impressive launch lineups in the industry (except maybe the PS3), and the biggest weakness of the Wii is the low number of third party games making good use of the quirky interface.[/citation]

have you seen the Wii U launch lineup it has soem good high end 3rd party titels all of which are Superior to the same ones that will be on the current Gen consoles

tului

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
I've been waiting for Nintendo to go the route of Sega for a while now. Might take them a while to realize it themselves though.
Hell, Google or someone could buy them up, just to have the name.

mazty

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]What the world really needs is the 473rd installment of yet another Mario game, because we all hate variety. When exactly did Nintendo come up with a new franchise character, rather than banging out the same tired ones from the 1980's?[/citation]
This. Ignore the fanboy reds, Nintendo have finally killed themselves by sacrificing all their gamers for casuals, and people are finally getting tired of playing the same game year after year. Nintendo is a blight in the gaming world just as much as Call of Duty or any other uninspired rehashed series or publisher who balks at the idea of doing something original. Quicker they die, the sooner the message will be clear (if SWTOR wasn't enough of a signal to the gaming world...).

mazty

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
[citation][nom]notuptome2004[/nom]let see just about every game developer is developing games for the Wii U and there is games like Zombie U that are exclusive to the Wii U many other games coming to the system within 6 months most of the games coming out next month on the other systems will be on the wii U launch day Obviously you just woke out of a coma and heard about the Wii U just now and dont know or had no clue of the games for it or you just could not do a Google search for the games coming out for it[/citation]
By games, you mean the WiiU is getting multiplats which are either already out on existing consoles, or are going to be out as well on existing consoles.
Making a "this-gen" console when next-gen is around the corner is crazy.

notuptome2004

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
[citation][nom]mazty[/nom]By games, you mean the WiiU is getting multiplats which are either already out on existing consoles, or are going to be out as well on existing consoles.Making a "this-gen" console when next-gen is around the corner is crazy.[/citation]

No games like ASC3 and Call of duty black ops 2 for just example are releasing on the current systems 2 or 3 days before the Wii U and each of them titles have had other work done to them for the Wii U features just for that as well as a substantial graphics upgrade to the game as all 3rd party games running @ full HD 1080p by default all while having graphics upgrades

Other games that are on the Wii U that have been out on current systems mainly Batman AC even tho it is on current systems it has usubstantial graphics upgrades more depth and detail and much more gameplay to it

The Wii U is next gen system it has substantial power over current systems Far newer generation custom IBM Multi-core CPU far better GPU 2gb of ram so no it is not current Gen sorry but it isant

Just to push everything to the Wii U GP be it gameplay or justa map still takes allot of power to do so since the console does all the work and when it is real gameplay or for example CODBP 2 runs full 60FPS on the big screen @ native 1080p and when you are playing witha friend but you are using the gamepad and he is using the big screen it also is rendering @ 60FPS

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
I'll buy it when they release the next smash brothers... or zelda but unless they release some AAA nintendo IP titles its going to get slow adoption... heck with the wii the only game i bothered to buy that wasn't a nintendo origional was the rayman games, i rented several others but really couldn't find anything worth purchasing. the new tablet controller seems like it could result in some very interesting gameplay mechanics which they have been using with the DS for a while now here's hoping they pull it off

Status
Not open for further replies.