For those who say that ATI doesn't innovate.

redeemer

Distinguished
May 30, 2004
For all those who rip on ATI, take this in consideration.

1.ATI was the first to come out with a DX9 part the 9700.
2.The first to introduce a 256 bit MC
3.Invented GDDR3 and probably GDDR4
4.Currently has superior architecture with the R580 HDR+AA (X1900XTX fastest)
5.Work with companies unlike Nvidia.
6.Had multi-GPU solution way before Nvidia's SLI
7.Dominates the Mobile market, laptops, hand phones, HDTV chipsets.
8.Way a head in DX 10 development, already created developer kits.
9.Better video solutions.
10.etc

Sure they have lost a little fire on the desktop segment because they were late on the R520 series of cards.

Also the 7900 series of cards are just plagued with problems

cleeve

Illustrious
Who said Ati doesn't innovate? What, are you trying to start a flame war?

For the sake of argument I'm going to respond to a couple of points though:

What do you mean, and what does this have to do with innovation? Nvidia works with tons of game development houses, so does Ati, I can tell you that much.

This is kind of irrelevant since the consumer couldn't buy it for at least 6 months after SLI was out. So I'm going to tip the hat for innovation to Nvidia on SLI, I personally don't think multi-card solutions are that great an idea, but if Nvidia hadn't come out with it the consumer would still not have the option.

If you are radeonjaxt with a new account, welcome back... it was fun getting you banned the first time. it will be funner the second. :)

If you're not, welcome to the forums!

Fair warning: We don't like fanboys here so much, both Nvidiots and fanATIcs get flamed alot.

So if you're a big brand pusher, try to pretend to be unbiased at the very least... :wink:

prozac26

Distinguished
May 9, 2005
This thread is pointless since it'll end up being a fanboy vs. fanboy war. It's very clear you're a fanATIc, and try to protect ATI, and make them look best. I don't see why you should have 1 post, and it flaming nVidia, and praise ATI, when clearly it is not needed.

Synergy6

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
Just for my own information, who are you/were you? Last time I checked most newcomers don't attempt to start a flamewar with their *first* post. Second, usually, but not their first. Unless, of course, you're a diehard fanboy with a banned account and scores left to settle.
Synergy6

P.S. GDDR4 was/is designed by Samsung. I don't like fanboys at the best of times, but try to get your facts right.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
Who says ATI doesn't innovate? :?

This thread is a useless one where you can try and prove why ATI is better than Nvidia; if you need reassurance for the card you just purchased, go somewhere else.

So I'm going to tip the hat for innovation to Nvidia on SLI, I personally don't think multi-card solutions are that great an idea, but if Nvidia hadn't come out with it the consumer would still not have the option.

But the question really becomes what kind of credit does nV really deserve for even that?

XGI started the revival of multi-GPU, and Alienware using Metabyte's intellectual property introduced multi-card solution. If anything nV simply saw the writing on the wall and developed their own system (Ati having failed their R9800MAXX experiement was also 'trying').

Personally I think Alienware and XGi deserve more credit for pushing the idea, and ATi and Metabyte/Alienware for the intellectual property that allows multi VPUs to work thanks to SFR and AFR.

Fair warning: We don't like fanboys here so much, both Nvidiots and fanATIcs get flamed alot.

In other words wath your FAQin'-self! :twisted:

prozac26

Distinguished
May 9, 2005

Wrong, Matrox Parhelia was out with 256bit memory befrore the R9700, and was the first 512bit chip.
LOL, he's got to eat his own words now. :lol:

cleeve

Illustrious
But the question really becomes what kind of credit does nV really deserve for even that?

Meh, not alot in my book, you know I've never been a big fan of multi-GPU solutions...

But if you're going to credit someone with SLI, it's not going to be Ati, is all I'm saying. Nvidia, and yeah even Alienware/Metabyte.

Sure, Ati was doing it, but that didn't help them get Xfire to market quickly...

I don't think XGI had much of an impact with their stuff. :p

tmac

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2004
prozac,
:?: Not to change the topic, but it's a flame war, so who cares.
But, is there a history that I don't understand, oh why you pat yourself
on the back when you reply. Parlee said, the mighty prozac....

FatFunkey

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
oh brother i thought the ati nvida fan boys were dead

while i personaly use ATI and i prob wont go to Nvidia (...geforce FX 5xxxx series just peeved me off...damn hair dryers) anyways Nvidia and ATI have the same power in my eye the diffrence in their cards is mabey 2-3frames

However i do belive ATI will have the upper-hand in DX10 at least for the first generation cards of DX10 just because of the fact the X1xxxs can already emulate DX10 (at least the X1900s) and the fact that from the specs of Nvidia's G80 looks lacking.

Please dont call me an ATI Fan boy while i probally can consider to be one i dont post crap like OMG ATI FTW! and what not and i personaly feel Nvida chips and ATI are the same at least in graphical power, i will probally not purchase another Nvida card just because of my own feelings about Nvida and there Geforce FX series, the fact drivers are realsed once in a blue moon, and the fact ATI has a better picture quailty (or at least used 2 be better then Nvida..now again there basicly the same)

Meh, not alot in my book, you know I've never been a big fan of multi-GPU solutions...

Me neither, for me the multi-concept was always for SurroundGaming. I always was a critic of generalized SLi, I have only promoted it for 2 situations, large panel LCD because scaling is not an option, and for the situations like the ridiculously overpirced GTX-512, where two cards together (GTs in this case) is not only faster, but cheaper (with MOBO even) than the single card.

But if you're going to credit someone with SLI, it's not going to be Ati, is all I'm saying. Nvidia, and yeah even Alienware/Metabyte.

I wouldn't credit multi-card to ATi (they were last) but nV definitely wasn't first nor a pioneer. 3Dfx was, but that technology dies with the company, the new one only bears resemblance in the idea of multi-cards, and 3Dfx wasn't even the first with that. So for the promotion of multi-card solutions as viable I'd say Alienware's ALX demo started the ball rolling again.

Sure, Ati was doing it, but that didn't help them get Xfire to market quickly...

No but their AFR sure helps everyone make it succesful IMO.

I don't think XGI had much of an impact with their stuff. :p

Not really, but they may have shown the promise to Alienware, remember most of us were thinking 130nm(+LowK) was a giant leap and that they wouldn't run to 90nm this fast so multi-vpu would make a come back because of design limits. Of course we were a little off on that prediction now weren't we. :lol:

prozac,
But, is there a history that I don't understand, oh why you pat yourself
on the back when you reply. Parlee said, the mighty prozac....

It's called a sig of quotables.

Perhaps you should click on the FAQ link and figure out what they are. :tongue:

I say that as someone with GREAT in my name! :twisted:

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
ATI has always beaten Nvidia. In the dictionary. Anywhere else I'm not too bothered - I've bought both in the past and will buy both again in the future if it suits me.

melarcky

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
i couldnt careless who inveted it or who has the closest to Dx 10 right now im more interesting in 1 thing
the best performance for the Buck

mad_fitzy

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Man, what a shit first post you made. And I see you are getting pummelled for it which is your own stupid fault. Oh and nVidia does'nt work with companies? *cough*nForce*cough*

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Its not realy who does it first... its who does it best and cheapest. :p If it was all about inovation everything you buy would say "Made in the USA" but instead it says "Made in China" and thats becouse its cheaper (although I dont know about the better part lol)

nforce is just a motherboard chipset ;) ati has the same thing

Yeah and I think he's thinking about nV's TWIMTBP ; like ATi's GITG.

buut nforce was out way before ATI chipset

I don't know about that. I'd have to check the history books, but that might not technically be true due to ATi's mobility chipsets. Could be wrong though, not that it matters, but I tought it was only the Desktop market that ATi entered second when they went with the P4 chipset I thought they already had a laptop history.

Maybe check when I get home.

guyinyourattic37

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
while i personaly use ATI and i prob wont go to Nvidia (...geforce FX 5xxxx series just peeved me off...damn hair dryers) anyways Nvidia and ATI have the same power in my eye the diffrence in their cards is mabey 2-3frames

OMG how long have i been gone? Nvidia already came out with the FX 5xxxx's !?!?!?!?!??!?!? Man i thought that 8xxx's were next. Dang.

:D

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
If my 8-year old little brother started a FAB in his bedroom, and produced video cards that were cheaper and faster than ATI/nVidia cards. I'd buy one. I don't care who makes it; I get the best that I can afford.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006

1.ATI was the first to come out with a DX9 part the 9700.
3.Invented GDDR3 and probably GDDR4
4.Currently has superior architecture with the R580 HDR+AA (X1900XTX fastest)
7.Dominates the Mobile market, laptops, hand phones, HDTV chipsets.
8.Way a head in DX 10 development, already created developer kits.
9.Better video solutions.
10.etc

Sure they have lost a little fire on the desktop segment because they were late on the R520 series of cards.

Also the 7900 series of cards are just plagued with problems

Yet more consumers buy Nvidia, gee I wonder why? :roll: