Upgrading on a budget - good overclocking needed

I've been doing a lot of research on the Semprons, and they can easily clock to 2.5-2.8 (seen 2.5 on stock cooling - albeit high temps).
My system right now
Athlon xp 2500+ @ 2.2ghz
1gb valueram
asus a7n-x nforce 2
Radeon 9500Pro

I'm looking for something to just tide me over until I can completely overhaul my whole system, so I want something cheap. I was looking at socket 754 semprons, those procs run $80-90, and can clock very high (beating out athlon 64 3500+ and 3700+). I know what everyone is going to say, dont get 754, or get 939 or wait till the conroe and all that, but I just need something that will suffice until I can completely build a new computer for around $1500. I play FEAR on tv resolution, and I want something that can play new games at 1024x768 at med/high settings. I need suggestions on a motherboard, and some good ram (depending on the motherboard, and price of everything, DDR500 would be nice). Im planning on getting the Radeon x850xt (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102688) for $160, $140 after MIR. The motherboard needs a divider with as many settings as possible for the ram, and locks for the PCI-X bus. Any suggestions/help would be much appreciated. Oh, and I'm looking at a $400-500 budget, I will need a case, ram, cpu, proc, and m/b, and possibly a DVD-RW. Selling my computer now and reusing some of the parts (replacing some parts with older parts to sell).
4 answers Last reply
More about upgrading budget good overclocking needed
  1. First of all, don´t buy a Sempron... They may get high clocks but you don´t have any cache memory on them so it won´t matter.

CPU, go for one of these:
    s939, AMD64 3200+ 2,0GHz 0,5Mb cache (200x10MHz) [Can be clocked to about ~2,6-3,0GHz]
    s939, AMD Opteron 144 1,8GHz 1Mb cache (200x9MHz) [Can be clocked to about ~2,9GHz or higher]
    s775, Intel Pentium D 805 2.66GHz 2Mb cache (133x20MHz) [http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/05/10/dual_41_ghz_cores]

Motherboard, go for one of these:
    s939, Asus A8N5X with nForce4 (or any card with nForce4...)
    s775, Asus P5ND2-SLI with nForce4 SLI Intel

Graphicscard, go for one of these:
    ATI X850XT or Geforce 7900GT depending on how much money you´ve got. (7900GT is much faster...)

Ram-memory:
    Atleast 1,5Gb ram or recommended 2Gb for games like Battlefield2...

Harddrives: If you want some faster perfomance overall, then buy 2x SATA2 harddrives and put them into RAID0. This will give a lot more perfomance when loading windows, programs and for example maps in Battlefield2...

Remmeber to have atleast 450W power supply...
  2. save your money.... live with what you have for now and get either a Conroe based system, or if you're an AMD person, go the AM2 route when AM2 performance surpasses its 939 equivalent.
  3. Quote:
    save your money.... live with what you have for now and get either a Conroe based system, or if you're an AMD person, go the AM2 route when AM2 performance surpasses its 939 equivalent.

That's not what he wanted to hear.

Quote : I know what everyone is going to say, dont get 754, or get 939 or wait till the conroe and all that, but I just need something that will suffice until I can completely build a new computer for around $1500. Unquote.

I would wait til a week or two after Conroe comes out, so ~ first-second week of August, and AMD s939,s754, and AM2 CPU prices will drop some. I think you will be able to get a s754 Sempron for a very sweet price.

GL :)
  4. As AMD & Intel are going to be doing price drops over the next few months.
    you might want to wait 2 months before upgrading.
    I just spent $233 on the Intel D 805 and Asus P5P800SE
    and $125 on a new AGP card.
    Now i wish I had held out for 2 months and and bought a 900 series Intel.
    And a PCI-Express motherboard and graphics card
    & DDR2 memory
Ask a new question

Read More

Overclocking Product