Core 2 Extreme test

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1970188,00.asp

I was perusing the net and saw that extremetech.com had found got their hands on some Core 2 Extreme. Interesting thing is that the Core 2 Extreme does do very well, however, they do lose out to the EE 965 on PCmark read. They did say that the tests pretty much match all the other tests that have been done so for. The real news to me though is that they have production CPU's not the test CPU's. Looks like a few posters might have to eat their words.
Unfortunately AMD fans won't start eating yet. They will cry foul as usual,

because Intel setup the machines,and the EE was running a slightly higher

FSB. Looks good though. More and more benches are surfacing, and

D-Day is fast approaching for the AMD set. :)

MrsD

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Nobody is crying foul. I think we all acknowledge Intel will regain the lead this year. I think it's harder for us to believe it took them this long. I mean were talking about Intel here, a huge company taking big hits from AMD in the last 2 years. Its about time. I mean Intel is talking about layoff for the first time in their history. What do you mean by Dday? You mean catchup day?
I also think we all acknowledge that AMD will have something nice to show us soon. It may not take the lead but be sure it'll stand its ground.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Nobody is crying foul. I think we all acknowledge Intel will regain the lead this year. I think it's harder for us to believe it took them this long. I mean were talking about Intel here, a huge company taking big hits from AMD in the last 2 years. Its about time. I mean Intel is talking about layoff for the first time in their history. What do you mean by Dday? You mean catchup day?
I also think we all acknowledge that AMD will have something nice to show us soon.

AH...i knew we'd hear from AMD fan #3 or 4. I know, I know....You're

typing this on an Intel Machine..Yada Yada Yada. That seems to be the AMD

fans favourite argument.."bout time". Yeah they put out trash, since they

dropped Northwood. By the time the Intel hurricane goes through, their

history will be just that.....HISTORY. AMD better batten down the hatches,

and a dual processor mobo, isn't going to stop the storm. There are

likely some people who won't mind that route, but how many OEM's are

going to sell mom+dad on a 2P system? And obviously AMD's grasping,

heavily, because the Buzzword up until today was power efficiency, and

2 x FX-62's will suck power like a hydroponics lab. :eek:

MrsD

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Haha. The sound of ignorance.
I'm still laughing about how AMD has owned Intel for the last 2 years.
So seeing Intel just now taking back the lead is humorous in itself.
Theres no Dday you schmuck. AMD has proven year after year it can take all the punches Intel can deliver. Since Intel has lost another 44% of its revenue, just this last quarter and is talking about layoffs, you can guess who's cashing in on that.

julius

Distinguished
May 19, 2004
and youre not an intel fanboy by any means :roll: . i feel for you guys, you had to keep your epenises soft for 2 years, pretty tough. unfortunately, what you said about he oems doesnt make a lick of sense. at the same time, while mom+dad wont look at 2 way systems, theyre not going to go to toms and look up conroe benches either... and the celeron version of conroe wont surface until 07, quite funny as amd will benefit more this time around from the public's ignorance. as for the enthusiast sector, if intel actually retains the lead until 2008 which is probably when im going to do a full system upgrade, then i'll be hopping right on over, especially if nehalem and csi come out in 08, but chances are amd will come out with k10 by then as well, and *gasp* it might win. as for the near term solution, a 2 way system is pretty lame and nobody will bother with it outside of benchers on xtremesystems as its useless for most programs now, but its a solution... as for the power consumtion, im sure two fx62s wont eat up much more power than the 965ee...

julius

Distinguished
May 19, 2004
and youre not an intel fanboy by any means :roll: . i feel for you guys, you had to keep your epenises soft for 2 years, pretty tough. unfortunately, what you said about he oems doesnt make a lick of sense. at the same time, while mom+dad wont look at 2 way systems, theyre not going to go to toms and look up conroe benches either... and the celeron version of conroe wont surface until 07, quite funny as amd will benefit more this time around from the public's ignorance. as for the enthusiast sector, if intel actually retains the lead until 2008 which is probably when im going to do a full system upgrade, then i'll be hopping right on over, especially if nehalem and csi come out in 08, but chances are amd will come out with k10 by then as well, and *gasp* it might win. as for the near term solution, a 2 way system is pretty lame and nobody will bother with it outside of benchers on xtremesystems as its useless for most programs now, but its a solution... as for the power consumtion, im sure two fx62s wont eat up much more power than the pd ee...

49ers540

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
and youre not an intel fanboy by any means :roll: . i feel for you guys, you had to keep your epenises soft for 2 years, pretty tough. unfortunately, what you said about he oems doesnt make a lick of sense. at the same time, while mom+dad wont look at 2 way systems, theyre not going to go to toms and look up conroe benches either... and the celeron version of conroe wont surface until 07, quite funny as amd will benefit more this time around from the public's ignorance. as for the enthusiast sector, if intel actually retains the lead until 2008 which is probably when im going to do a full system upgrade, then i'll be hopping right on over, especially if nehalem and csi come out in 08, but chances are amd will come out with k10 by then as well, and *gasp* it might win. as for the near term solution, a 2 way system is pretty lame and nobody will bother with it outside of benchers on xtremesystems as its useless for most programs now, but its a solution... as for the power consumtion, im sure two fx62s wont eat up much more power than the 965ee...

You are not very smart grass hopper! You fail the discernment test. Go back to your corner and think about your statement as to two fx62's consumming less then 965's.

Okay, you idiot, think about it. By the time AMD comes out with their two dual hores, who's gonna buy them? And who's gonna be still using the 965's??? Conroe is coming out next month! I'm sure not gonna be running a 965 when my conroe will be way better.

k2000k

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Haha. The sound of ignorance.
I'm still laughing about how AMD has owned Intel for the last 2 years.
So seeing Intel just now taking back the lead is humorous in itself.
Theres no Dday you schmuck. AMD has proven year after year it can take all the punches Intel can deliver. Since Intel has lost another 44% of its revenue, just this last quarter and is talking about layoffs, you can guess who's cashing in on that.

in millions of dollars
(Net is after all expenses)

Net revenue
2005: 38,826
2004: 34,209

13% increase!

Operating income 2005: 12,090
Operating income 2004: 10,417

Net income 2005: 8,664
Net income 2004: 7,516

Diluted earnings per share
2005: 1.40
2004: 1.16

The fact that the are underearning through a quarter is no big deal. They will make it up with the conroe

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
I also think we all acknowledge that AMD will have something nice to show us soon. It may not take the lead but be sure it'll stand its ground.

Intel is not taking the server top spot.Not even in 2Way. I find it rather funny that there are no SERVER benchmarks for Woodcrest. No Apache, No SQL. And as far as Conroe, I think Rev F4 of AM2 will get 10% more at all speeds so it won't be as much of a sweep as previously.

And yes I prefer AMD because they were cheap when I needed them to be. Intel is as bad as MS for stabbing competitors in the back.

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006

I think Rev F4 of AM2 will get 10% more at all speeds so it won't be as much of a sweep as previously.

You think? :lol: Your comments are based on what? The fact that you hope AMD is able to pull 10% from nowhere when it seems that AMD have not been able to pull any large gains from it's butt for a while.

STFU sockpuppet. Ah now that feels good.

tmac

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2004
AMD is on the ropes now, and it will be interesting to see what they come up with next year. I just can't see Intel falling asleep at the wheel again.
In other words, Rope a dope, worked great with ALI vs Frazier. But, not here. Let the fun begin.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

I think Rev F4 of AM2 will get 10% more at all speeds so it won't be as much of a sweep as previously.

You think? :lol: Your comments are based on what? The fact that you hope AMD is able to pull 10% from nowhere when it seems that AMD have not been able to pull any large gains from it's butt for a while.

You obviously don't understand how proces technology works. Why was the San Diego better than the ClawHammer? Once they see how to tweak sections to emphasize the greater bandwidth - having a working chip allows better testing and simulation - there will be a NICE increase. It is possible to make your decoders faster or your cache more efficient or your in-flight instructions higher through "transistor tricks." I really don't think you want to challenge me like this. You don't know me.

49ers540

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006

You obviously don't understand how proces technology works. Why was the San Diego better than the ClawHammer? Once they see how to tweak sections to emphasize the greater bandwidth - having a working chip allows better testing and simulation - there will be a NICE increase. It is possible to make your decoders faster or your cache more efficient or your in-flight instructions higher through "transistor tricks." I really don't think you want to challenge me like this. You don't know me.

Since you think you are so smart, why don't you spill your guts on how process works and I'll tell you if you are right or maybe you are just an idiot blowing gas out of his ass.

Caboose-1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
This thread reeks of fanboyism. Just another internet war... It all sounds the same to me anymore. Take Batman for example, he knows what I'm talking about: http://ualuealuealeuale.ytmnd.com/

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006

The thing is I don't much care how processor technology works in detail. What I do look at is the historical evidence that shows that you will almost never get 10% out of a processor that's this old and is still on the same process (90nm) as the previous revision. I'll give an example rather than just give an opinion like you do.

Williamette -> Northwood. Big gain.
Northwood -> Prescott. Little or no gains.

Of course inside Williamette, Northwood and Prescott there were different revisions but looking at them there aren't any that gave 10% gains........ You're simply hoping that they will.

I don't know you and I'm happy not to know you.....

k2000k

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Baron where are your justifications for the 10% increase of AM2 compatible motherboards? I'm not denying that it is not possible, what we have seen from the Conroe shows a major improvement in the processor technology. If you could show some empirical data to support that thesis it would be nice. however, as far as I know there none that exist.

bixplus

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
Mrs. D., slight correction. Intel is not talking about layoffs. This is a common assumption the general public makes every time Intel talks about downsizing. It's never happened, and it won't be happening this time either.