Sign in with
Your question

Sony: PS3 will replace home PC's

Last response: in CPUs
June 1, 2006 7:21:38 PM

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2634
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6152133.html?www.dailytech...

Quote:
"We believe that the PS3 will be the place where our users play games, watch films, browse the Web, and use other [home] computer functions," said Harrison. "The PlayStation 3 is a computer. We do not need the PC."

LMAO. The size of Sony's Executives' heads are gargantuan.

More about : sony ps3 replace home

June 1, 2006 7:24:55 PM

That was funny, browse the web on the PS3, who the hell would do that?
June 1, 2006 7:32:11 PM

Sony: Doing everything we can to be bankrupt by 2012!
Related resources
June 1, 2006 7:46:21 PM

Agreed. It's no secret that Sony's most profitable division is it's gaming division. They're taking an awful risk with all the PS3 missteps.

I hope they go down in flames. I'm so tired of Sony lately.
June 1, 2006 7:51:44 PM

As much as I hate them I'd hate to see a market with just MS and Nintendo. They need a good kick in the ass.
June 1, 2006 7:54:44 PM

Two angles to look at here:

"The PS3 will replace computers"

"The PS3 is a computer and nothing like old fasioned consoles"
June 1, 2006 8:02:34 PM

Gee, what will Sony do with all those Vaios it has, I wonder?
June 1, 2006 8:13:20 PM

Quote:

I like my angle better. It's more misleading. ;-)
June 1, 2006 8:14:25 PM

Put them in the trash, where they belong.
June 1, 2006 8:26:13 PM

But Bestbuy and Circuit City already plenty of them.
June 1, 2006 8:34:44 PM

The only thing that Sony makes that's worth a damn are their TV's. In my opinion.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 1, 2006 8:36:34 PM

Yeah really gotta love it. Its funny how every new console release was suppose to make PC gaming obsolete and it never happened. Now its suppose to replace Pc as a whole.
YAY
June 1, 2006 8:40:10 PM

Why do they not just accept that a console is a console and NOT a PC. Otherwise it would be called a PC.
June 1, 2006 8:45:35 PM

There's very few products I'd buy anymore that are Sony's. As a response on that article says, their products have kept the high price tags but lost the better quality they once had. Sure they have marketting BS to sound like their products are better, but they're the same stuff with maybe a connection or port others don't have.

If they think they're going to replace the PC they are smoking way too much crack. As others said, I highly doubt you'll be able to access the Linux installation without hacking it. Also what about all their other products. Digital cameras, camcorders, etc. Do any of those even have Linux drivers? So if people did get rid of their PCs, they wouldn't be able to sync up with all those devices.

The PS3 looks like a nice piece of machinery, but it'll be a games console, a high def movie player (assuming Blu-ray doesn't fail which I believe it will), and maybe a music player since people will store music on it. No ones going to use it to type word documents even if they could install Open Office (which I personally hate). Barely anyone is probably even going to use the web browser if it has one.

Hell their primary market is the Japanese. The Japanese like cool slick looking interfaces. Console fits the bill, but Linux is far from it.

Sony's problem with this generation is its trying to do too much. It seems to think people are going to bow down before them with cash in hand to have the privilege of buying their console. Just make a f*cking games console with good graphics and everything. While its nice we already have network routers, wireless routers/hubs, and PCs. We're not going to throw them all away because Sony says its console can do all those things too. I'd gladly trade the Blu-ray player, wired and wireless ethernet, and Linux "OS" for a $200 price reduction.
June 1, 2006 8:47:53 PM

Sony has always been like this... they think their s*hit is better than everyone elses. It ain't.

Nearly every single of proprietary technology they've tried to push on consumers (MD, their rip off of MP3, etc) has failed.

And now PS3 is about to fail...
June 1, 2006 8:55:15 PM

That's a bold prediction to make!

Total failure is unlikely, however they're really doing everything to shoot themselves in the foot this time around.

ATRAC and other proprietary formats/software/tech have all been godawful. It takes a big company like Microsoft to be able to pull off releasing a terrible format and still not have it fall flat on its @ss (WMA, anyone?)
June 1, 2006 8:59:56 PM

Hmm...this is pretty stupid when you think about SOny's history...

On the other hand I think the xbox 360 is WAYYYYYY more suited to becoming a "PC" than the PS3 because the xbox (original) was going to be a DVR in early concept...and the 360 from day 1 was supposed to appeal to "everyone" because it is easy to add to your network/media center....

If i had to buy a "home PC console" it would be the 360 since thats basically what MS built and conceived (all software included!)
June 1, 2006 9:04:46 PM

Definitely. One of the biggest reasons I'll probably get a 360 (eventually) is because it's great for playing back video across a network instead of having to build an HTPC. Granted you need MCE2005 or Vista but I have MCE2005 and eventually will get Vista (once they get all the bugs worked out of it).

Only downside is it can't record TV.
June 1, 2006 9:06:20 PM

Quote:

I like my angle better. It's more misleading. ;-)

Actually, wouldn't the end of your initial article quote kinda rule option #2 out : "We do not need the PC". It wouldn't surprise me one but of SONY management to think they can replace PCs.

I really don't like the company philosophy behind SONY and I can only wonder how good they would've been if they had not been so single minded in imposing their standards. Curiously the PS1 and PS2 were popular because they were not imposing these SONY beliefs of world superiority.

Stating that the PS3 will replace Home Entertainment PCs, XBMC Xbox's or any PC for that matter is utterly stupid coming from a company that just recently tried to push their spyware into our CDs....
June 1, 2006 9:11:16 PM

So that means I can install Word on it and make powerpoint presentations and do CAD work and video editing and design websites and do all my code work in this replacement for the PC? Wow I never knew there was such an awesome device . . . sounds like a Mac. Zing.
June 1, 2006 9:17:51 PM

Quote:
The only thing that Sony makes that's worth a damn are their TV's. In my opinion.
That's really about it.
June 1, 2006 9:18:41 PM

Quote:
Definitely. One of the biggest reasons I'll probably get a 360 (eventually) is because it's great for playing back video across a network instead of having to build an HTPC. Granted you need MCE2005 or Vista but I have MCE2005 and eventually will get Vista (once they get all the bugs worked out of it).

Only downside is it can't record TV.

You know what...i bet by the end of its lifecycle you WILL be able to record TV (it has a record button on the 360 remote after all)

But if it doesnt you could always hack it...but then again you could just do that to a regular xbox...

MS has been thinking about integrateing consoles into the entire Media experience for over 6 years...i wonder when Sony all of a sudden thought PS3's are PC replacements...
a c 473 à CPUs
June 1, 2006 9:49:44 PM

Quote:
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2634
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6152133.html?www.dailytech...

"We believe that the PS3 will be the place where our users play games, watch films, browse the Web, and use other [home] computer functions," said Harrison. "The PlayStation 3 is a computer. We do not need the PC."

LMAO. The size of Sony's Executives' heads are gargantuan.

WOW!!!!!!

I want whatever those Sony Executives are smoking.
June 1, 2006 9:58:08 PM

Quote:
The Japanese like cool slick looking interfaces. Console fits the bill, but Linux is far from it.

You obviously haven't done a lot with Linux. You seem woefully misinformed on it's capabilites. Certainly it can look at least as slick as Windows, if not more so.
June 1, 2006 10:00:17 PM

Indeed it is a bold prediction. However, I do believe that the PS3 is the beginning of the end for Sony's playstation. Write it down: M$ will ultimately sell more Xbox 360's than Sony will PS3's.

And that's the ultimate measure of success in the console arena.
June 1, 2006 10:03:20 PM

i roffle at this, i mean christ flakes the PS3 doesnt even have the best graphics anymore PC can equal it out (of course its the high end tec X1900XT or 7900GTX)

but comon, they said the same crap about PS2 and it was graphicy supiour to PCs for 2 months now with delays the PS3 isnt even graphicly supiour

-sorry for my spelling :L i just cant spell T_T
June 1, 2006 10:16:46 PM

Sony is clearly getting afraid of microsoft. Its pretty blatant stating "oh the Ps3 isnt a gaming machine" they know their console is inferior for rendering graphics, the cell is nothing fast neither is the 7800 gtx clocked at 550 mhz. But honestly.... sony come on a gaming console will NEVER replace computers and its a great fact, because our computers keep changing getting faster, evolving around our needs, they dont sit at the same place for 5 years. And Im sorry but id rather not wait 5 minutes for a video to open up on a ps3, with its bottlenecked cell whose spes arent even versatile enough to run an o/s...sorry sony but ILL PASS.
June 1, 2006 10:26:57 PM

You think the Xbox 360 will outsell Sony's Ps3? I doubt it.

I actually own an Xbox 360, and guess what? I've gotten the "red lights of death" 3 different times. It has spent more time at the shop being fixed than under my 42" plasma. And when push comes to shove, I really haven't been THAT impressed with the games. Most of them are glitchy, and I noticed that the AI in the games is really subpar. Don't get me wrong, there are some cool things about Xbox 360...which is why I decided to give it a shot.....but overall I give it maybe a 6.5 out of 10.

Xbox's tech support is kin to Dell's.......does anyone speak English anymore???

Sony's stuff always costs more than everyone else's.
I have a Vaio 10" laptop that completely rocks. Best laptop I have ever owned...but it did cost an arm and a leg. Guess what? So did my Jaguar XJR.

My 60gb Apple ipod cost more than other players as well....but I'll never give that thing up (unless I replace it with a newer model, of course) It does the job I WANT it to do...and I paid the high ticket for exactly that reason.

One thing I will agree on is that these console manufacturer's try to cram too much stuff in these boxes. It's a GAMING CONSOLE. I dig the internet access to play certain games with other folks around the world....but other than that?

Sony will come through just fine, plenty of people are willing to shell out the $$ to check out their next generation of products.

And to put the Xbox 360 above Sony's proven track record seems like a rush to judgement. Like I said, I've got one....and its just not as great as you guys make it sound.

I'll own both, and I bet most of my time is spent on the PS3.

We'll see!
a c 132 à CPUs
June 1, 2006 11:23:03 PM

i seen it quoted elsewhere in here about sony's claim of toystory quality graphics with PS2. I must say PS2 was one of the most under powered piles of crap ever made(unless u like 10-15fps in area's and all multiplayer games). But it sold well. Why? simple Sony has there fanboys(Play Station Zombies - u know the ones that say PS2 looks better then fear,hl2 so on) too. Because of this PS3 will sell.

A computer that(PS3) ain't

On the topic of busted 360's there are also ppl who have no probs. If i remember right when PS2 came out allot went boom quick too. You may not like Nintendo, but they have a hell of a track record(if you dont count the first NES. damn those wore the cart slot quick - remember needing the game genie to play at the end?)

PC all the way!!!!!
June 1, 2006 11:35:25 PM

I'm pretty Sure These Statements were'nt meant to be for us Enthuasists but rather Stupid/ Money wasting Console-only gamers. The on e who have no clue what a Firefox or what a "Keyboard" is. Like the average American inthe GrrrrrrrrrrrrreaT ! states of Minnisoda and Mississippi and Kentucky(fried Chicken)!
June 1, 2006 11:35:42 PM

I just wanted a good console at a good price to play some decent games.

I never asked for a gadget claiming to replace my PC and paying through the nose for it.

I'll buy one, but only after I've kept my cash in my pocket for the first 6 months and Sony then cut the price by half. If they don't, well hey - I can afford to wait longer than they can.
June 2, 2006 12:00:01 AM

Why on earth would I want to run them?
June 2, 2006 12:13:33 AM

:lol:  Yeah right, it could be the center of an entertainment system but replacing pc? Don't make me laugh Sony, how can a $500 piece of device could ever match the capability of a pc. I have no doubt I would be buying this console solely for few games like Grand Turismo and Metal Gear and replace my crappy DVD player but I have no doubt this could match my SLI rig.

Nice try.

:p 
June 2, 2006 12:32:18 AM

You are one of the unlucky 3-5 %, its a great fact that every console launch has its bugs, and ill guarantee you right now, that the ps3 will have even more problems then the 360 especially with the drive, as it is untested technologie as far as getting into the hands of consumers, and with blu-ray drives shipping for over 800 $ do you think they are going to put an expensive drive in? hell no. Also microsoft will have sold 10 million xbox 360's by the time 1 ps3 is sold. They will have a full content library, aged manufacturing and by the time sonys manufacturing yeilds are down, halo 3 will be coming in to steal the thunder, and I think that the biggest franchise in gaming history will have the ability to do so. Microsoft isnt stupid, and I think their design choices are extremly smart, just to add to content library, why do you think the ps2 sold so good ? because of its content. I dont know about you, but I think ms has an extremly good line up for this year, right around the time the ps3 launches. Yes it is true that there are many people that will shell out 600 $ for a console, how ever why do that when there is an opposition with a console that is being sold for 200 $ less ? with a more rich library of content, more user base (at the time) more user friendly design, developed online community....etc. The games for 360 look much better then what we are seeing playable on the ps3, no matter what you would like to say. GOW looks much better then MGS 4 and its cinematic. GT HD looks horrendous, when did paper crowds go away ???, I thought it was a few years ago, I dont know maybe im mistaken, but in pgr 3 all of the crowd is motion captured and they react to your mistakes such as ducking for cover and such if you hit a wall in front of them, I could really go on more about how bad GTHD looks.
June 2, 2006 12:47:47 AM

Wow thats messed up because I got a 360 a month before launch and its has worked fine, when I did have some network problems (my fault) everyone spoke perfect english, why is that, Oh ya because I'm 3 miles away from their call center
June 2, 2006 12:57:46 AM

Consoles will never replace PCs; console games are designed on PCs. Along with the consoles themselves. If the Wii is priced under $200, I'll have to choose between a video card and one of those.
June 2, 2006 1:00:47 AM

Of course consoles will eventually replace PCs. Like PCs will eventually push out consoles.

Someday, the all-in-one-I-can-do-everything media processor will do it, but I agree for the moment, the PS3 is not it.

I'd love to be in the same place as the Sont boardroom. They appear to have reached utopia already...
June 2, 2006 1:01:18 AM

Why are you responding to me?
June 2, 2006 1:02:51 AM

I could say the same, but I won't.
June 2, 2006 1:03:21 AM

I think Sony is realy going down the tubes... Now for my crystal ball prediction !!! *waves his hands around a bit* I predict Nintendo is going to be back in the number one spot ! MS will take 2nd and Sony will be 3rd !!! (Note that MS and Nintendo will change positions several times durring this generation with MS probably taking the lead at the end) How do I make these predictions you ask ? heh I wont tell :) 
June 2, 2006 1:06:15 AM

Quote:
I could say the same, but I won't.

What are you talking about?
June 2, 2006 1:07:38 AM

A mis-understanding.
June 2, 2006 1:15:01 AM

Quote:
As much as I hate them I'd hate to see a market with just MS and Nintendo. They need a good kick in the ass.

This is the biggest reason I don't want to see Sony fail with PS3, since MS would kill Nintendo, being that Nintendo is focused to a different market than XBOX360 and PS3.

I don't think that Sony really beleives the PS3 will replace PCs. I think this is more geared to damage control in the PR space after everyone was upset by the price of PS3. Since then, they have attempted to downplay the PS3 as a game machine and emphasize it as an entertainment machine.

I do think that it could turn out be a viable HTPC replacement, but never a desktop replacement, even for those that don't do anything on their PC but entertain themselves.
June 2, 2006 1:18:37 AM

Ya, I can't see it as a HTPC replacement since neither can play every format, like divx for example. They make pretty decent media extenders though and I think thats where MS wants it to stay.
June 2, 2006 1:20:55 AM

How are we to overclock this thing? :D  Also where does the cooler intake go? :wink:
June 2, 2006 1:32:54 AM

Quote:
That's a bold prediction to make!

Total failure is unlikely, however they're really doing everything to shoot themselves in the foot this time around.

True, but have been buying any UMDs lately? yeah.
June 2, 2006 1:41:13 AM

I think Phil Harrison was talking about the average Joes. A huge number of computer users only use their computer for internet, playing games, and word processing. Since PS3 was running on a linux base, I don't see why these tasks were impossible to accomplish.

Some may say PC games are much better than console games. But I think that is merely just an opinion. Why did PS2 was a huge success? It wasn't because of the graphics. It was because of the huge selection of good games, and I mean good games are game with good contents and story lines - not just eye candies.

Phil Harrison was not talking about the small number of hardcore computer users who would void the warranty of any computer part within days of having them; because they will crack open, modify, push the limit of anything they have on hand to their heart desire.

Average Joes don't run benchmark, don't overclock, don't develope softwares...and they tend to follow strictly to user manual guide line.

Can the Xbox 360 do all the tasks that the PS3 claimed it can do? Sure it can. I personally would like to surf the internet on my 50 in. 1080P TV to see how it feels like.
June 2, 2006 1:59:21 AM

Quote:
I personally would like to surf the internet on my 50 in. 1080P TV to see how it feels like.
While games won't run at that resolution.
June 2, 2006 2:27:36 AM

Quote:
Indeed it is a bold prediction. However, I do believe that the PS3 is the beginning of the end for Sony's playstation. Write it down: M$ will ultimately sell more Xbox 360's than Sony will PS3's.

And that's the ultimate measure of success in the console arena.

I think you mean M$ will give away more xbox 360's than Sony will PS3's.

To sell something means to make money. They ain't making no money on the console. :p 
June 2, 2006 2:29:17 AM

They actually have a plan to make money on the 360.
!