Problem Connecting to internet in StarBucks

November 14, 2004 4:21:02 PM

Don't know why but it seems that all Ipaq 4150 internet explorer have
problem connecting to the web if used in places like StarBucks where you can
surf for free. There is no problem with connecting but only when you open up
IE and you keep getting error message. Anyone with any idea how to overcome
this technical hitch? Checked with MS site for updates to their Pocket PC
2003 IE but found none.
Thanks.
Anonymous
November 14, 2004 4:21:03 PM

"Paul CKK" <pjs@tm.net.my> wrote in message
> Don't know why but it seems that all Ipaq 4150 internet explorer have
> problem connecting to the web if used in places like StarBucks where you
> can surf for free. There is no problem with connecting but only when you
> open up IE and you keep getting error message. Anyone with any idea how to
> overcome this technical hitch? Checked with MS site for updates to their
> Pocket PC 2003 IE but found none.
> Thanks.
It isn't free in Starbucks (at least not here in the UK) you have to pay for
access. You can connect to the network but opening IE will take you to a
page in which you type the code from the previously purchased token.

In my experience, very few of the 'free' access points are, in fact, free.
Virgin megastore in Cardiff are listed as free but operate a similar system.

Ted
Anonymous
November 14, 2004 7:16:46 PM

Well, it is free here in Kuala Lumpur and also when I was in Melbourne last
week, it was free in StarBucks there. Strange thing is I can connect and
surf with my notebook but not with my Ipaq??? Wonder why or if it's cos' the
IE version in the Ipaq 4150 has to be upgraded? If so, I don't find any
upgrade in the MS mobile site?

"Ted Rogers" <ted@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Paul CKK" <pjs@tm.net.my> wrote in message
>> Don't know why but it seems that all Ipaq 4150 internet explorer have
>> problem connecting to the web if used in places like StarBucks where you
>> can surf for free. There is no problem with connecting but only when you
>> open up IE and you keep getting error message. Anyone with any idea how
>> to overcome this technical hitch? Checked with MS site for updates to
>> their Pocket PC 2003 IE but found none.
>> Thanks.
> It isn't free in Starbucks (at least not here in the UK) you have to pay
> for access. You can connect to the network but opening IE will take you to
> a page in which you type the code from the previously purchased token.
>
> In my experience, very few of the 'free' access points are, in fact, free.
> Virgin megastore in Cardiff are listed as free but operate a similar
> system.
>
> Ted

November 14, 2004 7:16:47 PM

Well, you are fortunate then because surfing at Starbucks isn't free here in
the US either. Even some of the really free sites require some actions that
PIE doesn't support. I have had some luck with NetFront, an alternative
browser. In some cases it just took Netfront to get past the login, 'terms
of use acceptance' page to open the internet to my PPC, and then I could
surf with whatever application I wanted, including PIE

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"Paul CKK" <pjs@tm.net.my> wrote in message
news:o 854RJiyEHA.2192@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Well, it is free here in Kuala Lumpur and also when I was in Melbourne
last
> week, it was free in StarBucks there. Strange thing is I can connect and
> surf with my notebook but not with my Ipaq??? Wonder why or if it's cos'
the
> IE version in the Ipaq 4150 has to be upgraded? If so, I don't find any
> upgrade in the MS mobile site?
>
> "Ted Rogers" <ted@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Paul CKK" <pjs@tm.net.my> wrote in message
> >> Don't know why but it seems that all Ipaq 4150 internet explorer have
> >> problem connecting to the web if used in places like StarBucks where
you
> >> can surf for free. There is no problem with connecting but only when
you
> >> open up IE and you keep getting error message. Anyone with any idea how
> >> to overcome this technical hitch? Checked with MS site for updates to
> >> their Pocket PC 2003 IE but found none.
> >> Thanks.
> > It isn't free in Starbucks (at least not here in the UK) you have to pay
> > for access. You can connect to the network but opening IE will take you
> > a page in which you type the code from the previously purchased token.
> >
> > In my experience, very few of the 'free' access points are, in fact,
free.
> > Virgin megastore in Cardiff are listed as free but operate a similar
> > system.
> >
> > Ted

Anonymous
November 15, 2004 2:57:38 AM

That might be a similar problem to one I encountered staying at a Ramada
Inn with a wireless network in-house. I asked and it is free, and was
working, but my Axim X30 (which was running the A02 rom at the time) could
not get online, it was connected with a good connection, but could not
access anything online. I only had IE installed.

things that make you go hmmm....

"Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Well, you are fortunate then because surfing at Starbucks isn't free here
> in
> the US either. Even some of the really free sites require some actions
> that
> PIE doesn't support. I have had some luck with NetFront, an alternative
> browser. In some cases it just took Netfront to get past the login, 'terms
> of use acceptance' page to open the internet to my PPC, and then I could
> surf with whatever application I wanted, including PIE
>
> --
> Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
> "Paul CKK" <pjs@tm.net.my> wrote in message
> news:o 854RJiyEHA.2192@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> Well, it is free here in Kuala Lumpur and also when I was in Melbourne
> last
>> week, it was free in StarBucks there. Strange thing is I can connect and
>> surf with my notebook but not with my Ipaq??? Wonder why or if it's cos'
> the
>> IE version in the Ipaq 4150 has to be upgraded? If so, I don't find any
>> upgrade in the MS mobile site?
>>
>> "Ted Rogers" <ted@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Paul CKK" <pjs@tm.net.my> wrote in message
> you
> you
>> > It isn't free in Starbucks (at least not here in the UK) you have to
>> > pay
>> > for access. You can connect to the network but opening IE will take you
>> > a page in which you type the code from the previously purchased token.
>> >
>> > In my experience, very few of the 'free' access points are, in fact,
> free.
>> > Virgin megastore in Cardiff are listed as free but operate a similar
>> > system.
>> >
>> > Ted

Anonymous
November 15, 2004 2:57:39 AM

I've seen that in some hotels. Normally I have no problems getting online wirelessly in Holiday Inn
or Holiday Inn Express hotels. One Holiday Inn Select in Dallas was a no go....

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

!