Sign in with
Your question

Acceptable Motherboard Temperature?

Last response: in Motherboards
June 1, 2006 9:12:44 PM

I recently built my first computer, and it has temperature sensors in it. The motherboard temperature ranges between 40C and 44C. Should I be concerned about this temperature?

With the computer case cover completely removed, the motherboard temperature will drop 1-2 degrees. With the cover off, wouldn't you expect the motherboard temperature to drop more than 1 or 2 degrees?

These are my current readings, via PC Probe II, which came with the ASUS motherboard:
CPU: 42C
MOBO: 41C
CPU fan: 4560
CHIPSET fan: 6250

I would like to hear any comments or suggestions.

Thanks,
Richard

Motherboard: ASUS A8N-SLI
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice
Memory: 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM
Videocard: connect3D 3038 Radeon X800GTO 256MB
PSU: Antec SmartPower 2.0 500W
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 SATA 160GB
June 1, 2006 9:28:11 PM

Are these gemperatures at idle? That MB temp doesn't sound that bad but your CPU temp looks a little high for idle. What case do you have and what kind of, and how many, case fans do you have?

I would replace your stock hsf for your cpu and replace any 80mm fans on your case with 120mm fans (might involve some case modifications).
June 1, 2006 10:37:16 PM

Yes, the temperatures are at idle.

My case is a SILVERSTONE SST-LC01 ATX Desktop Computer Case with a rear exhaust fan next to the power supply's fan. There is no access vent for a front fan, but there are two side vent openings. I have two ARCTIC 80mm Cooling Fans, but I can't install them over the side vents because the fans are obstructed by internal components.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
June 4, 2006 7:42:04 AM

i'd say the board temp is of most concern, especially given that those are idle temps.... i'm not sure i want to know what the board temp gets to under load.... grab a 120mm case fan if you have room for one, mount at the back blowing out of the case. If there is already one there, mount it at the front (again provided you have room for it).
June 7, 2006 9:51:51 AM

I say its kinda high but nuffink to worry about
!