Sign in with
Your question

Very Interesting Problem - X800GTO 512MB (not O/C)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 1, 2006 11:05:02 PM

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mobo: MSI RS482M4
Processor: AMD K8 Athlon64 3200+ (2GHz)
RAM: DDR 400 (1x512MB, 1x1024MB)
Power Supply: Best Power (somewhere between 400-500)
Hard Drives: 1-Western Digital SATA 250MB, 2-Seagate PATA 40GB
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon X800GTO 512MB (400MHz :: PCI-E_16)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recently purchased a new video card (the X800GTO listed above), installed it, booted up Windows XP, Windows then notified that it Found New Hardware, and successfully determined the new card.

I ran the Installation Driver CD that came with the card, selected the ATI Easy Install, and allowed it to install the necessary drivers. Rebooted the system. I then installed the TRIXX overclocking utility that came on the same CD, ran it, the countdown display went 3..2..1...then the Sapphire 'S' logo began spinning, and this is what happened:

ERROR 1:
1. 5 seconds later, the card began making a loud noise, like the fan was spinning a lot faster
2. Everything froze, then the monitor "clicked" in and out (went black for a few seconds, then reverted to the original display) several times, finally ending with a complete freeze, requiring a reboot.

I thought maybe it was just the program causing this, so I loaded up some games:

Guild Wars - game started fine, increased graphics to max, played the game for about 3 minutes, then closed the game :: no problems
Hitman Blood Money (with newest patch) - got through intro movie sequences, then performed ERROR 1 (listed above) before reaching main menu :: reboot required

I tried Hitman 3 times, and ERROR 1 occured all 3 times. So I went to ATI's website, downloaded and installed the new Catalyst 6.5 drivers, reboot the system, tried Hitman again, and the same problems occured. I uninstalled all the drivers, reinstalled Catalyst 6.5 drivers, loaded up Hitman, got to the main menu this time, and this is what happened:

ERROR 2:
1. The card began making a loud noise, like the fan was spinning a lot faster
2. Started the game (on LOW graphic settings)
3. About a minute into playing, computer froze, with colored lines appearing on the screen, and X800GT fan still omitting a loud noise

The following games were tested afterwards:
Unreal Tournament - ERROR 1 while connecting to server
TRIXX application - ERROR 2 after 3..2..1..'S' logo
Swat 4 - VERY HIGH settings :: no problems, other than loud fan noises
Armadillo Run Demo - ERROR 1 after 30min of gameplay
GTA:SA - VERY HIGH settings (2xAA) :: no problems, other than loud fan noises
Hitman Blood Money - ERROR 1

If anyone has any ideas on what might be causing this, I'd love to hear them. My previous video card was the built-in Radeon EXPRESS 200. It ran all the above games fine (except for Hitman Blood Money, which ran very slow, but still somewhat playable). Any assistance is greatly appreciated, as I am somewhat confused on what might be causing this (I'm thinking it's software-related). Thanks.
June 2, 2006 12:23:25 AM

Uninstall everything again, but this time DON'T install TRIXX. Don't overclcok it at all. (I also hope you haven't flashed the bios yet...) Does it work better? Also, I have no idea what a "Best Power" powersupply is. I've never heard of them, so I already don't like them. See if you can borrow a good psu from a friend to see if that helps.
June 2, 2006 3:55:25 AM

Quote:
Uninstall everything again, but this time DON'T install TRIXX. Don't overclcok it at all. (I also hope you haven't flashed the bios yet...) Does it work better? Also, I have no idea what a "Best Power" powersupply is. I've never heard of them, so I already don't like them. See if you can borrow a good psu from a friend to see if that helps.

Thanks for the reply.

I posted this in my original post, but I already uninstalled the drivers and then reinstalled them, but the problems persisted. Once I realized that TRIXX caused my computer to lock up, I uninstalled it. I haven't touched the BIOS.

Are there any further suggestions? I'm willing to try anything at this point, returning the card being my last option.
Related resources
June 2, 2006 4:41:05 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the reply.

I posted this in my original post, but I already uninstalled the drivers and then reinstalled them, but the problems persisted. Once I realized that TRIXX caused my computer to lock up, I uninstalled it. I haven't touched the BIOS.

Are there any further suggestions? I'm willing to try anything at this point, returning the card being my last option.

Uninstall everything and use ATI drivers from www.ATi.com
June 2, 2006 4:50:53 AM

Quote:

Uninstall everything and use ATI drivers from www.ATi.com

Including Windows XP? This isn't an option for me at the moment, sadly. Also, the 6.5 Catalyst I used was downloaded directly from their site.
June 2, 2006 5:10:25 AM

Quote:
Mobo: MSI RS482M4
Processor: AMD K8 Athlon64 3200+ (2GHz)
RAM: DDR 400 (1x512MB, 1x1024MB)
Power Supply: Best Power (somewhere between 400-500)
Hard Drives: 1-Western Digital SATA 250MB, 2-Seagate PATA 40GB
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon X800GTO 512MB (400MHz)

"Windows then notified that it Found New Hardware, and successfully determined the new card."

You are NOT supposed to let Windows find your new card,the directions specifically advise against that.

Uninstall everybit of ATI/ video card related software you can find...

Then run DriverCleanerPro...get it from here

http://www.drivercleaner.net/professional.html

Please READ THE INSTRUCTIONS....including the part that says to boot into safe mode to run the program..and to DISCONNECT your MODEM..so Windows cant install anything and finally to empty the recycle bin when you are done.

Try this

AND FINALLY...did you correctly plug the additional molex power cable into your new video card...DONT USE one from the SAME run as your HARD DRIVE is connected
June 2, 2006 5:18:05 AM

I recommend that you gloom a copy of the ATITool here www.techpowerup.com/atitool/downloads.php and run it just to determine what you X800GTO is "doing". I have a similar system: AMD64 3200+ w/2x512MB Micron Ballistics ( 2-2-2-8 ) w/2 WD Raptor 37GB SATA and a Sapphire X800GTO 256MB w/BIOS flashed to unlock 4 additional pipes for a total of 16 pipes. HL2 Lost Coast "test" gives 69.2 FPS, which is superior to what my previous Nvidia 6600GT 128 offered (before it croaked). So, unless your R430 GPU is dorky, ya' ought to see a big graphics performance improvement vs. your original on-board GPU. :D 
June 2, 2006 5:36:36 AM

Just a heads up here...There are new Omega drivers based on Cat 6.5..these drivers include the latest ATI Tray Tools 1.0.5.880 ,get them here

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1411

This is the main page for this all around handy site

http://www.guru3d.com/

P4 2.4 Northwood 533/Zalman CNPS 6500Bcu with Papst 92mm Fan
ASUS P4PE
ATI RADEON X800PRO 256 agp/Zalman VF900-cu
June 2, 2006 5:45:32 AM

Quote:

"Windows then notified that it Found New Hardware, and successfully determined the new card."

You are NOT supposed to let Windows find your new card,the directions specifically advise against that.

Uninstall everybit of ATI/ video card related software you can find...

Then run DriverCleanerPro...get it from here

http://www.drivercleaner.net/professional.html

Please READ THE INSTRUCTIONS....including the part that says to boot into safe mode to run the program..and to DISCONNECT your MODEM..so Windows cant install anything and finally to empty the recycle bin when you are done.

Try this

AND FINALLY...did you correctly plug the additional molex power cable into your new video card...DONT USE one from the SAME run as your HARD DRIVE is connected

- I will try using DriverCleanerPro, thanks.

- Plug molex power cable into the video card? I don't fully understand what you mean. The card is plugged into the PCI-Express-16 slot and the monitor cable is plugged into the video card. There is no place to plug in a molex power cable. Elaborate please?
June 2, 2006 5:57:57 AM

I KNEW IT....sorry ..only agp cards use a molex for add'l power...there should be a pci-e addl power cable plugged into your card. if you inspect your card you should see the place to plug in the addl power connector . your card will not work correctly on the juice it gets solely from the pci-e slot,it needs another power connector.
June 2, 2006 6:07:16 AM

Dude :( 
You are kidding, aren't you? If not, you genuinely require tech assistance, 'cause you know not what you do! You may want to pray a bit that you have not fried your R430 GPU! It NEEDS the secondary molex power connector (exactly the same power plug as for your HD) ONLY a separate 12V wire bundle direct from the power supply, so you don't run the risk of underpowering the HD (bad consequences). The "reason" your X800GTO fan was running at max speed was due to low power being supplied by the PCI-e slot itself (it's arbitrarily limited) so, total power needed caused a super high current to flow, thus the excessive heat generated. As Tedmc pointed out, and I heartily recommend, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS ... and, if your card came without instructions, well you're getting them now :D 
June 2, 2006 6:08:12 AM

Quote:
I KNEW IT....sorry ..only agp cards use a molex for add'l power...there should be a pci-e addl power cable plugged into your card. if you inspect your card you should see the place to plug in the addl power connector . your card will not work correctly on the juice it gets solely from the pci-e slot,it needs another power connector.

I will check this out right now and get back to you shortly...
June 2, 2006 6:18:27 AM

Well, I just learned something ... AGP=molex power, PCIe = different power connector. Obviously, I am running the AGP NF3 mobo (Gigabyte) :oops: 
June 2, 2006 6:30:50 AM

Well I'm not really sure what's going on. This is all that came in the box, except for 2 CDs not pictured (notice no instructions, lol):

This is a shot of the back of my tower where the monitor plugs into the video card:

I don't see where a power cable would run to provide additional power to the card, and the card itself has no connectors for this. Don't know whether you guys are thinking of something else or not...
June 2, 2006 6:52:20 AM

Here is your definitive answer...click the link and read in the sidebar on the right hand side
From the Sapphire website

http://www.sapphiretech.com/us/productfiles/119brochure...

MAKE SURE YOU DONT MISS THE PART THAT SAYS "CONNECTION TO THE SYSTEM POWER SUPPLY IS REQUIRED!!!!!!!!

ah well...look at the very back side of the card...i think pcie power connectors have 6 pins (It will be a recepticle thingy with pins inside it) The card may well be labeled 12V/pci-e2near it )
June 2, 2006 8:03:57 AM

Quote:
Here is your definitive answer...click the link and read in the sidebar on the right hand side
From the Sapphire website

http://www.sapphiretech.com/us/productfiles/119brochure...

MAKE SURE YOU DONT MISS THE PART THAT SAYS "CONNECTION TO THE SYSTEM POWER SUPPLY IS REQUIRED!!!!!!!!

ah well...look at the very back side of the card...i think pcie power connectors have 6 pins (It will be a recepticle thingy with pins inside it) The card may well be labeled 12V/pci-e2near it )

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, there is no connector on the video card. Take a look:

Also, on the box, the part about needing the 12V video card power connector is missing. I tried the DriverCleaner method you listed above and that didn't seem to work either.

What could it be?...
June 2, 2006 8:37:58 PM

Anyone? :cry: 
June 7, 2006 7:06:55 PM

Just an update -

No solution has been found yet. I've tried almost all the suggestions posted, and learned that my power supply is a 500. I've also tried the Omega drivers instead, still with no luck.

Currently, I'm sending the card back to the shop for testing in hopes of finally finding a solution.

Thanks to all who posted suggestions. I'll update this thread again with the solution to my problem once/if it is found.
June 9, 2006 9:17:50 PM

FINAL UPDATE!

So I finally managed to track down what was causing my video card problem. Turns out, the games/apps I was running had to be played/viewed in FULL SCREEN. The games I was testing and the Trixx application were being played in a 800x600 window (my resolution is 1024x768). I guess the card didn't like things running in a window. Now when I play games in full screen, the fan noise isn't as loud and I've managed to play through Hitman a few times without any glitches.

Hopefully this will come in handy for those that run into a similar problem. I originally didn't bother writing out that I was playing some games in window mode because I really didn't think it mattered. With the onboard video card, I did this all the time and nothing went wrong. Oh well, I guess that's just how it is.

Thanks again to all those who helped out!

---------------------------------------------------------------
Problem: Game/App freezes and video card fan speeds up/makes a lot of noise (only happens with certain programs)
Solution: Try executing these programs in full screen rather than window mode.
!