WHAT IS VIIV ??????

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Hi.

Can someone tell me what is Viiv ??
I am a long time reader on THG and I have no idea what this Viiv is.
All I can tell it's a computer in the living room. How is this any different than putting my notebook PC in the living room with a wireless keyboard ???

Is Viiv:
a chipset?
Wireless Video ?
a game-pad?
a more PC like game console that blows away the PS3 ?
a standby power supply?
Advanced voice and face recognition merging top-down to button-up cognition identifies different people from across the room?
a peice of wood to hold a real PC in place?

Sorry, I don't see anything new here.
What is the big deal ? If any?

Thanks!

riva2model64

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2006
I, too, have been wondering for some time what viiv is. I heard from some sources that viiv is. I heard from somewhere that it was a fancy word for 64-bit capabilities, but i may be wrong. But just think about it, what is VIIV? Is it the roman numeral for 6 and 4? You probably have already checked
this, but here is Intel's "what is it?" web page concerning viiv:
http://www.intel.com/viiv/whatisit.htm

noblekitty

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
It is a marketing name Intel use to call those PCs that were built and met certain specs requirement to serve as a home entertainment center or HTPC.

It is like the name centrino, which were given to laptops that use intel cpus, intel chipset, and intel wifi controller all in one system. Same thing goes for AMD Live!

For the Viiv itself, I don't really know what it is; 53 may be? or VI=6, IV=4? or may be because the ViiV assemble a picture of 2 rabit antenas with 2 humans in the middle, hinting for a TV related product?

Either way, I don't think it was a good name and even Intel said that they are going to stop using it.

riva2model64

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2006
The Intel Centrino is an actual CPU, codenamed Dothan (P4 M and Celeron M i believe are Dothan as well, but they each have their subtle differences), loosely based on the PIII Tualitan core. A non-netburst processor,, it is quite different than Intel's desktop offerings,
its netburst Pentium 570s and Pentium Ds and what not. Correct me if im wrong, but one of the mobo companies is making a chipset called the 945GT that has support for Dothan and Dothan-based CPUs, such as Centrino or Core Duo, for their advantages like low power usage, efficiency, rarity and some other reasons people like the core so much.

sailer

Splendid
Hi.

Can someone tell me what is Viiv ??
Sorry, I don't see anything new here.
What is the big deal ? If any?

Thanks!

Let me think. Yes, I saw some numbers on a wall when I visited Italy that matched that. A failed architecture or name or something. Confused the heck out of me and even the Italians weren't sure what it meant. I predict similar results here; confused people, failed name or whatever, just meaningless numbers carved on a wall.

djkrypplephite

Distinguished
May 15, 2006
The Intel Centrino is an actual CPU, codenamed Dothan (P4 M and Celeron M i believe are Dothan as well, but they each have their subtle differences), loosely based on the PIII Tualitan core. A non-netburst processor,, it is quite different than Intel's desktop offerings,
its netburst Pentium 570s and Pentium Ds and what not. Correct me if im wrong, but one of the mobo companies is making a chipset called the 945GT that has support for Dothan and Dothan-based CPUs such as Centrino or Core Duo for their advantages.
No it's not. Centrino is the name of Intel's mobile platform, containing a Pentium M CPU, an Intel chipset, and an Intel wireless card. The CPU itself is called the Pentium M, which like you said is loosely based on the P3 architecture. There are two cores for the Pentium M, Banias, the first one with 1 MB cache, and Dothan, the second generation core with 2 MB. They new Centrino CPUs are Yonah cores, which are essentially improved Dothans with SSE3, fron which the 'Core' series of CPUs is derived. While they are vastly different, it is basically where the ideas came from.

The Intel Centrino is an actual CPU
I am sure as said above it is a system. Intel Centrino Moble Technology. It is a system for longer batterly life in laptop's by use of intels low power chipsets,WiFi cards and Pentium M or core duo processors. A Pentium M is a Pentium M... not a Dothan. Dothan is the core, kind of like Claw Hammer and New Castle and Northwood and Prescott(Ewwwww) and so on.....Just to clear things up....

riva2model64

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2006
Is that so? Sorry, thanks for letting me know!. Always thought otherwise. I see you are right. I personally have a Celeron M computer but was threw off since I've seen some products advertised claming "Intel Centrino". So I uh, kind of assumed it was some variation of Dothan. Well, the MSI 945GT is availble if you want to build a desktop system with laptop processor like Celeron M or Core Duo. The odd thing is that they're on socket 478. I thought they all used 775 these days That would be interesting, but I'm 17 and I don't quite have the funds-yet.

noblekitty

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
Oh yeah?
I have a notebook with a T2600 inside and guess what? it has a Centrino sticker on it too.

better yet, read this article ( i know its old, but it will help to refresh the memories of those that are still confused):

http://www.mobilityguru.com/2003/02/05/the_first_pentium/

and straight from it:
If you think that the Centrino is merely a new processor for notebooks, then Intel's marketing squad is going to tell you a thing or two. Because lying beneath the Centrino, including the Centrino Mobile Technology, is a combination of the new mobile processor Pentium-M (codenamed "Banias"), the new Intel 855 chipset family ("Odem," "Montara-GM"), and a WLAN adapter in mini-PCI format called Calexico, which is based on the 802.11b/a standard. Only notebooks with this whole package have Intel's approval to carry the name 'Centrino Notebook.' As soon as one of the above is missing, it ain't Centrino no more.