ATI FireGL4 128 vs Nvidia 6600 256?

richter

Distinguished
May 5, 2005
Hi, this may be the dumbest post ever, but I can't seem to compare these 2 :S .

I have an Nvidia 6600 256 and I'm very happy with it's performance, but in a recent system upgrade, my supplier treated me with an "special offer" and offered me an ATI FireGL 128.

The card is about 2-3 years old, so, it's not a new FireGL model, but in my experience, age means squat when it comes to graphic cards (my favourite card ever was a Vodoo3 16 mb :D ). Still I'd really like to know witch is best.

So, I have a couple of questions

The FireGL is labeled a "pro board" by ATI, so, it's supposed to kick ass when it comes to hardware graphic functions and processing right? Do you think it outmatches the 6600, or does a recent standart game card have the capabilites of a 2-3 years old "pro card"?

Will the FireGL handle recent games as well or is it only 3D-Work oriented (in terms of performance, Graphics and drivers)?

I can't provide the full description for the FireGL card because I don't have it yet (its on route), I just know it was "standart equipment" for the HPX4000 workstation (and it was removed from one), and that It should be about 2-3 years old

The destination box, so to speak, is equipped with an Tyan S2603 board, 2 intel xeon processors at 2.0 each and 1 gb rimm at 800. I would try it out and figure out by myself, but I can't power off that computer unless it's really necessary and so, if I could gather some informations to help me decide it would be very nice.

Thanks for your input on this ;)

firepyro555

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
It matters what you want to use the graphics card for, the FireGL series and the Quadro series gpu's are all designed for cad and rendering, they aren't geared towards games, this is because they run extra drivers and programs in the back ground. If you really wanted a nice gaming card, you shouldn't go for the FireGL