Thermal adhesives???

wun911

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
Are there any glues out there that can conduct heat and glue ram sinks and GPU heat sinks??

Will the glue lose its stickness when the ram or GPU warms up?

How strong is the glue?

Can I glue an intel stock cooler to my old video card? (MSI 5500 128Mb AGP + Intel stock cooler) hehehe

Is the glue just as effective at conductiong heat as say AS5?

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I've used JB-Weld a long time, it works pretty good. Artic Silver Adhesive works better. Both are metal-filled epoxies.

Thats an awesome tip... I have used JB Weld on so many things but I never thought to use it for heat sinks !!! and it is metal based ! I may just have to try it lol

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Like any other thermal material, you'll want to have as thin a film as possible. And it's thicker than most pastes, so you'll have to make sure to put it on thin and use adequate pressure to flatten it/squeeze out the bubbles/etc.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Oh, and another thing: JB weld cures faster in heat. I've been known to put graphics cards in the oven before...at 120F, just to get the stuff to cure in half an hour. If you can't get your oven that low, well, 150F is enough to start damaging caps methinks.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Like any other thermal material, you'll want to have as thin a film as possible. And it's thicker than most pastes, so you'll have to make sure to put it on thin and use adequate pressure to flatten it/squeeze out the bubbles/etc.
I've thought of using it also, as i have some, but
i wondered whether it would be better or worse, if you could mix in some
AS5 with it? :?

Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004
What about the thermal tape that comes with different RAM sinks?
Anybody know how effective this is?

I've used it on a few things & have not been able to remove them easily afterwards.
3M Brand.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
What about the thermal tape that comes with different RAM sinks?
Anybody know how effective this is?

I've used it on a few things & have not been able to remove them easily afterwards.
3M Brand.
I use, it and it works ok, and comes off if you need, but i highly doubt that it

will transfer the heat 1/2 as well as good thermal paste. :?

wun911

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
Thanks for your help.

I have decided to use normal AS5 then in the 4 corners and around the edges I will use somethink like super glue or alderite strong hold.

Im hopeing the AS5 in the middle will transfer the heat and the glue around the edges will hold the HSF on.

Im going to do this for my old MSI 5200 FX....

And im also thinking of glueing 2 old intel heat sinks to my WD raptor. hehehehe

wun911

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
I heat that the AS5 adhesive is made of 2 tubes

AS5 in one tube and the adhesive in the second tube

if you put more of the adhesive it will stick better but wont conduct heat as well.

I dont mind spending the money on AS5 adhesive it would be about the same in cost as buying a AS5 and a tube of super glue.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I believe you're mistaken. Epoxy is a 2-part solution, one part adhesive and the other part catalyst. It wouldn't surprise me of AS put all the silver in one of the two parts, but that still doesn't make the silvery part the same thing as AS paste.

The carrier in the paste is probably some kind of oil, whereas it would be one of the components in the AS adhesive.

That is, unless the people at AS are just oddballs.

Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004
http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_thermal_adhesive.htm
http://www.arcticsilver.com/adhesive_instructions.htm

Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive is designed to be mixed 1:1, that is equal amounts of Part A and Part B. Varying the ratio of the mix will not significantly affect the curing time, but may affect the strength of the final bond. DO NOT attempt to alter the cure time by altering the ratio. An accurate ratio is essential for a proper cure and full development of physical properties. Mixed in the proper ratios, Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive has a pot life of 3 to 4 minutes at normal room temperatures.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
i wondered whether it would be better or worse, if you could mix in some AS5 with it?

I personally would not play amateur chemist with adhesives and thermal greases,mainly because the cure rate of epoxies can be affected by things like adding oxidizable chemicals or high-surface-area metals, etc. If the cure rate of the epoxy increases, so does the exothermicity of the reaction. You might even melt a chip, although I doubt it since the quantity of epoxy is very small. At the very least, I would test first with parts that have little or no value, like your neighbor's computer. You could try calling or emailing AS to see what they have to say. It's remotely possible that it would work.