generally I prefer:
Floppy
CD
Hard Drive

although some people will say it slows down your boot time..... in reality, it onlys slows it down by a couple seconds (if even that) unless we are talking about a really old comp here....

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
generally I prefer:
Floppy
CD
Hard Drive

although some people will say it slows down your boot time..... in reality, it onlys slows it down by a couple seconds (if even that) unless we are talking about a really old comp here....

I turn off floppy seek anyways. :wink:

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
Anything is fine, but you'll never be able to boot from a cd or floppy that way, unless of course you change the boot order....or, if the HD fails. :wink:

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
thanks pain for the reply.

it works just the same for SATA Hard Disk right ?

Each board handles it differently. Sometimes SATA is considered SCSI, and sometimes it's listed as only SATA, without listing SATA1, 2, 3, etc.

mad_fitzy

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
I like the order
- CD-ROM
- HDD

The reason i like that is because whenever I have to boot off a cd i dont have to go to the bios and change the boot order.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
I like the order
- CD-ROM
- HDD

The reason i like that is because whenever I have to boot off a cd i dont have to go to the bios and change the boot order.

Depends on your motherboard. With my ASUS boards, i can hit F8 at the

beginning of the boot process, and i get a boot menu. Then i can pick

from the available choices, no need to enter the BIOS. Most convenient.

:)

Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004
This is my preffered boot order

1. hard drive (or CD/DVD when formating)
2. disable (hard drive when formating)

I only change the order when/if I need to.

ara

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
same thing but F11 (don't all boards have that?) (MSI board here)

normally:
raid (OS)
disabled
disabled

Ara

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
This is my preffered boot order

1. hard drive (or CD/DVD when formating)
2. disable (hard drive when formating)

I only change the order when/if I need to.
me too.

booting from a cd or floppy is very rare to me, then i set the hd to boot first

dwave

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
For me:

CD
HD

Don't have a floppy drive in my computer, I think they are just about useless anymore but I do keep one on hand just in case.

Multiplectic

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
Depends on your motherboard. With my ASUS boards, i can hit F8 at the beginning of the boot process, and i get a boot menu. Then i can pick from the available choices, no need to enter the BIOS. Most convenient. :)

It's the same thing with me. I always set it to boot ONLY with the HDD, and, when I need to format, I can hit F8 and choose which unit to boot from. Simply fantastic.
My old MSI K7N2 Delta-L also had the same option, a little bit more simple, but it was there. I've seen it also in an Intel mobo, the D101GCC. I don't know if any other Intel mobo has it. 8)

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
For me:

CD
HD

Don't have a floppy drive in my computer, I think they are just about useless anymore but I do keep one on hand just in case.

How can you say they are just about useless, then say i keep one

around, just in case.That's like saying a spare tire is just about useless,

but i have one just in case. Nobody with half a brain drives around

without a spare tire. :wink:

Is there a preferred boot order between the floppy, a CD drive, and a boot drive?

When first building a new machine I usually set the boot order to be:
1-floppy
2-CDROM
3-HDD0

However, once I've completed all the hardware updates and driver installs, I change the boot order to be:
1-HDD0
2-CDROM
3-floppy

With this, you have to go into the BIOS and change the order, if necessary...meh, so what, but c'mon, how hard is it to do that? Really tho, it's whatever order floats your boat and works best for you.

Also...
I wouldn't say a floppy is useless...a necessary evil, but not useless, that's why you keep one on hand, right? :wink:

I would say for a total enthusiast/gaming machine, you can get away w/o a floppy, but is you've got a workstation or are using a RAID device, I haven't found a way to not have a floppy...methinks the floppy drive is one of those legacy hardware devices that will be around until times end...could be worse, we could be forced to maintain a 5.25 floppy for low level boots... :lol:

dwave

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
Ah, but notice I did say "just about". I know that RAID drivers comes on them, but I don't think that they will be around forever just for drivers. You are right about the 5 1/4 inch drives, they really are useless and I am glad we don't have them any more.

1Tanker, it is about useless to me, I have not used one in over 5 years. I keep one on hand for computer repair reasons and just in case I ever decide to get RAID or what not. I run a repair buisness and I keep one on hand for the times when I need to make a floppy for what ever reason.

Oh and spare tires are over rated anyways! :D

superbrett2000

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
what about this order ?

hardisk
cd-rom
floppy

is it fine?
------

Personally, I would have your hard disk last. Its up to you though.

On my laptop I set my hard disk to be the first boot device for obvious security/theft reasons. No free rides for anyone that wants to steal my laptop. Youre gonna have to work to get it up and running!