Sign in with
Your question

7800gtx hits boiling temp!

Last response: in Overclocking
June 2, 2006 7:47:33 AM

lately my XFX7800GTX has been hitting 100 degres celcius when running games such as oblivion and the hitman blood money demo, even on 1024x768!! At that temp, i now boil my water on the card to make my monring tea.
Anyway, i went to the nearest stor where i live and found they have 2 coolers available. The thermaltake tidewater liquid cooling kit, and the Zalman VF700-Al/Cu air cooler.
The prices (converted into dollars) are as follows:

thermaltake tidewater : $120
Zalman VF700-Al/Cu : $50

Now the thing is, i dont mind paying the extra price of the tidewater, but as long as my graphics card can no longer boil anything!! Or even reach close to boiling anything!! i need to know if anyone has own this particular card or any of these coolers and the load temps he/she has reached with them.
If the zalman can make my load temp reach <80 , then ill be happy with that, but i need to know for sure that it will do that, i mean, who knows i think my stock cooler is busted, and even replacing it with another stock cooler will fix the problem, but i need to know something!!
Any info will be much appreciated,
thanks in advance :) 
mo
June 2, 2006 8:46:46 AM

Damn that's hot! Tom's Hardware has a review somewhere on the tidewater. Just do a search for it and see the results for yourself.
June 2, 2006 8:49:43 AM

water cool the gpu and cpu swiftec style
Related resources
June 2, 2006 10:41:44 AM

Quote:
water cool the gpu and cpu swiftec style

these two are the only available ones here
June 2, 2006 11:00:24 AM

Quote:
Damn that's hot! Tom's Hardware has a review somewhere on the tidewater. Just do a search for it and see the results for yourself.

yeah but the card is a x800xl, i wanna know how it cools a 7800gtx
June 2, 2006 11:31:01 AM

To be honest I would try re seating the cooler. And/or unscrewing the cover of the heatsink and removing any dust from clearways of the heatsink. I have that exact card running at 65-70C after 1 hours load.
June 2, 2006 12:13:56 PM

I have that exact same card and I feel comfortable saying you have a case air-flow problem... I know for a fact my case doesn't have perfect airflow (no... far from it) but my card idles around 50C and when gaming in Oblivion it peaks in the upper 70's... hot? Yes. Sustainable? Sure. My card lists its throttle speed at 115C (the temperature at which it'll reduce its clock speed in order to prevent damage)

A case fan will likely work wonders for your rig... an intake in the front and an exhaust in the back.
June 2, 2006 12:42:31 PM

Quote:
To be honest I would try re seating the cooler. And/or unscrewing the cover of the heatsink and removing any dust from clearways of the heatsink. I have that exact card running at 65-70C after 1 hours load.

my temps used to be like u for atleast the first 3 months when i bough the card (as far as i can remember)
yeah i think ill what u said, but just one question, do i need to reapply thermal paste?
June 2, 2006 12:46:59 PM

Quote:
I have that exact same card and I feel comfortable saying you have a case air-flow problem... I know for a fact my case doesn't have perfect airflow (no... far from it) but my card idles around 50C and when gaming in Oblivion it peaks in the upper 70's... hot? Yes. Sustainable? Sure. My card lists its throttle speed at 115C (the temperature at which it'll reduce its clock speed in order to prevent damage)

A case fan will likely work wonders for your rig... an intake in the front and an exhaust in the back.

my friend also suggested the same thing to me, but think about it logically, will bad air flow increase the core temperature ofa graphics card by over 30 degrees? i really doubt it, especially since i already have a case fan installed.
June 2, 2006 12:51:35 PM

here is a new update for u guys, i really doubt my dad will pay $120 for the liquid cooler, no matter how good it it, so my options all fall on the zalman vf700 al-cu cooler.
can anyone with the same card as mine and same cooler tell me what kind of cooling performance i am going to expect out of it? i know it is not the best air cooler out there, but it is certainly one of the best right?
thanks for any info!
June 2, 2006 1:23:16 PM

i would try organizing the cables in order to unblock air flow. Also, clean the dust from all fans and the cpu/gpu heatsink. If the heatsink is full of dust, hot air will get stuck inside your case. Also, as rodney said, try to add a case fan exhausting hot air, maybe another one for cold air intake.
I would try this before going to a more expensive solution.
June 2, 2006 2:04:29 PM

Quote:
i would try organizing the cables in order to unblock air flow. Also, clean the dust from all fans and the cpu/gpu heatsink. If the heatsink is full of dust, hot air will get stuck inside your case. Also, as rodney said, try to add a case fan exhausting hot air, maybe another one for cold air intake.
I would try this before going to a more expensive solution.

my case temperature is only a couple of degrees higher than my room temperaturem so i really doubt my air flow is bad in my case, and as i said before, and besides, im tired of this cooler (its too loud), i just want a new one, but i need to perform good, so that is why i need anyone with the same cooler and card to post there temps.
June 2, 2006 2:57:36 PM

Quote:

my friend also suggested the same thing to me, but think about it logically, will bad air flow increase the core temperature ofa graphics card by over 30 degrees? i really doubt it, especially since i already have a case fan installed.

Wow!!! A single case fan?!? Awesome... clearly your rig should be running at sub-zero temperatures with ONE CASE FAN!!! AWESOME!!! Probably should just RMA that card because you obviously don't have a air flow problem with your ONE CASE FAN!!!
June 2, 2006 2:59:29 PM

changing the cooling system might be a good idea.
but maybe u should check on other things first before decide 2 buy a new gpu cooler.

1. check your room temperature, maybe it's 2 hot
2. your case fan, or may be it lack of ventilation so the gpu cooler sucks hot air from the case
3. maybe something wrong with your stock gpu cooler. maybe a problem with the position of the heatsink....
4. try 2 run 100% fan and check again the temp at full load.

if none of the above make any effect, well u just have 2 buy a new cooler :) 

u should check arctic cooling accelero.... preety nice IMO

good luck with solving your problem man
June 2, 2006 2:59:52 PM

changing the cooling system might be a good idea.
but maybe u should check on other things first before decide 2 buy a new gpu cooler.

1. check your room temperature, maybe it's 2 hot
2. your case fan, or may be it lack of ventilation so the gpu cooler sucks hot air from the case
3. maybe something wrong with your stock gpu cooler. maybe a problem with the position of the heatsink....
4. try 2 run 100% fan and check again the temp at full load.

if none of the above make any effect, well u just have 2 buy a new cooler :) 

u should check arctic cooling accelero.... preety nice IMO

good luck with solving your problem man
June 2, 2006 3:03:47 PM

I think there is an underlying issue. It should get no where close to those temps. You could probably fix the problem just by removing and reinstalling the HSF. Does your case have any airflow in it at all? You should be able to fix that problem without installing water cooling....
June 2, 2006 3:05:36 PM

Quote:
here is a new update for u guys, i really doubt my dad will pay $120 for the liquid cooler, no matter how good it it, so my options all fall on the zalman vf700 al-cu cooler.
can anyone with the same card as mine and same cooler tell me what kind of cooling performance i am going to expect out of it? i know it is not the best air cooler out there, but it is certainly one of the best right?
thanks for any info!

No matter how fancy the copper/aluminum heat sink is... it does not make heat disappear... it just moves it... even when a fan is blowing over it, the heat isn't disappearing... it's being shifted to another part of your case. If you have restricted air flow, a good heatsink and fan WILL initially lower your temps, but after extended use, poor ventilation will push the temps right back to where they were as your case heats up.

In case I missed it in this post, what case are you using and how many fans are being used? If you've got a generic case with a single 80 mm exhaust fan, you're just pissing in the wind by looking for a GPU cooler.
June 2, 2006 3:51:56 PM

Check out this article today on Toms... it includes a discussion of graphics cards and cooling:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/06/02/graphics_card_qu...

Basically, the way things are organized in a standard system, a lot of the heat a graphics card creates just gets trapped under the card because the card is not in the path of the case airflow.
June 2, 2006 4:08:29 PM

Quote:
thanks for any info!

No matter how fancy the copper/aluminum heat sink is... it does not make heat disappear... it just moves it... even when a fan is blowing over it, the heat isn't disappearing... it's being shifted to another part of your case. If you have restricted air flow, a good heatsink and fan WILL initially lower your temps, but after extended use, poor ventilation will push the temps right back to where they were as your case heats up.

In case I missed it in this post, what case are you using and how many fans are being used? If you've got a generic case with a single 80 mm exhaust fan, you're just pissing in the wind by looking for a GPU cooler.
i think he is making up all this story to win the watercooler from his daddy. He will show the forum where everybody says: "go ahead and buy the watercooler", then his father will think it will solve the problem and buy it
June 2, 2006 4:46:41 PM

Quote:
thanks for any info!

i think he is making up all this story to win the watercooler from his daddy. He will show the forum where everybody says: "go ahead and buy the watercooler", then his father will think it will solve the problem and buy it
Agreed. What a pointless post... based on his responses it's pretty clear he already knew what he wanted to do... why even bother asking for opinions if you've already made up your mind?
June 2, 2006 5:17:18 PM

bad airflow would increase it that much..... think about it. If you have something that gets hot.... which is cooled by air cooler than itself. If the only air cooling it, is the hot air that is trapped next to it.... wouldn't that air just get hotter and hotter? Of course it would, which could also be cause by the HSF being clogged with dust. No air flow through the card.....
June 3, 2006 7:52:51 AM

rodney_ws, it is clear from the replies you have been sending, that you are trying to prove to me that you are mentally retarted.
Its either that or you cannot read english and are just trying to advertise your sexy avatar on the top left of your post.
To all those with who CAN read english and do understand, let me make something clear to u.

I DO NOT HAVE A CASE FLOW PROBLEM!!

I have a thermaltake shark with A 120mm fan just above the graphics card. Moreover, my cpu cooler is faced in a direction where it will suck hot air from in the case and expell it right out of the back of the case. As well as that, my power supply has 2 fans (1 120mm and 1 80mm) which work together to suck any hot air that rises up through my case up and out through the other side of the psu (out the back of the case)

To make things clear, I DO NOT want any posts saying "you have bad airflow in your case"!! I DO understand that there may be a problem with the stock cooler, however, i have had the same problem with my cpu stock cooler before, and the problem WAS solved by just installing a 3rd party cooler, which I DO intead to do this time.

So please, If you do want to reply, please post something on the cooling performance of the zalman vf-700 al-cu on a 7800gtx, links to any sites is ok as long as it includes that cooler and that card.
thank you!
June 3, 2006 8:01:49 AM

Quote:
thanks for any info!

My case has 2 120mm fans, one in the bottom front and one in the back.
I would presume that it is enough.
June 3, 2006 12:40:40 PM

I agree that the amount of fans you have is enough. As long as front is blowing and the back is sucking. All I am really trying to do is keep you from wasting your money. You would get by just fine by removing the stock cooler, which you would have to do if you bought any other form of cooling anyway, clean it, including the old thermal paste, and then reinstall it. The GTX's do not run very hot, and the stock cooler they come with is adequate if it is working properly. If you do a google(search) with "zalman vf-700 7800gtx" you will pull up some results. Most people had between 3-6C cooler at idle and around 15C cooler under constant load. So, yes.... your card would run cooler.... but, if I were you, I would do the above, remove clean and reinstall HSF and see if it makes a difference, then if you decide you still need the aftermarket cooler.... then.... go for it....
June 3, 2006 1:44:04 PM

Just like the Zalman the Artic Cooling Silencer 5 Rev. 3 is a very good product. However I find it much better than the Zalman for the Artic Silver exhaust out the hot air towards the back of the case and outside rather than recirculating it back inside. With this it help cools down the ambient temp inside the case thus cooler other components as well.

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/vga2.php?idx=40

I have tried this myself with my rig and they are very silent and powerful. One thing to consider about them good vga coolers like this Artic Cooling and Zalman is it's size for they can take up two more slots so be sure to check the dimensions and the space you have inside the case.

Using a good thermal paste like the Artic Silver would improve cooling by 3c-5c lower. My 7800GTX 256Mb with the stock cooler was idling at 60c and 70c full load in a 30c room temp, and with the Artic Cooling Silencer 5 Rev. 3 vga cooler with Artic Silver thermal paste my card idles at 48c and never goes over 60c on full load playing FEAR or BF2. The noise is quiet also and I can barely hear it.

Here is one review of this VGA cooler:

http://www.3dxtreme.net/index.php?id=acnvsilencer5rev31

This is a very good product and it's a very good solution for you card not to mention it's way cheaper than the Tide water cooler. :wink:
June 3, 2006 1:48:48 PM

Quote:
I agree that the amount of fans you have is enough. As long as front is blowing and the back is sucking. All I am really trying to do is keep you from wasting your money. You would get by just fine by removing the stock cooler, which you would have to do if you bought any other form of cooling anyway, clean it, including the old thermal paste, and then reinstall it. The GTX's do not run very hot, and the stock cooler they come with is adequate if it is working properly. If you do a google(search) with "zalman vf-700 7800gtx" you will pull up some results. Most people had between 3-6C cooler at idle and around 15C cooler under constant load. So, yes.... your card would run cooler.... but, if I were you, I would do the above, remove clean and reinstall HSF and see if it makes a difference, then if you decide you still need the aftermarket cooler.... then.... go for it....

Thanks weskurtz81 for your sensible reply. i will try to do what you said and reply back as soon as i've done so, just a quick quesiton though,

since i have to clean off the old thermal paste, i presume i will have to re-add new paste, so will it matter if i use some of the leftover paste from the one i got with the thermaltake typhoon heatsink?
June 3, 2006 1:53:52 PM

You should get some good thermal paste like the Artic Sivler 5 but if you must then you can't use any thermal paste. :D 
June 3, 2006 3:17:54 PM

There probably would not be more than a few degrees difference in temps between the one you have and AS5. I really only use AS5 and recommend it.... but in all honesty.... it probably does not matter much as long as it isn't a really crappy paste. They probably would not sell it with the card if it would not work.... or where ever you picked it up. Now be really careful when you are doing this...... continue to ground yourself throught the process... preferably on your case... bare metal. Clean with Alcohol, and do not apply to much paste.... but, make sure to apply enough.... it also wouldn't hurt to take two shots at it to make sure the first application was the correct amount. Just letting you know as to help you as much as possible. Not aware of your experience in this area. Just remember.... it probably does not take as much as you think. I am interested to see how it goes, IE... if the temps drop or not.... post back when you are done when you get a chance....
wes
June 4, 2006 11:20:59 AM

thanks weskurtz and Chuckshissle for your very helpfull replies :-)
Chuckshissle, the Actric silencer rev.3 was on my top priority list for vga coolers, however, it is not available here and so i must resort to buying the zalman.
I will go out and buy the arctic silver 5 thermal paste when i get the cooler, and since both of you have backed up what i heard about AS5 (that it is extremely good).
Thanks for all the help once again.
Ill be sure to let u know how it went.
weskurtz, for now until friday, i have my final exams so i cant really do anything until then. Hopefully, friday night ill go out and buy the cooler and the AS5 and ill post a reply soon as i install it.
thanks again for all the help guys.
really apperciate it :D 
mo
June 8, 2006 9:30:12 AM

ok, i havent bought the new coole yet, but i did try to remove and reinstall the cooler, and guess what? It worked!! just like you said!!
my card is idle around 50 degrees and loads at around 70, which is 30 degrees less than what it used to load at!
I dont understand how it worked, mabye it was because i removed some of the dust that was clogged up between the heatsink and the fan.
Anyhow, thanks again for the suggestion of removing and reinstalling the heatsink, i knew that i didnt have a case flow problem!!
thanks again!
June 8, 2006 11:08:37 AM

but you didnt need the watercooler either
June 8, 2006 12:23:51 PM

Hey mo..... no problem, I am glad you were able to save some money. Another problem may have been the old crusty thermal pad. Thermal paste tends to dry up after a while, and I imagine it might happen a little faster with video cards due to the fact that the newer ones run hotter than the avg. cpu. Yes, even hotter than prescott's. Well, most prescotts :wink: Well.... good stuff, thanks for letting me know that it worked..... most people here are glad to help, if you have any more problems..... just ask....

wes
June 10, 2006 4:33:11 AM

Umm, my geforce 6200SE is 70c idle and 85c full load, throttle at 115.
June 10, 2006 11:59:13 AM

that's is probably well above average temps for that card.
June 11, 2006 5:06:32 AM

Lol, my stock throtle is at 145c.
June 11, 2006 12:09:26 PM

well, from what I have read about the card that is still a high temp.... And even if your stock throttle really is 145C it is not recommended that you run it at that temperature. 293 degrees Fahrenheit is awefully hot for any computer componet. Is yours passively cooled? How would your throttle temp be that high is all others are around 115C/239F?

Edit: also, keep in mind that your temp sensor might be reporting an incorrect temperature.
!