USB controller quits controlling!

noisywan

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
After adding a new PCI card to my system, all USB devices stopped working. Here is what I have done before it happened:

After installing the card, system didn't POST. I removed card from PCI slot#4 and it didn't POST again. Powered it off and waited a min. When I powered it on, I got a POST error saying "Not identical memory modules". I was sure that they were identical and I removed them and re-inserted. The system(XP sp2) booted with no problem. Powered off and I installed the card on PCI slot #1 and it worked.

After 2-3 days, I've noticed that USB ports were not working.
The USB controller group had disappeared from the list in Device Manager. When I plug in a flashdisk or camera in USB ports, the leds on the devices show that the ports have power but the OS does not respond to any device plugged in.
I thought it might be an IRQ problem and I removed the PCI card but it didn't work. OS kept ignoring USB hardware.
I have deleted all hidden-not-present-old-devices from the device manager to release IRQ resources but it didn't work.

I booted from CD-ROM with Windows XPE that can detect USB devices. No USB device controller found on system;
http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/9789/xpedev2pb.jpg

The PCI card is a Technisat Skystar 2 rev.2.6 and the mainboard is Intel P4 D865PERL. BIOS is up-to-date and USB is enabled.

Do you have any suggestions?

I am suspicious about damaging the USB controller hardware.
Is it possible for system to pass P.O.S.T. without any warnings with a damaged USB controller?

G

I am suspicious about damaging the USB controller hardware.
Is it possible for system to pass P.O.S.T. without any warnings with a damaged USB controller?

I recently fried my USB controller (installed gameport; probably faulty gamepad on it). Same symptoms as yours. So yes, windoze will behave normally but all USB stuff is gone. You might want to RMA the board?