Landing on the first lesson?

I ran across one of those enthusiastic 19 year old type kids going through
flight training at an FBO.

I asked him how many lessons it had taken him to learn to land. He replied,
"on my first lesson".

Is that even possible? I thought you had to go through all the stalls and
slow flight classes before the instructor got around to landing classes.

Does this vary by instructor? Is there no standard lesson plan? If you
wanted to learn to land on the first lesson, would they accommodate you?

Dallas
20 answers Last reply
More about landing lesson

    My first 'lesson' was a 1 hr ifr flight from kevv to the sam vor to the pxv
    vor and back to kevv after finding out the ceiling was too low for me to get
    an introductory flight.
    I ended up taxiing, taking off, flying in solid IMC for 10 minutes, flying
    vfr ontop, and landing. The instructor did
    takes us down thru the clouds and set us up on a long final before handing
    it back..

    I think the phrase I used the most was "Your nuts"...stressfull but alot of
    fun

    shywon
    >I ran across one of those enthusiastic 19 year old type kids going through
    > flight training at an FBO.
    >
    > I asked him how many lessons it had taken him to learn to land. He
    > replied,
    > "on my first lesson".
    >
    > Is that even possible? I thought you had to go through all the stalls and
    > slow flight classes before the instructor got around to landing classes.
    >
    > Does this vary by instructor? Is there no standard lesson plan? If you
    > wanted to learn to land on the first lesson, would they accommodate you?
    >
    > Dallas

    Bullshit

    Bullshit

    On my first flying lesson, the instructor handled the initial takeoff.
    We practiced straight & level flight for a while, co-coordinated turns,
    ascending and descending turns, ATC procedures, etc. Then on landing, we
    spent about an hour in the pattern practicing touch-and-goes. The instructor
    did the first approach, landing, and takeoff. Then he had me do the second
    approach, but only down to the flare, all the time briefing me on what to
    do. On the next several landings, he allowed me to fly it more and more,
    until I was doing the approach, the flare, and the touchdown as well as the
    takeoff. Of course the instructor was on the controls with me making sure
    that I didn't do anything that would be fatal, but I felt like I was the one
    doing most of the flying. We did 7-8 T&G's on that first flight. It was only
    a 2-hour flight, but I climbed out of the cockpit shaking and sopping wet
    with sweat. I felt like I had just ran a marathon! Its amazing what
    adrenaline does to you. The person that you are referring to might have
    'learned to land' on the first lesson, but that first lesson may have
    included many touch-and-goes. This person may have 'learned' how to land an
    airplane on the first lesson, but I bet they didn't perfect their landings
    until many lessons had gone by. Personally, I think landing an aircraft
    safely is the very hardest thing that a student pilot has to do. I think an
    instructor would be crazy (or criminally negligent) to allow a brand new
    student to try to land the aircraft all by themselves on the very first try.

    Randy L.

    >I ran across one of those enthusiastic 19 year old type kids going through
    > flight training at an FBO.
    >
    > I asked him how many lessons it had taken him to learn to land. He
    > replied,
    > "on my first lesson".
    >
    > Is that even possible? I thought you had to go through all the stalls and
    > slow flight classes before the instructor got around to landing classes.
    >
    > Does this vary by instructor? Is there no standard lesson plan? If you
    > wanted to learn to land on the first lesson, would they accommodate you?
    >
    > Dallas

    While my CFI coached me all the way to touchdown, I landed a C172M on
    MY first lesson.

    Jay Beckman
    PP-ASEL
    Arizona Cloudbusters
    Chandler, AZ

    I should add that we were allowed to make a five-mile straight in
    approach so I didn't have to handle pattern flying at this point. My
    introduction to that was a whole different kettle of fish.

    Jay B

    Most good instructors will allow the student to fly the airplane from the
    first flight onward; only assisting with certain parts of the flight as
    needed and with emphasis on maximum verbal correction vs physical
    correction.
    Normally, landings are accomplished by the instructor until the student has
    been acclimated toward them through the normal path in the learning curve.
    It would be highly unusual for a student to do a landing completely
    unassisted on the first flight. However, depending on the student and
    exactly how that student was performing during that first flight, it
    wouldn't be all that abnormal to have the student do a landing with close
    assist by the instructor.
    This of course is completely dependant on the performance of the student and
    the quality of the instructor.
    Dudley

    >I ran across one of those enthusiastic 19 year old type kids going through
    > flight training at an FBO.
    >
    > I asked him how many lessons it had taken him to learn to land. He
    > replied,
    > "on my first lesson".
    >
    > Is that even possible? I thought you had to go through all the stalls and
    > slow flight classes before the instructor got around to landing classes.
    >
    > Does this vary by instructor? Is there no standard lesson plan? If you
    > wanted to learn to land on the first lesson, would they accommodate you?
    >
    > Dallas

    he probably says he "learnt to land on first lesson" but when he really ment
    is "i held the stick/yoke while the pilot landed"

    Even ive done that....does that mean i know how to land a plane?!?! :-)

    --
    From Overlag - Adam Webb

    >I ran across one of those enthusiastic 19 year old type kids going through
    > flight training at an FBO.
    >
    > I asked him how many lessons it had taken him to learn to land. He
    > replied,
    > "on my first lesson".
    >
    > Is that even possible? I thought you had to go through all the stalls and
    > slow flight classes before the instructor got around to landing classes.
    >
    > Does this vary by instructor? Is there no standard lesson plan? If you
    > wanted to learn to land on the first lesson, would they accommodate you?
    >
    > Dallas

    "Randy L."
    > It was only a 2-hour flight, but I climbed out of the cockpit shaking

    I understand that's pretty common... students who feel like they've been
    run over by a Mac truck after every lesson. :-)

    Dallas

    I occasionally feel that way after a tricky landing on the sim. Maybe it's
    a good thing Air Canada decided not to hire me : )

    Arthur

    > "Randy L."
    >> It was only a 2-hour flight, but I climbed out of the cockpit shaking
    >
    > I understand that's pretty common... students who feel like they've been
    > run over by a Mac truck after every lesson. :-)
    >

    > Dallas

    "Dudley Henriques"
    > wouldn't be all that abnormal to have the student do a landing with close
    > assist by the instructor.

    It was either that or what PhantomFlyer said,..."Bullsh*t"

    I lean towards Bullsh*t.

    :-)

    Dallas

    Jay Beckman wrote:
    > While my CFI coached me all the way to touchdown, I landed a C172M on
    > MY first lesson.
    >
    > Jay Beckman
    > PP-ASEL
    > Arizona Cloudbusters
    > Chandler, AZ

    I'm afraid of being yelled at. I also landed a c-172 on my first flight.
    And I only had 600 hours helicopter time. Solo'd after 3 hours and
    earned my commercial (add-on) after 10 hours. That was in 1972 and I
    believe the hours required for the commercial add-on has raised a bit.

    --

    boB,
    SAG 70

    U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

    >I ran across one of those enthusiastic 19 year old type kids going through
    > flight training at an FBO.
    >
    > I asked him how many lessons it had taken him to learn to land. He
    > replied,
    > "on my first lesson".
    >
    > Is that even possible? I thought you had to go through all the stalls and
    > slow flight classes before the instructor got around to landing
    > classes....

    I think you would need to carefully define "learn to land", I'm sure he may
    have guided the plane to a landing with lots of talking from the instructor,
    but that does not mean he has "learned to land," especially in all its
    variations. The first time I bet on a roulette wheel my number hit, but
    that does not mean I "learned" to win at roulette :)

    On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 04:15:17 GMT, "Dallas"
    <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote:

    >"Dudley Henriques"
    >> wouldn't be all that abnormal to have the student do a landing with close
    >> assist by the instructor.
    >
    >It was either that or what PhantomFlyer said,..."Bullsh*t"
    >
    >I lean towards Bullsh*t.
    >
    >:-)
    >
    >Dallas

    Not bull. Dudley said it perfectly. I did 80% of the landing on my
    first flight training session. This was after flying around for a hour
    or so, getting a feel for the controls for level flight and easy
    turns. I had a good instructor, who must have evaluated my
    capability, and explained what we wanted to do before & during the
    process. It wasn't pretty, and it did require a bit of assist at the
    flare & touchdown. The instructor handled rudder of course. I probably
    could have got it on the ground without killing us, but the CFI would
    have been on the hook for the damage. :-)

    Hi Jay,

    Strewth, that's nothing - what a piece of cake, mate.

    On MY very first flight, I solo'd a Spitfire, and on MY second, a
    Mustang, and I landed both times!!

    O.K., I'll admit they were both Lawn Dart landings, but, while some
    cynics might say there's a world of difference between 'Simming and
    real-life flying, I say "Why split hairs, mate??" :-))

    Regards,
    John Ward
    "Jay Beckman" <jcbeckman@cox.net> wrote in message
    > While my CFI coached me all the way to touchdown, I landed a C172M on
    > MY first lesson.
    >
    > Jay Beckman
    > PP-ASEL
    > Arizona Cloudbusters
    > Chandler, AZ

    On my first flight I was allowed to fly the circuit and take the plane down
    for finals, and once over the threshold the instructor took over and flared
    the plane. He was quite impressed by the accuracy of my flying and final
    approach, I guess computer based flight sims do come in quite handy....

    >I ran across one of those enthusiastic 19 year old type kids going through
    > flight training at an FBO.
    >
    > I asked him how many lessons it had taken him to learn to land. He
    > replied,
    > "on my first lesson".
    >
    > Is that even possible? I thought you had to go through all the stalls and
    > slow flight classes before the instructor got around to landing classes.
    >
    > Does this vary by instructor? Is there no standard lesson plan? If you
    > wanted to learn to land on the first lesson, would they accommodate you?
    >
    > Dallas

    >> Is that even possible? I thought you had to go through all the
    >> stalls and slow flight classes before the instructor got around to
    >> landing classes. Does this vary by instructor? Is there no standard
    >> lesson plan? If
    >> you wanted to learn to land on the first lesson, would they
    >> accommodate you? Dallas

    I went solo on my first lesson so there...

    Amangill (AKA Walter Matty)
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    >>> Is that even possible? I thought you had to go through all the
    >>> stalls and slow flight classes before the instructor got around to
    >>> landing classes. Does this vary by instructor? Is there no standard
    >>> lesson plan? If
    >>> you wanted to learn to land on the first lesson, would they
    >>> accommodate you? Dallas
    >

    > I went solo on my first lesson so there...
    >

    > Amangill (AKA Walter Matty)

    Uhhhh, is that Matty or Mitty?? :-))

    Only old fogies (err, farts) like me will know what I am talking about.
    :-))))))

    Paul
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    >> I went solo on my first lesson so there...
    >>

    >> Amangill (AKA Walter Matty)
    >>

    > Uhhhh, is that Matty or Mitty?? :-))
    >
    > Only old fogies (err, farts) like me will know what I am talking
    > about. :-))))))
    >
    > Paul

    Yeh, Paul, and you just gave the game away :-(

    --
    Sincerely,
    Quilljar

    I did my first landing all by myself in my 6th lesson. (I think the
    instructor assumed I did them before)

    My first 5 lessons the instructor evaluated my performance and I did about
    80% of the landings.

    I'm not sure what it is like anywhere else but here in Canada you don't
    start doing the landings until you start the circuits. (Lesson 6)

    Speaking of circuits, the last time I went up for a lesson, the instructor
    was concerned about what I had remember because it had been about a month
    from my last lesson. We went to the training area for about 5 mins and he
    realized that I was good to go. We did a few circuits and I was getting it
    all right and he said he was impressed, I told him I us FS to supplement my
    practice and he said it showed in my performance that what I was using to
    supplement my flying IRL was working.

    Good Job FS2004.

    > I ran across one of those enthusiastic 19 year old type kids going through
    > flight training at an FBO.
    >
    > I asked him how many lessons it had taken him to learn to land. He
    replied,
    > "on my first lesson".
    >
    > Is that even possible? I thought you had to go through all the stalls and
    > slow flight classes before the instructor got around to landing classes.
    >
    > Does this vary by instructor? Is there no standard lesson plan? If you
    > wanted to learn to land on the first lesson, would they accommodate you?
    >
    > Dallas

Games Microsoft Video Games