GPS with PocketPC

November 14, 2004 10:30:43 AM

I was wondering, is it possible to buy a relatively cheap GPS receiver
so that it would be cross-compatible with all of these leading mapping
programs, or do these programs recognize their own receiver only?

I've seen USB GPS receivers go for as low as $30, now the trick is...
how to plug them into a pocketPC? (Axim X30 in my case) Any ideas?

More about : gps pocketpc

Anonymous
November 14, 2004 10:30:44 AM

Vileo,

It may not be as inexpensive as what you were trying to assemble, but
Bluetooth GPS has fallen in price and is the most flexible receiver with GPS
application compatibility --as long as you have Bluetooth embedded in your
device. If you have Bluetooth in your X30, you should be able to use a
Bluetooth GPS receiver with all of the leading GPS software: ALK CoPilot
LIVE 5, Pharos, TomTom, TeleType, iGuidance, Destinator, SpaceMachine,
Mapopolis, etc...

Best,

Shawna

--

Shawna Kelly
Microsoft Mobile MVP

Contributing Writer
Pocket PC Magazine
shawna@pocketpcmag.com
www.PocketPCmag.com
GPS Forum Moderator
www.PocketPCmag.com/forum

Co-Manager & Editor
Northern California Mobile Computing
http://sf.mobilecomputingsig.com
Mobile Community Moblog
http://mobilecommunity.textamerica.com

"Vileo" <Vileo@com.com> wrote in message
> I was wondering, is it possible to buy a relatively cheap GPS receiver
> so that it would be cross-compatible with all of these leading mapping
> programs, or do these programs recognize their own receiver only?
>
> I've seen USB GPS receivers go for as low as $30, now the trick is...
> how to plug them into a pocketPC? (Axim X30 in my case) Any ideas?
November 14, 2004 12:43:08 PM

If your pda does have an USB Host , you have to buy a usb to serial adapter,
find the prolific driver for ce and the you can connect every cheap Serial
GPS you want... but if you want an USB gps you have to write a driver for it

Regards
Greg
"Vileo" <Vileo@com.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
bvcep0t3rf968e80qllj88h43ng5f38o00@4ax.com...
> I was wondering, is it possible to buy a relatively cheap GPS receiver
> so that it would be cross-compatible with all of these leading mapping
> programs, or do these programs recognize their own receiver only?
>
> I've seen USB GPS receivers go for as low as $30, now the trick is...
> how to plug them into a pocketPC? (Axim X30 in my case) Any ideas?
November 14, 2004 4:07:45 PM

Your Dell X30 does have BT, so those recommendations are valid. It does not
have a USB host capability so there is no way for you to use a USB GPS (as a
USB GPS. Some are configurable to use serial or BT as well, with additional
hardware). You should have the option of using a serial GPS plugged into the
sync port. Dell has been a little odd in their serial implementation however
and I would recommend ensuring that any serial GPS you consider,
specifically supports the X-30. You'll note that Dell sells a Pharos model
that works this way, on the X-30 accessories page. If Dell sold a serial
sync cable, or you could find one for the X30, then I'd say most any serial
GPS should work. Interestingly, they don't even list the serial cable they
used to sell for the X5 anymore. They don't list any serial sync cables at
all, that I can find.

So short of getting something like the Pharos, that plugs into the sync
port, and specifically list the X30, I'd agree that BT is really your best,
though most expensive, option.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"Vileo" <Vileo@com.com> wrote in message
> I was wondering, is it possible to buy a relatively cheap GPS receiver
> so that it would be cross-compatible with all of these leading mapping
> programs, or do these programs recognize their own receiver only?
>
> I've seen USB GPS receivers go for as low as $30, now the trick is...
> how to plug them into a pocketPC? (Axim X30 in my case) Any ideas?
Anonymous
November 14, 2004 7:43:06 PM

I would recommend a bluetooth receiver, if the Axim model you have has BT
built in. I use the Belkin BT GPS kit, which I got on eBay ( from a
*reliable* seller) for $130. It works perfectly with my X30 High, on foot
and on the road. Dell also has a similar kit. Know that the Belkin comes
with an OEM version of iGuidance ver 1.1, while version 2 has been out for
some time now.
"Vileo" <Vileo@com.com> wrote in message
> I was wondering, is it possible to buy a relatively cheap GPS receiver
> so that it would be cross-compatible with all of these leading mapping
> programs, or do these programs recognize their own receiver only?
>
> I've seen USB GPS receivers go for as low as $30, now the trick is...
> how to plug them into a pocketPC? (Axim X30 in my case) Any ideas?
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 9:23:51 AM

Thanks for the advice guys. It might be that the best option is to get
the BT then, to save the hassle of buying a bunch of adapters to find
out that it all doesn't work in the end.

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 13:07:45 -0700, "Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices"
<sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Your Dell X30 does have BT, so those recommendations are valid. It does not
>have a USB host capability so there is no way for you to use a USB GPS (as a
>USB GPS. Some are configurable to use serial or BT as well, with additional
>hardware). You should have the option of using a serial GPS plugged into the
>sync port. Dell has been a little odd in their serial implementation however
>and I would recommend ensuring that any serial GPS you consider,
>specifically supports the X-30. You'll note that Dell sells a Pharos model
>that works this way, on the X-30 accessories page. If Dell sold a serial
>sync cable, or you could find one for the X30, then I'd say most any serial
>GPS should work. Interestingly, they don't even list the serial cable they
>used to sell for the X5 anymore. They don't list any serial sync cables at
>all, that I can find.
>
>So short of getting something like the Pharos, that plugs into the sync
>port, and specifically list the X30, I'd agree that BT is really your best,
>though most expensive, option.
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 9:23:52 AM

Vileo,

You may want to consider the new DELL GPS Navigation bundle:
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?s...
(It is based on the popular Netropa OEM GPS software.)

Best,

Shawna

--

!