To single-core or duel-core?

ScottyHutch

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
Having looked at the CPU comparison charts, I still cannot decide if I should go for a single-core AMD 64 or a duel-core AMD X2? In some tests the AMD 64 performs better such as in the graphics, in other tests the X2 performs better such as in the multi-tasking.

Does anyone have any personal experience with comparing the single/duel core chips?

I pretty much use my PC for everything from surfing the Internet, some programming, watching/recording TV, Office applications, and gaming (typically real-time and turn-based strategy)

Sould I just get the best AMD 64 I can get, or is the AMD X2 worth the extra cost?

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
I'm not gonig to comment on the CPU manufacturer as that would doubtless derail the thread into another AMD Intel argument. However, given the varied use that you expect from your PC, particularly with reference to the video editing, I'd recommend you look at a dual core solution.

MultiCore

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
There is no such thing as f***ing duel-core. It's dual-core. Anyone can make a typo, I know I do, but I doubt a lot of the people writing duel-core are, in 99% of the cases it's pure ignorance.
So, next time, remember, dual-core.

sdrawkcaBgoD

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
There is no such thing as f***ing duel-core. It's dual-core. Anyone can make a typo, I know I do, but I doubt a lot of the people writing duel-core are, in 99% of the cases it's pure ignorance.
So, next time, remember, dual-core.

Anyone can make a run-on sentence with incorrect punctuation, too.

MultiCore

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I highly doubt that it was a typo, especially as the same (mis)spelling was used consistently in the topic header and throughout the post. A typo is an accidental typing error. Not knowing how to spell is someting else. The frequent use of this particular spelling is almost always due to lack of knowledge, not typing mistakes. Spelling impared individuals will see it and think 'This is what everybody is writing, it must be the way it is spelled'. The part where he/she wrote 'Sould I just get the best AMD 64 I can get, or is the AMD X2 worth the extra cost?' is a typo, the duel-core bits were most likely not.

sdrawkcaBgoD

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
I highly doubt that it was a typo, especially as the same (mis)spelling was used consistently in the topic header and throughout the post. A typo is an accidental typing error. Not knowing how to spell is someting else. The frequent use of this particular spelling is almost always due to lack of knowledge, not typing mistakes. Spelling impared individuals will see it and think 'This is what everybody is writing, it must be the way it is spelled'. The part where he/she wrote 'Sould I just get the best AMD 64 I can get, or is the AMD X2 worth the extra cost?' is a typo, the duel-core bits were most likely not.

Can you please make another post with the words impaired and something in it so I can see if they're just typos? :D

sdrawkcaBgoD

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
rofl, i'm sure it was deliberate and he just forgot to put it in bold :lol:

edit this was meant to be in reply to the next guys post but he must have deleted it or someting :p

Yes, I did. I noticed a little too late that he spelled something wrong and I had to redo it. You responded too fast! :D