Canon IP4000R Experiences with LPR/LPD?

Hi,
I just bought a Pixma IP4000 and it will not work correctly on my
SMC4000Br router with parallel port printserver. My Epson Stylus Color
600 worked the last 6 years OK on that router. So, I still have time to
exchange the IP4000. Anyone had experience with the IP4000R using LPR to
access it? I will only need the ethernet connection at the start, as I
have currently not got any WLAN cards. I need to access the printer from
Win98, Win2k and WinXP.

Its either exchange the IP4000 for an IP4000R, or get an USB print
server and keep the IP4000.

Any tips would be appreciated.

BTW I can get various things to work via the SMC, but there are a lot of
problems.

I share my IP4000 over a wired and wireless network without using a
print server. I just connect it to any computer and share the printer.
I set security accordingly.

measekite wrote:
> I share my IP4000 over a wired and wireless network without using a
> print server. I just connect it to any computer and share the printer.
> I set security accordingly.
>
> Brian Dorling wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I just bought a Pixma IP4000 and it will not work correctly on my
>> SMC4000Br router with parallel port printserver. My Epson Stylus Color
>> 600 worked the last 6 years OK on that router. So, I still have time
>> to exchange the IP4000. Anyone had experience with the IP4000R using
>> LPR to access it? I will only need the ethernet connection at the
>> start, as I have currently not got any WLAN cards. I need to access
>> the printer from Win98, Win2k and WinXP.
>>
>> Its either exchange the IP4000 for an IP4000R, or get an USB print
>> server and keep the IP4000.
>>
>> Any tips would be appreciated.
>>
>> BTW I can get various things to work via the SMC, but there are a lot
>> of problems.
Sure that will work, but then I need to make sure that the computer that
it is physically connected to is turned on. At the moment my print
server/router is always on as it supplies my DSL connection. This way
anyone can print directly from their computer without needing to turn
another PC on.

Cheers Brian

It is less wear and tear to leave all of the computers on all of the
time. Configure the monitors to go to sleep after an hour. As a
computer professional, this is the advice I give to all of my clients.

In message <d14jgl$et$01$1@news.t-online.com>, Brian Dorling
<Brian_dorling@t-online.de> writes
>Hi,
>I just bought a Pixma IP4000 and it will not work correctly on my
>SMC4000Br router with parallel port printserver. My Epson Stylus Color
>600 worked the last 6 years OK on that router. So, I still have time to
>exchange the IP4000. Anyone had experience with the IP4000R using LPR
>to access it? I will only need the ethernet connection at the start, as
>I have currently not got any WLAN cards. I need to access the printer
>from Win98, Win2k and WinXP.
>
>Its either exchange the IP4000 for an IP4000R, or get an USB print
>server and keep the IP4000.
>
>Any tips would be appreciated.
>
>BTW I can get various things to work via the SMC, but there are a lot
>of problems.

Can I ask the same sort of thing but for a CLC950 with a fiery rip? I
can get it to talk to the computer via the parallel port but not by
ethernet. Does someone have a list of LPR queue names or something?

--
Timothy Lee http://www.wightproperty.com
tlatwightpropertydotcom

Timothy Lee <me@privacy.net> wrote:

> Can I ask the same sort of thing but for a CLC950 with a fiery rip? I
> can get it to talk to the computer via the parallel port but not by
> ethernet. Does someone have a list of LPR queue names or something?

HP generally uses "raw" for untranslated output, and "text" for a queue
that converts LF to CRLF.

Some HP multi-port JetDirects have a queue for each port name.

On other brands, I've seen "lp" and many others. Some don't care what
queue name is used. The only way to be sure is to check with the
manufacturer.

"Brian Dorling" <Brian_dorling@t-online.de> schreef in bericht
> Hi,
> I just bought a Pixma IP4000 and it will not work correctly on my
> SMC4000Br router with parallel port printserver. My Epson Stylus Color
> 600 worked the last 6 years OK on that router. So, I still have time to
> exchange the IP4000. Anyone had experience with the IP4000R using LPR to
> access it? I will only need the ethernet connection at the start, as I
> have currently not got any WLAN cards. I need to access the printer from
> Win98, Win2k and WinXP.
>
> Its either exchange the IP4000 for an IP4000R, or get an USB print
> server and keep the IP4000.
>
> Any tips would be appreciated.
>
> BTW I can get various things to work via the SMC, but there are a lot of
> problems.

I had the same problem. I telephoned Canon in the Netherlands. They said
they do NOT support parallel printservers for the iP4000. They only support
ONE usb printserver, that is the Pricom printserver of 200 euro....
I now have a cheap usb printserver (which is not supported either) but it
works....

Hope this helps.

blob

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2005

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 08:56:07 +0100, "Henk" <henk@skdjfd.com> wrote:

>"Brian Dorling" <Brian_dorling@t-online.de> schreef in bericht
>> Hi,
>> I just bought a Pixma IP4000 and it will not work correctly on my
>> SMC4000Br router with parallel port printserver. My Epson Stylus Color
>> 600 worked the last 6 years OK on that router. So, I still have time to
>> exchange the IP4000. Anyone had experience with the IP4000R using LPR to
>> access it? I will only need the ethernet connection at the start, as I
>> have currently not got any WLAN cards. I need to access the printer from
>> Win98, Win2k and WinXP.
>>
>> Its either exchange the IP4000 for an IP4000R, or get an USB print
>> server and keep the IP4000.
>>
>> Any tips would be appreciated.
>>
>> BTW I can get various things to work via the SMC, but there are a lot of
>> problems.
>
>I had the same problem. I telephoned Canon in the Netherlands. They said
>they do NOT support parallel printservers for the iP4000. They only support
>ONE usb printserver, that is the Pricom printserver of 200 euro....
>I now have a cheap usb printserver (which is not supported either) but it
>works....

What is it?