harddrive wiped with new setup?

i just got my new system, and i took it to a shop to build it for me. When i got it back i went to load it up, and the harddrive was wiped, or at the very least windows wasnt on their any more.
Im just wondering should this have occurred, or did the kind pc builder wipe my harddrive for me.
thanks
Plus i havent actually got windows anymore because it got lost somehwhere when i moved :| . So now im stuck with a brand new ace pc which is like miles better than my old one, that i cant use.
aahhhhh
34 answers Last reply
More about harddrive wiped setup
  1. You have to re-install Windows with any new system. You should be able to regain your old documents by partitioning your disk, or installing to another disk.

This is why you post here first :wink:
  2. Did you buy a new hardrive? Did you give them your old one?
    You could have had them ghost your drive.
    Its always recommend to start with a fresh install of windows when changing components such as motherboard and cpu.
  3. Quote:
    You have to re-install Windows with any new system. You should be able to regain your old documents by partitioning your disk, or installing to another disk.

He is right, the windows EULA says that for a new PC, it has to be a new windows xp cd, if it was the same pc with new components then thats a diff story
  4. I actually don't understand, did you

1. buy all the components and then ask a builder to put it together for you?

2. buy some new components and sent them along with some old components to put together for you?

3. buy a system from a builder then send it to another builder with some other components to install?

The wording is very confusing "system" implies a complete system with everything you need, "load" implies you are going to install the OS and software maybe you meant "boot" or "start", "their" is the posessive of they please use "there", is "ace" a computer company or are you using it as an adjective?
  5. sorry i was abit vague....i bought all new components off of ebuyer apart from dvd writer and harddrive, and then went to a pc shop and they stuck it together for me.
    Ok well i have found a copy of xp and will reinstall but before i do...

I partitioned my drive into 3 partitions C D and F, windows was on C and most of the stuff that i actually want was on D and F. Will this make a difference, what im trying to say is has the WHOLE drive been wiped or just maybe C where windows was.

Also is there any way to recover it, i didnt get them to copy the contents before they did it because i never realised the harddrive did this, because ive never salvaged a hard drive from an old pc and put it in new pc i always just bought a new one, but cash was tight and i saved it because its fairly big and had quite a bit on.

thanks for your time :)
  6. sorry i was abit vague....i bought all new components off of ebuyer apart from dvd writer and harddrive, and then went to a pc shop and they stuck it together for me.
    Ok well i have found a copy of xp and will reinstall but before i do...

I partitioned my drive into 3 partitions C D and F, windows was on C and most of the stuff that i actually want was on D and F. Will this make a difference, what im trying to say is has the WHOLE drive been wiped or just maybe C where windows was.

Also is there any way to recover it, i didnt get them to copy the contents before they did it because i never realised the harddrive did this, because ive never salvaged a hard drive from an old pc and put it in new pc i always just bought a new one, but cash was tight and i saved it because its fairly big and had quite a bit on.

thanks for your time :)
  7. How do you know the drive was wiped? It shouldn't be.

Please describe what happens when you turn on the machine. More importantly, does it stop when Windows is supposed to start or does it reboot on its own.

Also, is it an IDE or SATA hard drive?
  8. Quote:
    He is right, the windows EULA says that for a new PC, it has to be a new windows xp cd, if it was the same pc with new components then thats a diff story

Well, if it was an OEM version of Windows then it is married to the original machine, but if it was a retail version of Windows then you can install it on what ever machine you want, one machine at a time of course. :wink:
  9. [I partitioned my drive into 3 partitions C D and F, windows was on C and most of the stuff that i actually want was on D and F. Will this make a difference, what im trying to say is has the WHOLE drive been wiped or just maybe C where windows was.

You've done something I used to do with Partition Magic. If your whole hardrive was not wiped, You should be able to install Windows on the C drive and still retain everything on the D and F drives. Some programs may have to be reinstalled on those drives so the proper dll's are set up, but basic files and documents should be safe. A way to insure this would be to move those documents, etc to a separate folder and then move them back after re-installing the associated program.

If the whole drive was wiped, so that there are no partitions left, you're probably out of luck as to anything that was on the drive. Simply install windows with new partitions as you wish, and be more careful about such things in the future. Remember the old phrase "Backup". Backup everything, so you don't loose valuable information.

For future reference, when building a new machine, I have sometimes used bought a new hard disc for the operating system and used the old one as a slave. That way all my old stuff was still there, waiting for me, while the new disc provided a nice, clean place for the OS.
  10. Quote:
    How do you know the drive was wiped? It shouldn't be.

Please describe what happens when you turn on the machine. More importantly, does it stop when Windows is supposed to start or does it reboot on its own.

Also, is it an IDE or SATA hard drive?

well i turn the pc on and it goes to a black screen saying
    c:windows/system32/config/windows is either missing or corrupt
    then press 'r' to repair at the first screen, but when you do it goes back to the black screen. So my guess its been wiped, its sata...it think it was bought in the last year so i guess it is.

I think im just going to have to put this one down to experience.....all my lovely family guy episodes (goes and weeps in the corner lol)
  11. It's not wiped. More than likely everything is still there and you'll just need to reinstall windows on the C partition and you'll be OK. During the install process it will show you the partitions on the disks if they still exist.

If it were me, like someone said above, I'd get a new disk and load windows on that. And, btw, don't give anyone your disks if you don't want to lose your data. :wink:
  12. Quote:

Well, if it was an OEM version of Windows then it is married to the original machine, but if it was a retail version of Windows then you can install it on what ever machine you want, one machine at a time of course. :wink:

It matters how the OEM was installed, if they used a Master machine with multiple licenses and ghosted the HD, or if they had a System Builders Pack with a license per disk, then the Official OEM CD Key Sticker should be on the original case
  13. I'm not talking about the key, I'm talking about the license. As far as I know, OEM licenses are good for that machine only. Retail licenses can be used on any machine you want, multiple times, as long as you use it on one machine at a time.
  14. Quote:

Plus i havent actually got windows anymore because it got lost somehwhere when i moved :|
    aahhhhh

I would say, just buy a new copy of Windows Xp and install it on your C partition, its not a fancy solution, just one that will save you time, money, and your sanity
  15. You can attempt to use the Repair function from your Windows disc.
    Try to copy/overwrite the corrupt files and then attempt to boot. This may or may not work,...when Windows is installed on a computer it builds itself around your hardware,....when you suddenly change hardware (upgrade etc) then Windows doesnt know what to do. This is why it is highly suggested to always back up your OS and important files before swapping mobo's and such. If the repair doesnt work then you need to try and reinstall Windows onto another partition and then access the important documents from your old partition. Copy what you need then format the old one. You will need to reinstall ALL of your old software and windows patches.
  16. Don't panic, don't do anything drastic. You're probably OK. It,s just that windows doesn't know how to handle your new hardware.

What did your "builder" tell you? Or is it just some kid down the street who can mount some hardware?

Windows needs to be reinstalled. Your best bet would be to take the machine back to your builder with the Windows disk, motherboard disk, and possibly a floppy disk included with the motherboard. Ask him to do a repair of Windows. If he doesn't know what you're talking about run like hell and post a message here. Someone will talk you through it or I'll be looking in on you this weekend.

Apparently you don't need the floppy to setup Windows.

Asus FAQ:

Question

I don't want to create a RAID system. Can I simply install operating system first without SATA RAID drivers on A8R32-MVP Deluxe?

Answer

Yes, please enter BIOS -> Main -> Storage Configuration -> RAID Mode Selection and set it to “SATA mode” and then set “SATA Mode Selection” to “Emulated PATA Mode”, then you can install system as usual.

Nice MOBO by the way
  17. Quote:
    I'm not talking about the key, I'm talking about the license. As far as I know, OEM licenses are good for that machine only. Retail licenses can be used on any machine you want, multiple times, as long as you use it on one machine at a time.

True, but as long as you use the OEM license on the same machine, then you can change around the components as much as you want
  18. I never said you couldn't. My original comment was in response to you saying that the EULA required a new key for each new machine, and I said only OEM, not retail keys. It's really neither here nor there at this point, but that was my original clarification.

Mesarectifier wasn't even really talking about the license, but just the fact that when you change motherboards you typically should do a clean install of the OS. Not always, but usually, and it just makes things easier in the long run.

In any case....since he doesn't have XP any more it looks like he'll be buying a new copy anyway. :wink:
  19. Just a heads up, A retail version of Windows XP SP2 is legally only allowed to be used on ONE machine, most people can get away with multiples, or old and new, but thats because the outsourced activation service people don't understand anything
  20. I'm sure this is really irrelevant and certainly well beyond the scope of this thread, and if Johnny Cochran were still alive he could argue it either way in court, but the retail EULA says you can install and run a single copy on a single machine, and goes on to say it may only be used by a single processor at any one time [which is rather ambiguous since XP Pro will support mutiple processors, but I digress]. It does not say however that it cannot be installed on any more than that single machine on which it was first installed if it is removed from the first machine. OEM licenses are married to a single machine, that I know, but I do not have a copy of an OEM license handy to read how it is written compared to a full retail license.

Like I said, it's all very academic and as you said, regardless of the intent of the license, it can be installed on more than a single machine, if used on one machine at a time of course, and I'm sure there will not be FBI agents storming your home if you do it. :lol:
  21. Quote:
    It does not say however that it cannot be installed on any more than that single machine on which it was first installed if it is removed from the first machine. OEM licenses are married to a single machine, that I know, but I do not have a copy of an OEM license handy to read how it is written compared to a full retail license.

Theres teh loop hole :P and OEM licenses follow the same as retail, except if you want microsoft "tech" support, they charge $35
  22. well i got hold of a windows cd, and i went to bios and changed the boot device from harddrive to cd rom.
    However its still the same with a tiny difference. It loads up the first bios screen saying what the pc components are, the post test.
    Then it goes on to a black screen with a little white line flashing at the top left, the line from dos when you type things in it. it stays there for a bit then it goes back to the file c:system32...etc etc cannot be found
    Am i doing something wrong or what, i also double checked the xp cd on my housemates laptop and it runs fine from windows.

thanks again
  23. Yes, it's not booting from the CD. Are you sure you changed the boot sequence and it's actually an ATAPI bootable CD drive....any new drive will be, but some older drives are not, but it would have to be rather old.
  24. well its a plextor 712a which i got like last summer, so i guess it is.
  25. did u check all the connections to make sure that everything is plugged in correctly
  26. Quote:
    well i got hold of a windows cd, and i went to bios and changed the boot device from harddrive to cd rom.
    However its still the same with a tiny difference. It loads up the first bios screen saying what the pc components are, the post test.
    Then it goes on to a black screen with a little white line flashing at the top left, the line from dos when you type things in it. it stays there for a bit then it goes back to the file c:system32...etc etc cannot be found
    Am i doing something wrong or what, i also double checked the xp cd on my housemates laptop and it runs fine from windows.

thanks again

First thought; did you change the first boot drive in BIOS to the drive you're trying to boot from? I've done this myself, changing a first boot drive only to find that I changed it to the wrong drive and had to start over.

Second thought; try taking out the CMOS battery and jumping the pins to clear the CMOS and BIOS. Then reload the BIOS, with the new first boot drive setting, and reinstall windows.

Third thought; the motherboard is bad and is not allowing the reinstall. In this case, the solution is a new motherboard.

Forth thought; the hardrive is bad. Whether bad sectors or something else.

Fifth thought; just occured to me as I was reading your posts about buying parts through ebuyer and getting someone to put the machine together. If that person just put parts together and he didn't install the correct BIOS for the motherboard, then there could be a mass conflict going on with no real communication among the motherboard, BIOS, and hardrive. Just a random thought, may not have anything to do with it.

Maybe you've already done some of what I thought of and suggested, but what's happening on you machine does seem strange.
  27. Did you check the BIOS settings listed in my previous post? VERY IMPORTANT!

Otherwise, put your mobo's CD in another machine and find an option to make a driver disk on floppy. Then add the SATA drivers during the Win XP CD bootup. It clearly looks like The system is not communicating with the HD for installation.
  28. well i finally got windows xp working, i bought a new hard drive which was sata, my old one was an ide.
    So i installed all the drivers and everythign with just my sata drive connected, then i thought lets get all the stuff off my old hard drive.

Now through the many attempts at trying to unsuccesfully install windows, id actually got to the part where i deleted what was on my c drive so i could install a fresh windows (on my ide drive) this left me with E and F drive with all my movies and stuff on.
    So i reconnect the hard drive with the sata as master and ide as slave and set the master as the one to boot from. However when i got to windows it only showed 33gigs as my ide hard drive. The other 130 gigs is missing (the130 adds up to my E and F partitions on that drive)
    Is there any way i can get them back.
    thanks again for all your time
    and sorry to be so annoying but everything that can go wrong will go wrong with me
  29. Hmmm. Somehow I missed your comment about 3 partitions and I assumed you were trying to install to an SATA drive.

What was your old motherboard and which version of Windows were you using with it?

Now, to get the other partitions up on the IDE drive, you may just need to mount them. Try this:

right click on 'My Computer' left click on 'Manage' then left click on 'Disk Management' You should be able to see your partitions on the IDE drive.

You're on your own from here, I use single partitions on multiple drives, but I believe there will be a mount option on your missing partitions.
  30. To add to what MCGTech said, you might try Partitian Magic. I've used in the past and at least sometimes it sees all the partitians, even though it didn't make them. If it sees them, you can then go through the process of mounting them using it's programing.
  31. I'm wondering if it was originally an older system partitioned using The drive manufacturer's setup disk. In the old days, drivers were loaded to bypass BIOS limitations. This would leave the partitions unrecognized without the drivers.

If this is the case, that part of it may have been working fine with his IDE as a boot drive, but Windows couldn't boot with the new mobo. Now, if he tries to boot from the Win CD to fix Windows, it's booting without the partition drivers, and install won't see his previous install.

That's why I'm asking what his old mobo and OS was.
  32. Quote:
    You have to re-install Windows with any new system. You should be able to regain your old documents by partitioning your disk, or installing to another disk.

I hate it when people come in here spouting shit.

You most definitely DO NOT need to reinstall windows for a new machine. All you have to do is uninstall all device drivers and motherboard drivers before the final shutdown prior to upgrading.

And even if you DON'T do that, you can STILL just plug your old XP system disk into a new system. Sure, XP will have a minor conniption, and want to reboot 27,000 times before it has finished wiping its bottom, but it works, and it works just fine, thank you very much.

Typical time to reinstall a full XP system, + software + settings = 20+ hours.
    Typical time to migrate XP = roughly 1 hour.

=====================================

Recovering data from a formatted drive is easy. Use "GetDataBack" but make sure you use the correct version: NTFS or FAT32.

GetDataback will resurrect data from a formatted, or damaged HDD faster than Windows Explorer can copy normal files. Provided the disc still spins, GetDataBack will work. (Even if Windows can't see that drive!)

Most importantly, if you need to recover data from a disk YOU ABSOLUTELY MUST NOT USE THAT DISK FOR ANYTHING UNTIL YOU GO TO RECOVER THE DATA! DO NOT EVEN HAVE IT CONNECTED TO A SYSTEM UNTIL YOU START THE RECOVERY PROCESS.
  33. It's widely accepted that the 'done thing' when upgrading the motherboard or replacing a hard disk (duh) is re-installing Windows.

99% of people are happy to do it as well, as re-installing the OS every 6 months or so gives it a healthy speed boost from a cleaned registry and permanently gets rid of any irritating spy/ad/malwares and viruses (if you have any)

And 20+ hours for a reinstall + a few programs + a few settings? Man, I sure do hate it when people come on here spouting ****.
  34. You are right about the old days and drivers. I didn't think of that. If that's the case, it will take figuring out exactly what was used and then finding the proper drivers to make it work. A "Partiton Magic" of that era might still work, but that could be hard to find.

Another case to support the mantra, "Backup, backup, and backup again" so that important data is not lost. Sure, it might be found by someone with enough equipment to whom you pay enough money, but backing up is always cheaper.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Hard Drives Build