Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Performance
  • Directx
  • Nvidia
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
June 2, 2006 6:00:09 PM

Ok so AM2 is out. There isnt really a performance difference between it and the 939. But at the same time it is better for future technology. Im not impressed with the boards that are out for the AM2 right now. Kinda first gen crap to me. I think ill wait till July to get my new system and possible get the AM2. As for the Nvidia 8 series has anyone heard anything about it? Im sure they will be compatible with DirectX 10. When DirectX 10 comes out is there any way that the 7 series will support it ?

More about : wait nvidia series directx

June 2, 2006 6:42:46 PM

For the 100th time no. Current GPUs do not support DX10 because its completely different. A current GPU will work under DX10 but not support its features. Just as a DX8 and DX7 GPU can operate with DX9.0c installed. They work just don't support the features of those APIs.

I would look more at getting ATIs next card. It will be far better suited for DX10 than Nvidias since its designed as a DX10 card. ATI, I think, has been ready for DX10 since the X1900 series. I also believe theres a chance that the X1900 series will be able to do DX10 effects since they're already emulating DX10 on the X1900 series using the 48 pixel shaders and seeing a speed increase.

Obviously though I'm just guessing and don't know for sure like everyone else. But to me it makes sense since the Xbox 360s GPU is extremely similar to the X1900 series.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b Î Nvidia
June 2, 2006 7:23:27 PM

Remember, also for the 100th time, that if you want to use DX10, you MUST also use Vista. Vista will work with lower levels of DX, but if you are going to use DX10, you MUST have Vista as your OS. What does this mean? If you're going to go the DX10 route, you must have a first gen video card, and (even worse) a first gen MS operating system. If you are that brave, then go for it. As for me, I will wait for MS to release SP1 for Vista before I even CONSIDER going DX10...
Related resources
June 2, 2006 7:38:44 PM

I plan on migrating to AM2 in about 6 months. That way there will be some time for the initial bugs to be worked out and the motherboards will be better. There will probably be more and better ram sticks for it. As to the question of the video cards, I have suspected that the 1900 series cards may have started out as DX10 cards and then were changed and put into the market as DX9 cards because of the delays in the release of VISTA. But I can't prove it. There are substantial hardware changes between DX9 and DX10 cards, as well as software, so what really happened is anybody's guess.

If you're planning to build in the next couple months, you can either keep you present card, if it will work in the new system, or just buy a new one. If a new one, then you must decide if you want to save money and buy a minimal card to tide you over until the real DX10 cards come out, or you want to buy the best you can find at the present. If you want the best, then I'd suggest the 1900 XTX at the moment. It should last the longest of the present cards in usability.

As for Nvidia's 8xxx series, that's a good guess. I suspect that its DX10 and as such Nvidia isn't going to release it anytime soon. Instead they will refine the present 7900 series, like the 7950 that was just released. But that's a guess, and Nvidia could well prove me wrong. As far as the 7xxx series, they will run DX10, but will not be able to support all the features. This is the same as older DX6, 7, 8, 9 cards, that could be updated in drivers but still not be able to take advantage of new features. Such is the way of progress.
June 5, 2006 5:18:09 AM

yep wait... wait for vista
wait for direct x 10
wait for nvidia 8
wait for conroe
wait for DDR3
wait for 152" LCDs
wait for mum to cook me dinner
wait for grim reaper to knok on your door

you can wait for all your life the next gen stuff it will still be pricy and they will be outdated within a month or so.... whats the point.

IF you get your comp TODAY you can use it TODAY, instead of saying "In a months time IF I get my act together can play oblivion like nobody else can".
June 5, 2006 7:33:38 AM

Quote:
yep wait... wait for vista
wait for direct x 10
wait for nvidia 8
wait for conroe
wait for DDR3
wait for 152" LCDs
wait for mum to cook me dinner
wait for grim reaper to knok on your door

you can wait for all your life the next gen stuff it will still be pricy and they will be outdated within a month or so.... whats the point.

IF you get your comp TODAY you can use it TODAY, instead of saying "In a months time IF I get my act together can play oblivion like nobody else can".

useless
June 5, 2006 5:48:12 PM

operating systems don't seem to get outdated within a month since we are still on xp there bud. New os'es seem to slow down the outdating thing since companies hafta catch up. Once companies are confident with the new technology is when they start pumping out newer and better things left and right. IMO that is...
!