Odd problem - Vis range

http://www.ajwebb.eclipse.co.uk/Pictures/FS2004/hmmmm%20what.jpg

ignore my terrible flying for one minute but look at the thames estuary for
what im talking about.

The quality of the ground textures below me are fine, but theres a line,
where it turns from great looking textures, to no textures at all almost...
What is this? Ive been tweaking the FS9.cfg but they dont seem to have any
effect. 10-20minutes of flying and the range and quality drops to like this.

The settings i been looking at are the bottom 3.

[DISPLAY]
UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=0
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=400
[TERRAIN]
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1
TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8
TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=100.000000
TERRAIN_MIN_DEM_AREA=10.000000
TERRAIN_MAX_DEM_AREA=100.000000
TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=28
TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=5
TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1
TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=12.00000 //was 9.500000
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=40.0000 //was 4.50000
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=2 //was 1400000

--
From Overlag - Adam Webb

also noted is the fact that settings in the FS9.cfg file seem to do nothing,
and removing the file also seems to do very little too!! almost as if the
file isnt "needed" at all.... strange.

--
From Overlag - Adam Webb

> also noted is the fact that settings in the FS9.cfg file seem to do
> nothing, and removing the file also seems to do very little too!! almost
> as if the file isnt "needed" at all.... strange.

When you re-start FS9 it will create another cfg file and, as you've
probably discovered, your settings are now all default including your
keyboard and joystick! ;0))

Iain

It rather looks as if you have VFR scenery installed and the line is where
it comes to an end and there is only the default left to see?

Sincerely Quilljar

'Fly Navy, sail Air Force and shoot Pongoes'

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

I have VFR UK scenery installed which gives this effect too.
It seems to happen around 8500ft and above.

My way to solve this was to ensure extended terrain textures was
enabled,giving longer loading times though.

Maybe try that and see how it goes?

cheers,
dAVE

not sure how the tel got that high. I just renamed the fs9.cfg and the new
one had these settings:

[DISPLAY]
UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=20
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=400 <----- Changed from 40 to 400

[TERRAIN]
TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=100.000000
TERRAIN_MIN_DEM_AREA=10.000000
TERRAIN_MAX_DEM_AREA=100.000000
TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=23 <------Chanaged from 19 to 23
TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8
TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=5
TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1
TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=0.000000
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=0.000000
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=232

all other settings default, including the Tel... so you recommend

>>TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=2
>
>>TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=2.5
>
>>TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=6.0

???

--
From Overlag - Adam Webb

GREGORY

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 20:59:43 +0100, "Adam Webb"
<adam@ajmysecondname.eclipse.co.uk> brought the following to our
attention:

>not sure how the tel got that high. I just renamed the fs9.cfg and the new
>one had these settings:
>
>[DISPLAY]
>UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=20
>TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=400 <----- Changed from 40 to 400
>

>[TERRAIN]
>TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=100.000000
>TERRAIN_MIN_DEM_AREA=10.000000
>TERRAIN_MAX_DEM_AREA=100.000000
>TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=23 <------Chanaged from 19 to 23
>TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8
>TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=5
>TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1
>TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1
>TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=0.000000
>TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=0.000000
>TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=232
>
>all other settings default, including the Tel... so you recommend

LEVELS=232 ?? and 0's for radius?? { throwing up hands }

not sure at all now.. its an FS9 thing apparently.

>>>TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=2
>>
>>>TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=2.5
>>
>>>TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=6.0
>
>???

never mind these settings.. simply stuck in a code block from my CFG
better ask a FS9 terrain `expert user' / developer.

-G

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

10-20minutes of flying and the range and quality drops to like this.

I think it depends on your altitude rather than the length of time flying.
Do some tests and check the altitude when it starts happening.
Then do a flight keeping below that altitude and see if it still does it.
If it is VFR scenery,then i usually fly between 4000-8000ft without
problems.

the new settings dont have the sharp drop off about 50miles away, however
it SLOWLY blurs off to it so its less noticable, however the terrain looks
totaly S*** once over a mile or so away

--
From Overlag - Adam Webb

"Dave" <baddsxyz@xyzbtinternet.com> wrote in message
> 10-20minutes of flying and the range and quality drops to like this.
>

> I think it depends on your altitude rather than the length of time flying.
> Do some tests and check the altitude when it starts happening.
> Then do a flight keeping below that altitude and see if it still does it.
> If it is VFR scenery,then i usually fly between 4000-8000ft without
> problems.

"Adam Webb" <adam@ajmysecondname.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message
> http://www.ajwebb.eclipse.co.uk/Pictures/FS2004/hmmmm%20what.jpg
>

> ignore my terrible flying for one minute but look at the thames estuary
for
> what im talking about.
>
> The quality of the ground textures below me are fine, but theres a line,
> where it turns from great looking textures, to no textures at all
almost...
> What is this? Ive been tweaking the FS9.cfg but they dont seem to have any
> effect. 10-20minutes of flying and the range and quality drops to like
this.
> I get this all of the time.
Its your computer.or graphics card
Hit pause and after about 7 10 seconds it should go away.
You can also In FS9 set MIP Mapping quality to max 8.
Then depending on where you are you can back down to MIP seting 5 6 or 7.
This works on my machine Intel 2.5G 512 RAM.

> The settings i been looking at are the bottom 3.
>
> [DISPLAY]
> UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=0
> TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=400
> [TERRAIN]
> TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1
> TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8
> TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=100.000000
> TERRAIN_MIN_DEM_AREA=10.000000
> TERRAIN_MAX_DEM_AREA=100.000000
> TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=28
> TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=5
> TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1
> TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=12.00000 //was 9.500000
> TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=40.0000 //was 4.50000
> TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=2 //was 1400000

everything is maxed out in FS options... its just tweaking the config file
to remove this im having trouble with.

--
From Overlag - Adam Webb
"Nicik Name" <orbits@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

> "Adam Webb" <adam@ajmysecondname.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message
>> http://www.ajwebb.eclipse.co.uk/Pictures/FS2004/hmmmm%20what.jpg
>>

>> ignore my terrible flying for one minute but look at the thames estuary
> for
>> what im talking about.
>>
>> The quality of the ground textures below me are fine, but theres a line,
>> where it turns from great looking textures, to no textures at all
> almost...
>> What is this? Ive been tweaking the FS9.cfg but they dont seem to have
>> any
>> effect. 10-20minutes of flying and the range and quality drops to like
> this.
>> I get this all of the time.
> Its your computer.or graphics card
> Hit pause and after about 7 10 seconds it should go away.
> You can also In FS9 set MIP Mapping quality to max 8.
> Then depending on where you are you can back down to MIP seting 5 6 or 7.
> This works on my machine Intel 2.5G 512 RAM.
>
>> The settings i been looking at are the bottom 3.
>>
>> [DISPLAY]
>> UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=0
>> TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=400
>> [TERRAIN]
>> TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1
>> TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8
>> TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=100.000000
>> TERRAIN_MIN_DEM_AREA=10.000000
>> TERRAIN_MAX_DEM_AREA=100.000000
>> TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=28
>> TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=5
>> TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1
>> TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=12.00000 //was 9.500000
>> TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=40.0000 //was 4.50000
>> TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=2 //was 1400000

dallas

"Adam Webb"
> everything is maxed out in FS options... its just tweaking the config file
> to remove this im having trouble with.

One very important question: Is that default scenery/terrain down below?

Dallas

GREGORY

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 11:56:33 -0400, Gregory
<flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> brought the following to our
attention:

>On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 00:51:57 +0100, "Adam Webb"
><adam@ajmysecondname.eclipse.co.uk> brought the following to our attention:
>
>>http://www.ajwebb.eclipse.co.uk/Pictures/FS2004/hmmmm%20what.jpg
>>

>>Ignore my terrible flying for one minute but look at the thames estuary for
>>what im talking about.
>>
>>The quality of the ground textures below me are fine, but theres a line,
>>where it turns from great looking textures, to no textures at all almost...
>>What is this? Ive been tweaking the FS9.cfg but they dont seem to have any
>>effect. 10-20minutes of flying and the range and quality drops to like this.

Perhaps it will take some time to get your video tuned for a clear
view. Went ahead and toured London vicinity and took this Screenie:

http://home.comcast.net/~flightsim/London_03.jpg (410k)

It's nice and clear for quite a ways out. There's a tradeoff for this
kind of view that should be stated -- and that is SHIMMERING. The
scene appears noisy, almost buzzing, but ones' brain gets used to it.
Then it isn't noticeable. Would rather see bit of zzzzz and get
sharpness.. than a heavily filtered and blurred distance. BTW
triple filtering is turned on in FS.. but ??? on vid card.

-Gregory

>Adam.. maybe I'd like to Sim there later.. haven't done any virtual
>Heathrow Ops since the last northern hemisphere winter!!
>

> -Gregory

its FSglobalSE mesh (2xDVD), but default textures. Ive already spent £100 on
this £39.99 game......lol

--
From Overlag - Adam Webb

> "Adam Webb"
>> everything is maxed out in FS options... its just tweaking the config
>> file
>> to remove this im having trouble with.
>
> One very important question: Is that default scenery/terrain down below?
>
> Dallas

my quality is near that, for about 10 minutes then it starts to wash/blur
out.

http://www.ajwebb.eclipse.co.uk/Pictures/FS2004/essex.JPG

http://www.ajwebb.eclipse.co.uk/Pictures/FS2004/essex2.JPG

http://www.ajwebb.eclipse.co.uk/Pictures/FS2004/essex-labels.JPG

http://www.ajwebb.eclipse.co.uk/Pictures/FS2004/toturkey1.JPG

http://www.ajwebb.eclipse.co.uk/Pictures/FS2004/toturkey2.JPG

Notice on the toturky2 shot the massive blury bit has gone....

also toturky3 and 4

--
From Overlag - Adam Webb

"Gregory" <flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 11:56:33 -0400, Gregory
> <flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> brought the following to our
> attention:
>
>>On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 00:51:57 +0100, "Adam Webb"
>><adam@ajmysecondname.eclipse.co.uk> brought the following to our
>>attention:
>>
>>>http://www.ajwebb.eclipse.co.uk/Pictures/FS2004/hmmmm%20what.jpg
>>>

>>>Ignore my terrible flying for one minute but look at the thames estuary
>>>for
>>>what im talking about.
>>>
>>>The quality of the ground textures below me are fine, but theres a line,
>>>where it turns from great looking textures, to no textures at all
>>>almost...
>>>What is this? Ive been tweaking the FS9.cfg but they dont seem to have
>>>any
>>>effect. 10-20minutes of flying and the range and quality drops to like
>>>this.
>>>

> Perhaps it will take some time to get your video tuned for a clear
> view. Went ahead and toured London vicinity and took this Screenie:
>
> http://home.comcast.net/~flightsim/London_03.jpg (410k)
>
> It's nice and clear for quite a ways out. There's a tradeoff for this
> kind of view that should be stated -- and that is SHIMMERING. The
> scene appears noisy, almost buzzing, but ones' brain gets used to it.
> Then it isn't noticeable. Would rather see bit of zzzzz and get
> sharpness.. than a heavily filtered and blurred distance. BTW
> triple filtering is turned on in FS.. but ??? on vid card.
>

> -Gregory
>

>>Adam.. maybe I'd like to Sim there later.. haven't done any virtual
>>Heathrow Ops since the last northern hemisphere winter!!
>>

>> -Gregory

GREGORY

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 16:16:30 +0100, "Adam Webb"
<adam@ajmysecondname.eclipse.co.uk> brought the following:

>my quality is near that, for about 10 minutes then it starts to wash/blur out.
>
>http://www.ajwebb.eclipse.co.uk/Pictures/FS2004/essex.JPG
>
>http://www.ajwebb.eclipse.co.uk/Pictures/FS2004/essex2.JPG
>
>http://www.ajwebb.eclipse.co.uk/Pictures/FS2004/essex-labels.JPG
>
>http://www.ajwebb.eclipse.co.uk/Pictures/FS2004/toturkey1.JPG
>
>http://www.ajwebb.eclipse.co.uk/Pictures/FS2004/toturkey2.JPG
>
>Notice on the toturky2 shot the massive blury bit has gone....
>
>also toturky3 and 4

Those are quite good.. I must `get on with the program' soon!!

might just Slew up to toturkey2 spot and take a pic. ;-]

-g

GREGORY

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 13:52:26 +0100, "Adam Webb"
<adam@ajmysecondname.eclipse.co.uk> brought the following:

>its FSglobalSE mesh (2xDVD), but default textures. Ive already spent
>£100 on this £39.99 game......lol

Adam.. if doesn't look good.. buy more payware! { grin }

How's this view.. let's `swim it up'.. shall we!!

http://home.comcast.net/~flightsim/Channel_II.jpg (206k)

having fun as usual..

-Gregory

dallas

"Adam Webb"
> Ive already spent £100 on
> this £39.99 game......lol

Only a hundred?... I wish. Get busy, add-on developers need your money.
:)

As a real response, for me those unfocused textures that won't draw have
almost always been the fault of add-on scenery, not settings. But you've
only got mesh... so I'm stumped.

Dallas

Take it easy CRaSH, I'll say it for you, mate - GAME???!!! :)

JW
> its FSglobalSE mesh (2xDVD), but default textures. Ive already spent £100
> on this £39.99 game......lol
>
> --
> From Overlag - Adam Webb
>

> "Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Adam Webb"
>>> everything is maxed out in FS options... its just tweaking the config
>>> file
>>> to remove this im having trouble with.
>>
>> One very important question: Is that default scenery/terrain down below?
>>
>> Dallas

Try a new Display Adaptor Card , BFG or ATI ( 256 MB Ram )

Jim McNulty