Loox 600 and TOMTOM (total newbie)

November 14, 2004 2:43:58 PM

Hi,

I've just acquired a Fujitsu Siemens Loox 600 and TomTom3 CD.
However, I've no knowledge of these PDA devices.

I want to use the Loox as a navigator in the car, so I'll need to buy
a GPS device - but no idea which one! Also I've read that the TomTom
maps can be pretty large. Ideally I'd want to have the UK map
installed on the Loox at all times. Can this be held on an external
Compact Flash device?

Any info would be welcome!

Cheers,

PS If I get on this this PDA I'll probably upgrade - so if the GPS
wasn't device specific that would be more welcome.
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 3:40:25 AM

Mat,

The TomTom Bluetooth receiver sounds like a good match for your Loox 600
with Bluetooth. Other Bluetooth or CF receivers will work, however I use
Bluetooth receivers the most --they are compatible with nearly all leading
GPS applications and Bluetooth enabled Windows Mobile devices.

TomTom's map compression is good, but GPS maps are still rather large files.
You would probably be better off installing the maps on an SD card --or CF
if that is what you already have. Your dual storage is an excellent
advantage.

Best,

Shawna

--

Shawna Kelly
Microsoft Mobile MVP

Contributing Writer
Pocket PC Magazine
shawna@pocketpcmag.com
www.PocketPCmag.com
GPS Forum Moderator
www.PocketPCmag.com/forum

Co-Manager & Editor
Northern California Mobile Computing
http://sf.mobilecomputingsig.com
Mobile Community Moblog
http://mobilecommunity.textamerica.com
"Mat" <matpublic@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've just acquired a Fujitsu Siemens Loox 600 and TomTom3 CD.
> However, I've no knowledge of these PDA devices.
>
> I want to use the Loox as a navigator in the car, so I'll need to buy
> a GPS device - but no idea which one! Also I've read that the TomTom
> maps can be pretty large. Ideally I'd want to have the UK map
> installed on the Loox at all times. Can this be held on an external
> Compact Flash device?
>
> Any info would be welcome!
>
> Cheers,
>
> PS If I get on this this PDA I'll probably upgrade - so if the GPS
> wasn't device specific that would be more welcome.
November 15, 2004 2:34:24 PM

Hello There,
You might want to take a look at the Blue tooth enabled Blue Logger
GPS, which is a portable data logger and NMEA compliant device rolled
into one. I have included the link below if you would like to get
more information on it.

http://www.earthmate.com/prod_bluelogger.asp

Cheers
Denise

matpublic@ntlworld.com (Mat) wrote in message news:<ca54b396.0411141143.578180d4@posting.google.com>...
> Hi,
>
> I've just acquired a Fujitsu Siemens Loox 600 and TomTom3 CD.
> However, I've no knowledge of these PDA devices.
>
> I want to use the Loox as a navigator in the car, so I'll need to buy
> a GPS device - but no idea which one! Also I've read that the TomTom
> maps can be pretty large. Ideally I'd want to have the UK map
> installed on the Loox at all times. Can this be held on an external
> Compact Flash device?
>
> Any info would be welcome!
>
> Cheers,
>
> PS If I get on this this PDA I'll probably upgrade - so if the GPS
> wasn't device specific that would be more welcome.
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 11:29:25 PM

Mat Wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've just acquired a Fujitsu Siemens Loox 600 and TomTom3 CD.
>> However, I've no knowledge of these PDA devices.
>>
>> I want to use the Loox as a navigator in the car, so I'll need to buy
>> a GPS device - but no idea which one! Also I've read that the TomTom
>> maps can be pretty large. Ideally I'd want to have the UK map
>> installed on the Loox at all times. Can this be held on an external
>> Compact Flash device?
>>
>> Any info would be welcome!
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> PS If I get on this this PDA I'll probably upgrade - so if the GPS
>> wasn't device specific that would be more welcome.

Bluetooth is the answer here, there are plenty of good solutions but I would
consider the Leadtek 9537 or it's clones from Rikaline and TomTom. See our
website for reviews and user forums.

--
Darren Griffin
PocketGPSWorld - www.pocketgpsworld.com