Start Menu

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Currently in my Windows XP Home Edition Start Menu (the menu that you get
when you click on "start" at the left of the tool bar on the bottom of the
screen), I have three folders in the top right hand section: "My Documents,
My Pictures and My Music." Under those three is "My Computer." I want to add
in a folder above "My Computer" called "My Downloads." I can't remember how
to add in a folder to the Start Menu. Please tell me IN DETAIL how to do
this.

Thank you in advance,
Orville
3 answers Last reply
More about start menu
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Hi Orville,

    Your options are limited in this area. Here are some to consider:

    You can replace either My Pictures or My Music with a specialized folder of
    your choice. It will behave as the above folders do as in cascading, etc.

    Add Folder to Start Menu - Replace MP or MM (Line 2)

    Or you can add a folder or link under Search and Run. Note: If you running
    an OEM, it will replace their link.

    Add a Folder or Link Under the Run Command (Line 180)

    And/or: Add a folder to My Computer, Desktop and Right Click (Start Button)

    Add a Folder to My Computer and Desktop (Line 130)
    Add a Folder to the Start Button - Right Click (Line 124)

    Another option is adding a special folder to My Documents as a sub.

    ~~~

    Use as an example.

    Go to your My Documents folder. Right click in the right pane and choose,
    New/Folder. Name it My Downloads. Copy your downloads into this folder.

    Go to your "My Pictures" folder. In the right pane choose,
    New/Folder. Name it Images. Copy your images into this folder. Then right
    click
    the Start button/Properties/Customize/Advanced and scroll down to My
    Pictures and choose, "Display as a menu". Apply, ok.

    Then go to your Start Menu and left click My Pictures, your image
    folder will be listed first and will also be cascading.

    Another option: To have "Images" listed on the right side under Help
    and Support, Search and Run. Save the attached .reg file to your
    desktop. Open it in Notepad and change the section listed in brackets
    to your user name, "if" you are using this path. The line in my
    regedit looks like this:

    "command"="C:\Documents and Settings\[Change to your user name]\My
    Documents\My Pictures\Images"

    The above line is an example, modify that line to your exact path.
    Once done, save the .reg edit and apply (double click it). Open the
    Start Menu....

    ~~~

    Right click the Start Button/Properties/Customize/Advanced. Scroll down to
    My Documents and choose List as a Menu.

    Then go to Windows Explorer\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\My Documents.
    Highlight My Documents, then choose File/New/Folder. Name it and move any
    contents there that you want. It will then be added to the Start Menu My
    Documents and cascading.

    Another option if you don't use My Documents and want to point it to another
    folder: Right click the Desktop My Documents icon, go to Properties and
    change the Target path. That will become your Start Menu My Documents
    cascading folder.

    The same can be done with the My Pictures folder.

    --
    All the Best,
    Kelly

    Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "Orville Bullitt" <ohb3rd@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > Currently in my Windows XP Home Edition Start Menu (the menu that you get
    > when you click on "start" at the left of the tool bar on the bottom of the
    > screen), I have three folders in the top right hand section: "My
    > Documents, My Pictures and My Music." Under those three is "My Computer."
    > I want to add in a folder above "My Computer" called "My Downloads." I
    > can't remember how to add in a folder to the Start Menu. Please tell me IN
    > DETAIL how to do this.
    >
    > Thank you in advance,
    > Orville

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Kelly,

    You have a problem on the page you show below. You have this line:
    Add Folder to Start Menu - Replace MP or MM. I clicked upon the MM link, got
    the VBScript File. Trouble it that it downloads a file called "smfoldermp"
    which replaces the MyPictures folder. I tried clicking upon the MP link on
    your page and NOTHING happens.

    Orville

> [...]
    > Properties and change the Target path. That will become your Start Menu
    > My Documents cascading folder.
    >
    > The same can be done with the My Pictures folder.
    >
    > --
    > All the Best,
    > Kelly
    >
    > Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
    >
    > Troubleshooting Windows XP
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >

    > "Orville Bullitt" <ohb3rd@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> Currently in my Windows XP Home Edition Start Menu (the menu that you get
    >> when you click on "start" at the left of the tool bar on the bottom of
    >> the screen), I have three folders in the top right hand section: "My
    >> Documents, My Pictures and My Music." Under those three is "My Computer."
    >> I want to add in a folder above "My Computer" called "My Downloads." I
    >> can't remember how to add in a folder to the Start Menu. Please tell me

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    It has been corrected, thanks!

    --

> [...]
    >> My Documents cascading folder.
    >>
    >> The same can be done with the My Pictures folder.
    >>
    >> --
    >> All the Best,
    >> Kelly
    >>
    >> Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
    >>
    >> Troubleshooting Windows XP
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >>

    >> "Orville Bullitt" <ohb3rd@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >>> Currently in my Windows XP Home Edition Start Menu (the menu that you
    >>> get
    >>> when you click on "start" at the left of the tool bar on the bottom of
    >>> the screen), I have three folders in the top right hand section: "My
    >>> Documents, My Pictures and My Music." Under those three is "My
    >>> Computer."
    >>> I want to add in a folder above "My Computer" called "My Downloads." I
    >>> can't remember how to add in a folder to the Start Menu. Please tell me

Start Menu Microsoft Windows XP