Sign in with
Your question

Multithreaded Benchmarks and 64bit vs 32bit benchmarks. link

Last response: in CPUs
June 2, 2006 6:34:15 PM

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1959&p...

Please take the time to review the whole article.

Action man said in his usual STFU style that there were no games that use multithreading, I guess with the intention to state that multithreading was not important.
http://wiki.extremeoverclocking.com/wiki/Multi-Threaded...

Well, pcstats seems to also disagree with action man since they run benchmarks just to test a processors multithreading prowess. Anyone curious to see how well 4 Opteron cores (AMD 4X4) will do in these multithreaded benchmarks? I am.

Currently all digital media applications use multithreading, with some games already as well. Further, there are currently over 20 games in development that will be optimized for multithreading and multi cores. Basically, one can be short sighted and claim that multithreading is not used today, but the real question is how important will multithreading be in the future. That's the real question to ask.

Another thing I found interesting in the analysis is the large performance boost you can get on some benchmarks just but upgrading the OS to a 64bit one. In some cases, an over 50% improvement.
June 2, 2006 6:48:58 PM

LMM, Just face it. Conroe wins this round. Now please go back to your blog and your fellow AMDroids until K8L comes out.
a b à CPUs
June 2, 2006 7:12:58 PM

dude, you are so lame, why not just STFU!!!!

oh and for your next sock puppet: how bout LDM Limp D*** Mike
Related resources
June 2, 2006 7:22:13 PM

Quote:
dude, you are so lame, why not just STFU!!!!

Basically you are telling the owners of those websites and those that wrote the articles that they and their work are lame. I am simply posting valid information that most all on this board would love to read. Your rude comments are immature and unwarranted. Please post again if you have valid information or news that is worthy of sharing.
June 2, 2006 7:41:22 PM

I don't like MadModMike, but I don't think using the Core 2 Extreme logo for your avatar is the best way to show you're not just attacking him because you support Intel.
June 2, 2006 8:24:08 PM

Quote:
Another thing I found interesting in the analysis is the large performance boost you can get on some benchmarks just but upgrading the OS to a 64bit one. In some cases, an over 50% improvement.

That's been a thing both known for a long time and a problem for a long time. Sure, a 64 bit OS like XP64 Pro has great potential, but as long as software developers ignore it and Microsoft doesn't provide the proper drivers for it, the OS will just eventually die and go away. I suspect Microsoft deosn't want to support it, because that support would take time, money, and attention away from VISTA. After all, if XP64 was able to fill the need, why would anyone want or need VISTA? Simple answer would be that for casual users, VISTA might give them all they need, while serious users could take advantage of XP64 Pro for [/quote]more power. I personally wish that M$ would have developed VISTA and XP64 Pro the way it did XP Home and XP Pro, with VISTA being a simplified version for regular use and XP64 Pro as a complete version for those who want it. But that didn't happen, and it is we, the consumers, that suffer for it.
June 2, 2006 8:58:14 PM

I believe Vista will be available in 32-bit and 64-bit versions.
June 2, 2006 9:16:59 PM

Oh this is tragic.

According to your link:

Current Multi-Threaded Games

* Quake 4 (and Quake 3)

* Call Of Duty 2

* The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion

Hmm no BF2 on that list. All the best games are multithreaded hey? Doesn't look like it to me. Funnier still your linked benchmarks didn't even run them any of the games on the list! They ran fear and doom 3 which showed no improvement.
June 2, 2006 9:19:26 PM

Quote:
I am simply posting valid information that most all on this board would love to read.

Herein lies the problem. You are posting. You should not be posting at all. You have been banned how many times in the last month? The fact that you keep coming back under a new alias simply proves that you have no respect for rules or the moderators in charge of this forum. My best advice for you would be to go away for awhile and come back when AMD has something that the majority will agree is superior. Until then, your blind devotion to your favorite processor company is only gonna result in a lot of flames and disrespect.

Oh and another thing, you say you have never been proven wrong on this forum. What is so bad about being wrong once in a while? A little humility says alot about ones character.
June 2, 2006 9:30:08 PM

Quote:
I am simply posting valid information that most all on this board would love to read.

Herein lies the problem. You are posting. You should not be posting at all. You have been banned how many times in the last month? The fact that you keep coming back under a new alias simply proves that you have no respect for rules or the moderators in charge of this forum. My best advice for you would be to go away for awhile and come back when AMD has something that the majority will agree is superior. Until then, your blind devotion to your favorite processor company is only gonna result in a lot of flames and disrespect.
Oh and another thing, you say you have never been proven wrong on this forum. What is so bad about being wrong once in a while? A little humility says alot about ones character.
OK dude let's just get this settled right now. I have never posted on this forum anytme in the past before yesterday so you need to do some detective work before you accuse me of being somebody else that you didn't like in the past. I don't even know who the F_ck you are talking about and I haven't even seen yours and this other guys conversations! You did this in a previous post where you accused me of being somebody else and it's starting to bother me. So if you are looking to go attack someone because you have a beef with him, please contact that guy instead of attacking me because you think I am him under some alias.
June 2, 2006 9:44:21 PM

I believe Vista will be available in 32-bit and 64-bit versions.

I've only heard of a 64 bit VISTA. It will be able to run 32 bit in a WoW mode, but not be 32 bit itself. Some have said there will be both 32 and 64 bit versions within the VISTA framework. Could be, but that seems cumbersome to me and such a thing would probably slow down the OS.
June 2, 2006 9:45:51 PM

Quote:

OK dude let's just get this settled right now. I have never posted on this forum anytme in the past before yesterday so you need to do some detective work before you accuse me of being somebody else that you didn't like in the past. I don't even know who the F_ck you are talking about and I haven't even seen yours and this other guys conversations! You did this in a previous post where you accused me of being somebody else and it's starting to bother me. So if you are looking to go attack someone because you have a beef with him, please contact that guy instead of attacking me because you think I am him under some alias.

I will admit that there is about a 5% chance that you are not him. If that is in fact the case, please accept my humble aplology (unlike the person I was addressing with the previous post, I am sometimes wrong).
However, if you are him (95% probability) I have let you know once and for all what I think about you. I will therefore make no further comments about your ridiculous behavior, or participate in any of your threads in any way shape or form.
June 2, 2006 9:46:35 PM

Quote:
your linked benchmarks didn't even run them any of the games on the list! They ran fear and doom 3 which showed no improvement.

If you want to complain about the article, I suggest you email the author.
Quote taken from the Fear and Doom "MULTI-THREADED BENCHMARKS" page.
"Gamers who like to multitask definitely need to get themselves a dual core processor. The framerates are absolutely excellent even with Prime95 running in the background! Impressive wouldn't you say?"
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1959&p...
June 2, 2006 9:50:10 PM

Nah man its not MMM, this guy is too stupid.
June 2, 2006 9:51:15 PM

Quote:

I'm not complaining about the article, I'm just highlighting the fact you're an idiot.

Quote:
"Gamers who like to multitask definitely need to get themselves a dual core processor. The framerates are absolutely excellent even with Prime95 running in the background! Impressive wouldn't you say?"

OMG. That doesn't mean the GAMES are multithreaded at all. Who runs prime 95 in the background? They're MULTITASKING! Not MULTITHREADED!

Where was BF2? Its meant to be able to use up to four cores! Oh wait...
June 2, 2006 10:00:27 PM

Quote:
I don't like MadModMike, but I don't think using the Core 2 Extreme logo for your avatar is the best way to show you're not just attacking him because you support Intel.

WTF!!!! Does the entire planet here think I am this MADModMike guy!!??
I finally figured this crap out why people kept mentioning "Mike" in their replies.

So for the whole world here, I am not this guy! So please don't attack me with BS rude comments because you think that I am him which people have been doing repeatedly. It only serves to piss me off by feeling that I am being attacked for no reason which then turns these threads into a slamfest instead a place to share ideas and information.
June 2, 2006 10:01:31 PM

Quote:
Nah man its not MMM, this guy is too stupid.

Oops! sorry itguy! You are right action man MMM would have never linked to those multitasking benchmarks to prove a point about games benefitting from being multi-threaded.

That looked much more like a 9-inch / RettihslluB / Sexbomb move. Only problem there is that the grammar and spelling are a notch higher. So he is probably legit I would say
June 2, 2006 10:13:24 PM

Quote:
Quote:

They're MULTITASKING! Not MULTITHREADED!

Again, take that up with the guy who wrote the article. Going from 2 cores to 4 cores will help both multitasking AND multithreading performance.

And I said that the best games in the "future" will use multithreading!
Not today as you claimed earlier. I said that there were multithreaded games today and then I proved it with the link.

The point is this. You are rudely arguing that Multithreading will not be important for gamers, and I am saying that multithreading will be important for gamers and that multicores will further benefit that experience. The CEO of Alienware agrees with me because he stated that, (multiple cores) "will bring us closer to a totally immersive gaming experience."

Obviously arguing this with Action_Idiot is like talking to concrete so let's just agree to disagree on the possible future benefits of multiple cores combined with multithreading.
June 3, 2006 12:04:38 AM

Sigh. I have nothing against the article, you're using it to prove a point but it only proves you're an idiot!

Quote:
I said that there were multithreaded games today and then I proved it with the link.

Yet your supports up to four cores BF2 wasn't there and theres only three (substandard) games on the list and they have pretty average multithreading.

Quote:
The point is this. You are rudely arguing that Multithreading will not be important for gamers, and I am saying that multithreading will be important for gamers and that multicores will further benefit that experience.

Yeah in the future it will be and in the future I can get faster cores like K8L.

Quote:
Obviously arguing this with Action_Idiot is like talking to concrete so let's just agree to disagree on the possible future benefits of multiple cores combined with multithreading.

I never said anything about future benefits you stupid noob. Sure it'll be good in the future but so will the cpus.
June 3, 2006 12:38:31 AM

Ooh, pointless threadery, 1337. *gets the popcorn*.
Synergy6
June 3, 2006 1:00:24 AM

Quote:
LMM, Just face it. Conroe wins this round. Now please go back to your blog and your fellow AMDroids until K8L comes out.

Excuse me but why is everyone who posts about AMD MadModMike? Obviously with 20% of the world's PCs there is more than one guy who supports AMD.

Wake up and smell the competition.
June 3, 2006 1:01:00 AM

I never once said that you were MadModeMike, but others said you were; I was saying that attacking a guy for being a fanboy as you use an Intel logo as your avatar seems a bit hypocritical.
June 3, 2006 1:02:55 AM

Quote:

I'm not complaining about the article, I'm just highlighting the fact you're an idiot.

Quote:

OMG. That doesn't mean the GAMES are multithreaded at all. Who runs prime 95 in the background? They're MULTITASKING! Not MULTITHREADED!

Where was BF2? Its meant to be able to use up to four cores! Oh wait...

Wow you are such an a-hole, I just can't believe it.
June 3, 2006 1:06:30 AM

It doesn't take away from the fact that I'm right.
June 3, 2006 1:14:45 AM

I should also point out that prime 95 only uses unused cpu cycles.
June 3, 2006 2:10:03 AM

Yeah, there is a big difference between multitasking and multithreading.
June 3, 2006 2:27:08 AM

Hurrah someone else understands.
June 3, 2006 2:50:22 AM

Amongst some idiots, apparently so.
June 3, 2006 4:08:10 AM

lol, it has potential, say two semprons, now that would be badass.
June 3, 2006 6:43:11 AM

Quote:
Yeah, there is a big difference between multitasking and multithreading.

Yes, you are right and I have never stated that there wasn't a difference. So thanks in advance for jumping to conclusions to what I have advocated and confusing yourself in the process.

And in regards to Anand's cheap shot, it won't use more power than let's say a Presler Extreme Edition. LOL. But what you WILL get is tremendous computing capabilities. Actually, there are low 70watt Opterons (maybe 35w ones too) now so, we're talking MAX (not avg) 140 watts including 2 memory controllers.
http://www.sudhian.com/index.php?/articles/show/723/5
June 3, 2006 7:55:34 AM

Nice post. If nothing else it reminds people that AMD still has a very solid hold on the crown.
No doubt you have raised the hackles of the Intel fanboys, and put a smile on the faces of the AMD fanboys.
If conroe can put the 5000 and the 6200 to shame, when real, unbiased benchmarks are run, Intel will have given us a great chip once again.
Three cheers for AMD now. I hope we get to give three cheers for Intel soon.
June 3, 2006 7:57:06 AM

Would you please go back to downloading pr0n on your 4x4 machine?
June 3, 2006 11:08:53 AM

On any other thread, *get the popcorn* would be flamed for a pointless post. But when the entire thread is pointless flaming, I guess it camouflages quite well.

And, err, endyen, I think overclocked engineering samples kicking all that's living and holy out of the ultimate AMD has to offer right now counts as a removal of the crown for now. Not that it matters who has the crown either way, but when one company's ultimate is 20secs and another's is just over 10 in SuperPI, I know which one I'd hand the crown too. If you want to buy a 939/AM2 right now, be my guest, but IMO it's a ludicrous waste of money based on what everybody knows will appear within a couple of months.

Synergy6
!