problem connecting computer to network

sparky853

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
I have an existing network at home consisting of 3 computers & a laptop, using a linksys router with a cable modem. The problem is that one of the computers can access the internet, but cannot see any of the other computers on the network. They all have unique IPs and names. When I click on network neighbourhood, it tells me I cannot browse the network.

Any ideas? Thanks

If I was as sexy as I was smart.....I'd still be ugly..DAMN
:mad:

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
what OS is the offender? Have you installed NetBEUI? At what point does it give you that error message (i.e. how far have you drilled down into Net. Neighberhood?

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

sparky853

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
its a win98se OS, one other comp is win98se, one is 2000pro and the laptop xp pro. I haven't installed NetBEUI. I can open network neighbourhood and I get the icon for entire network. When I click on that I get the error.

I can ping the other comps and the router and get a reply from them all. I'm missing something simple, I just don't know what it is. :smile:

If I was as sexy as I was smart.....I'd still be ugly..DAMN
:mad:

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
are you logging on with a windows logon or a network logon? Don't "cancel" the logon either.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

BeerStore

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2002
if u cant browse the network by click click, run winipcfg or cmd--->ipconfig/all
make sure that u have the TCPIP protocol installed, make sure that ur ethernet card is OK in device manager, make sure u have an ip (same class as the other ones)also make sure that all the puters are in the same workgroup.
ping localhost shoud return 127.0.0.1, otherwise it is smth wrong with ur tcpip or ethernet card.if that work, ping the router(router as well , same ip class as the other computers).
make sure u set up gateway the router,make sure u can ping the router.if u have static ips, ping localhost shoud wrk even if the cable is bad.
make sure u send me a beer..:)

<font color=green>it is never fast enough</font color=green>