I have vista business 64 bite want to upgrade to windows 7 what edition of windo

rbreznik

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
I` in dilemma. I have 64 bit Vista business want to get Windows 7, should I just upgrade or get full version and do clean install ? And which edition of 7 should I use ? Business again or professional ?Please help me. I`m not a pro so I will appreciated your advise. Thank you for anything you can teach me.

Jonmor68

Distinguished
If you want to do an inplace upgrade (retain all programs and data) you will need the Windows 7 Profesional Upgrade (this is the W7 equivalent of Vista Business), or Ultimate 64 bit version. Both 32 bit & 64 bit disks are in the upgrade box.
It appears you don't really need either of these and the W7 Home Premium would do all you want. In the long run a full retail version would be better value for you, and probably cost no more.
The Windows 7 Home Premium $199.99 on the Microsoft website, the Windows 7 Profesional Upgrade $199.99
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/shop
The advantage of the full version, no prior OS required, you can upgrade your computer, including change m/board & cpu or remove it from the current computer and reuse it on a new one if you so wish.
The disadvantage (not really) is you need to backup and reinstall all your programs, which is actually a good thing to do.
If you decide to do this, use the Windows 7 Easy Transfer Wizard to save all your files and settings, don't use the one in Vista.
To use the W7 Easy Transfer Wizard:
Open the W7 DVD drive on your computer find and click migsetup.exe in the Support\Migwiz directory
After completing your new instalation and reinstalling programs, you can restore the WETW file.