Overclocked 805 machine suggestions please!

techtre2003

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
I am looking to build a machine built around an overclocked Pentium D 805. I know the Asus P5WD2-E Premium board would be a good choice, but is there a less expensive board that will do the same thing? Also, For a water cooling solution I am looking at a Gigabyte 3D galaxy GH-WIU01. This goes for around $150, is there something better in this price range?Any ideas on cases under $100 and nice overclocking memory would also be appreciated. I have never done watercooling so I thought I would start out with a cheap processor in case I do something stupid and blow the thing up :( I am not on a strict budget, but it is definately a consideration! If I can get away with spending less money on components without sacrificing too much performance I'll be happy.

netops07

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
Greetings Techtre

I just finished my 805D build and I can share my results with you. First of all the Asus PW5 boards are the best option becasue of the 8 phase power system, but you can also use the Asus P5N boards or a high end Gigabit board. You are going to get what you pay for though, so make sure that the board has 8 phase power.

I know you want a case for $100, but if you spend a little more then you can future proof a bit. Get a Coolermaster CM Stacker, one of the older 810's. The cases give you lots of space and options....and they are BTX compatible.

In my 805D system I am running the Asetek external waterchill system. It comes with all you need to cool your cpu and GPU...also a chipset cooler, but you won't be using that with an Asus board. You can however purchase an extra GPU top pice to attach to the copper base for an SLI setup. :D

If you get the 3D Galaxy you will limit yourself right out of the gate, so I would suggest another unit. The external Asetek unit is great. I am also running full Danger Den internal setups on 2 other system, but I would not recomend that for a beginner.

Get some nice OCZ memory, I run that in all of my systems and have never had any issue when oc'ing.

Do this right and have the money for the right pieces....if not you will regret a hasty purchase.

In short...
805D = good choice (mine is stable at 3.8 with load temp around 53c)
mobo = Asus P5w or P52
OCZ = great OC memory
asetek waterchill external = great liquid cooler based on performance and what you get for the money $349
Danger Den = Great internal systems, but you have to be careful

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
I would'nt thrust a watercooling kit, those things are unreliable and poorly designed, I strongly suggest that you build your own out of high-end parts.

There is a good reason why THG chose the expensive P5WD2-WS Premium mobo, the 8 phases VRMs can cope with the huge amount of power an OCed 805D requires, a cheap mobo won't cut it, especially if you plan to run it 24/7.

Seriously, you might as well buy a slightly more expensive CPU that won't require high-end everything in order to perform...

techtre2003

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
It sounds like the asus board is the way to go. Honestly, I'm not concerned with future proofing the machine. I will probably get it up and running for a bit and throw it on e-bay. I really just want to do this for the experience. How will I limit myself with the galaxy unit? Is it because it is just a cpu cooler? $350 is pretty high, I am hoping to at least get close to my money back when I sell this computer and I don't know if I really want to spend that much on the cooler. I really appreciate your advice, it sounds like you've had a good experience with your system.

techtre2003

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
I was just going to go with a kit because I thought it would be much cheaper. I really didn't consider building my own, but I might look into that. I was going with the 805 because starting Monday I will be able to purchase them for around $86!

netops07

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
Techtre, this is how it starts...you get into OC'ing and decide to get a low priced liquid cooler. In a very short period you realize that you have learned the ropes and you are pushing the thermal boundaries of the cooling solution that you purchased and you want to squeeze more power out of what you have. That is the quick answer.

A larger unit will also give you the ability to oc and cool those cool new vid cards that you will buy eventually.

$86 for the 805d's, we need to talk business. lol

techtre2003

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
I see your point and I would agree 100% but for the fact I can't afford to have more than one machine at a time. I would love to build this machine and keep it but the fact is it really is just an experiment. It really will go on ebay very soon after I put it together :(

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
I was just going to go with a kit because I thought it would be much cheaper. I really didn't consider building my own, but I might look into that. I was going with the 805 because starting Monday I will be able to purchase them for around $86!

Well, just check my sig and head over to DangerDen's website :

TDX Waterblock 53$
Laing D5 75$
Chevette Heatercore 20$ (add 24$ for the Shroud and a 120mm fan)

For 150~175$ you can have a watercooling system that will be leaps and bounds ahead of any kit you can think off...

Just buy the tubing, hose clamps and any hardware you need localy, it'll be a lot less expensive.

Leaktesting (the pump submersed in the hexagonal reservoir is for testing only, it's not part of my loop)
Mounted

techtre2003

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
You've got me tempted! I may have to try to put something together. I don't know how much I trust myself putting something like that in with such a nice MB. But, like you mentioned, I have read where people have trouble with cheaper kits leaking too. Thanks for the great advice (you too netops!)

techtre2003

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
I appreciate the advice. The whole point of building this is to:

A. try out liquid cooling
B. see how much performance I can get from a sub $100 processor

If I were actually going to use this as my own rig, I would have a much different parts list! Again, this is just something I'm doing for fun, then I will sell it and move onto something else. But you are right, the 920 and 930 processors are also coming down in price making them a good buy!

techtre2003

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
Yes, I did do a search but I had a question on a specific cooler. I didn't see anything that pertained to that cooler so I started a new thread. Yeah I know you get sick of reading the same stuff over and over. At least my question was relevant and wasn't AMD vs. Intel or some random babbling. And no one forced you to read the thread anyway :?

netops07

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
The Coolermaster Aquagate mini 120 actually does a good job and it's $99. It outperforms the Galaxy and takes up far less space for a CPU only cooler.

And for the Danger Den lovers on the thread, I am one too as I have 2 Danger Den systems up and running. For someone getting into water cooling I am not sure that is where i would start.

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
The Coolermaster Aquagate mini 120 actually does a good job and it's $99. It outperforms the Galaxy and takes up far less space for a CPU only cooler.

And for the Danger Den lovers on the thread, I am one too as I have 2 Danger Den systems up and running. For someone getting into water cooling I am not sure that is where i would start.

Guess where I started ? DIY watercooling.

All it takes is some common sense (like leaktesting before you mount your loop inside your case) and a good screwdriver to tighten the hose clamps...

A bleeder assembly can be trickier than a reservoir but you're rewarded by a much higher flow rate and no evaporation, I only purge the coolant twice a year.

techtre2003

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
I'll definately have to read up some more if I decide to build a system myself. I'm still kind of on the fence about building one myself and buying a kit. Either way you guys have been a big help. Thank You!

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002

That toy is no better than a typical 120mm HSF. It's only advantage is being more silent.

Then again, given the same fan design and RPM, both should be more or less the same as far as the noise is concerned so an high-end 120mm HSF with heatpipes would end up being a better deal than a toy kit...

techtre2003

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
I did look at the BigWater 745. The reason I was thinking about the Gigabyte Galaxy instead was because of the fact that it attaches to the case. I didn't like the fact that the BigWater had the external radiator, but if I will get better performance, I could learn to live with that.

techtre2003

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
I was just thinking inside the case because it looks cleaner. But you're right, that would kind of defeat the purpose of the water cooling unit if it wasn't performing very well.

MrsD

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Why not just buy a real CPU?
After you buy the 805 for say $100, then $200 for a watercooler, then who knows how much for the case and fans. Your talking about $4-500.
You could buy a real cpu for that much.

techtre2003

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
I understand that. Again, this is my experiment with water cooling. That is the whole reason I am buying these parts. I know I can buy something better and/or cheaper.