Windows Update Problem

Hello. I am having a problem. I am unable to update my Windows XP. When I
click on Windows Update shows me this:

Windows Update cannot continue because a required service application is
disabled. Windows Update requires the following services:
Automatic Updates enables detection, downloading, and installation of
critical updates for your computer.
Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) enables faster, restartable
downloading of updates.
Event Log logs Windows Update events for troubleshooting. To ensure that
these services are enabled:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. Type services.msc and then click OK.
3. In the list of services, right-click the service name, and then click
Properties.
4. In the Startup type list, select Automatic.
5. Verify that the service status is started.

If this does not resolve the problem you may request help from one of the
following resources.

The problem is the in #3 above I don't understand exactly what it means. I
do not have a service named "service" or "service name" or "name". I have a
slew of other services but do not know what server name this directive is
talking about.

More about windows update problem

    When you type in SERVICES.MSC then the new window that
    opens up will have the services under NAME. ALL services
    have an icon next to it that looks like two gears.

Windows Update Microsoft Windows XP