Looking for unbiased processor advice

Scooby2

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2006
Hi,

I am considering an upgrade to AM2 from my aging Xp2400 . While i realize that Core2 is going to be the processor of choice for about six months after its release. I am thinking more towards an easy upgrade to K8L next year sometime. My question is this. Is the new AMD core likely to significantly close the gap in performance or will Core2 continue to leave AMD behind making the jump to Intel a better bet.

[well as unbiased as you can manage please]

sdrawkcaBgoD

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
I don't think anyone knows for sure what K8L will be capable of. We barely know what Conroe will be capable of. It's too soon to say what will be better in the long-term. My guess is they will leapfrog each other for the next couple of years. That's just a guess, though.

Scooby2

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2006
Firstly thanks for the response.

I know that its all speculative at the moment but with the release of more information from AMD I was wondering if some of the achitecture buffs have their crystal balls out yet. :)

baracuda73

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
If you think you need to upgrade now i would stick to s939 and get a 3200+ or 3800+ x2 reuse the ram from your current system then do a full upgrade when K8L comes and we actually know which is better the Core2 or the K8L.

djkrypplephite

Distinguished
May 15, 2006
Either way, you'll still have to switch out your processor and motherboard for the K8L. I doubt AM2 boards today support K8L. Might as well go the performance route with Conroe.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
The rumor mill suggests that the K8L will be on Socket AM2.

As to the question, it really depends how much you're willing to spend. If you do get an AM2 system, don't skimp out on the RAM.

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
switching from your current sys.w/2400+.I would say that you have to do a socket upgrade as well as a cpu.stay with 939 for awhile and utilize full dual core functionality with 64 bit processing.socket 939 cpu's will come down in price,and they do a pile of work when required.so that is my opinion.but to be fair,conroe is not bad either.just that INTEL mainboards and such hardware is quite expensive.anyways goodluck and enjoy.

MB:EVGA NFORCE4 SLI READY
VIDEO:7800GT(SINGLE CARD)445/1.1
CPU:AMD ATHLON64 X2 4400+@2.3DUAL CORE
RAM:SAMSUNG.2X1GIG IN DUAL CHANNEL MODE
PSU:ACE 520WATT
HARD DRIVE:WD300 GIG IDE

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
I would advise against using the ram from old system as it is probably pc2100 at best and realistically you should run pc3200 ram.just to get the most performance out of the system.

MB:EVGA NFORCE4 SLI READY
VIDEO:7800GT(SINGLE CARD)445/1.1
CPU:AMD ATHLON64 X2 4400+@2.3DUAL CORE
RAM:SAMSUNG.2X1GIG IN DUAL CHANNEL MODE
PSU:ACE 520WATT
HARD DRIVE:WD300 GIG IDE

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
I would advise against using the ram from old system as it is probably pc2100 at best
hmmmm athlon xp's had a relatioship with DDR400 for quite a long time...
why dont you ask him first what kind of memory he has?

sepheronx

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
You are expecting an Unbiased answere from here? HAHAH this forums is crawling with fanboys on both sides.

wtf i kept on uploading my avatar like 20 times, how come it isnt showing up?

(its a pic of Johnny Ramone)

itguy

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
If you have no problems waiting a few months then you could wait until Conroe and 4X4 are out and wait for the reviews. Conroe will be released the end of July and will hit volumes around the time 4X4 is beginning to come out.
Any solution will be great for consumers due to the competitive marketplace. Just understand that the wait can often be longer than what is advertised. As an example Core Duo was officially released in early January, but HP didn't have systems to sell until the end of February.

If you want it now, I'd say get a value AM2 cpu and board and reuse everything else.

endyen

Splendid
I doubt he can reuse his gfx card, or his ram. I'd be willing to bet that a new drive is also called for. What with the price of DVD burners being what it is, if he doesn't have one already, he should get one. What does that leave? Oh yah, he'll need a new psu with all the extra power today's systems draw.
Since AM2 is rated for DDR3, it will probably handle a K8L, but by that time, newer chipsets will probably put today's to shame.
Let's face it, if you are still holding onto an old Tbred, you are not likely to upgrade your chip on the new board, or care if a faster chip is released. Build now, because it's time. Enjoy your new system.

Ramsjunior

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
I would wait till the new conroe's are out, even if you don't buy one at least prices should go down for other processors.

kickbutt

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2768

I would say that k8l will be wery close to Core2duo in performance when it comes out. prob winning some and loosing some.
But thats what I "think" right now.

For the next half a year then it prob going to be core2duo that will be the fastest out there. At least clock for clock - AMD will prob drop a few faster cores out there as well as drop prices.

AM2 WILL suport K8L (as it looks - might need a bios change)

If u need a new system now then AM2 is the way to go (yeeh conroe will be faster but it isnt out yet).

If u plan on getting a K8L when it comes out dont pick a to expensive cpu as u will prob loose some money when u sell it.

But then again a x2 4000+ 2GHz dual core with 1Mb/core might be the most bang for the buck cpu out there right now as u prob can cock it to 2.6GHz+ easy on air (and 2.8-3GHz is likly in reach).

Then again if u wait for conroe for a month or 2 (and if u can get one) then its going to be faster atleast if u compair "standard" clocks. (and even overclocked but thats speculation)
Remember that prices will prob be higher at relise becouse of suply and that the MB will likly be more expensive then a mb for amd.

Scooby2

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2006
"I doubt he can reuse his gfx card, or his ram. I'd be willing to bet that a new drive is also called for. What with the price of DVD burners being what it is, if he doesn't have one already, he should get one. What does that leave? Oh yah, he'll need a new psu with all the extra power today's systems draw. "

Pretty much spot on though i get to keep the PSU as its a 550 watt and should be ok. Also one of my hard disks & the DVD writer. Which ever way I jump will require new graphics, Ram and board. (thats why I'm not keen on S939 as its a dead platform)

I can wait for Conroe and by then there may be some more K8L info to be had. But I cannot see myself hanging on for 4x4 (or paying for it for that matter 2 x FX?? is a little steep for my budget)

As for the Comment on the X2 4000 that was just reading my mind :) as this seems like the best power/cost compromise of the new range of chips. Finally its good to know that K8L will probably be the same socket. (I orginally just assumed it would be)