godman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
hallo all :)
I was just wonderin about conroe and the pricing scheme of the cpu and motherboards when it is released baucause the cheapest model with 4mb l2cache and 1066mhz fsb, E6600@ 2.39 Ghz( if im correct) would it be worth the wait and build a new system sometime in august? how much -more-better is it than the current amd athlon 64s and presscots? a lot better or a bit better?

does anyone know or expect intel to change the socket type for conroe, as of now its LGA775, because i dont want to buy it come august and then have to buy a new MOBO :oops: within say the same year (or 2007)!

i know this may be dragging on a bit but is conroe going to be very overclockable? i plan to overclock using the thermaltake bigwater 745 , is this a good enough LCS? would i be able to overclock the CPU to 'beat' a more expensive X6800 @ stock frequencies... because i am i right that if the motherboard fsb is, say 266Mhz ( 1066MHz QDR) then that means if the multiplier is locked i will not be able to overclock any further because of motherboard limitations (FSB speed) ???
thanks in advance :)

godman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
thanks man :)
does anyone know what the conroe E6600@ 2.39 Ghz (with 4mb of l2 cache) really compare to this generation of amdx2 processors becnhmarks etc ? i know tht the conore cpu isnt out yet but its only a question :)
also doe s the extra cache and 300mhz faster clock make the e6600 much more better than the slightly slower clocked and with half the l2 cache e6400?

TSIllusion

Distinguished
May 13, 2006
wahat are you talking about? ive seen so much posts around Toms hardware... and i have no clue... omg... is the conroe really clockable?

no it isnt

if you cant find your answer... then you should stop coming to this forum and stick with being a normal citizen, forget about computer stuff... let alone conroe

FatFunkey

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
um k, anyways

rumor has it they can be o/ced 1ghz on stock cooling and on stock voltage , again better data and reviews will be out when the cpu actually comes out on July 22nd.... :)

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Its very hard to say its 'very overclockable' right now.

We have only seen engineering samples. If I were intel I'd be speed binning my samples and packaging the top ones, then locking these to the various required multiples before sending them out for review/test. That 2.0 gig test sample is a core i'd normally badge as 3.2 gig for retail.

This insures maximum reliability and does not affect performance if the CPU is being run at its assigned speed. After all the last thing Intel want is a sample they send out being even *slightly* unreliable, it would be a PR disaster.

As soon as people overclock these engineering samples however, something they are doing themselves without intel's involvement, the results of the cherry-picked cores are not representative of the final product.

godman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
darkstar ye i see what your saying that the cpus intel aregiving out would be perhaps 'beter' than the retail cpu that you might buy in the shop, it would make sense of them to send a more higher quality cpu to the say people who look at the cpus otherwise the chip owuld look less overclockable.

does anyone have any thoughts on a good system configuration that uses the conroe cpu for £500 ? i would like to stay lower than £500 but i will stretch to £600-£650 if the extra £150 makes a better system (so im futre proofed)
sorry i know it s probably a very tight budget but tell me if im totally wrong with the ammount of money im psending on the sytem :oops:

i plan to build the system and also plan to do overclocking, i guess i would like to play games on it but i think that i would upgrade the graphics card a few months down the line when vista and directx10 arrive so i can psend the money on other things like a better Motherboard based on oC'ing :)

RichPLS

Champion
you sure would think if they have a sorting method, that they would not send out their worst chips for sampling... :lol:
also, they could use somewhat a better quality manufacturing process, possibly slower yet higher yields than when manufacturing retail/oem channel for actual production, and thus could perform better than the norm.