• CPU FAN ARCTIC COOLING FREEZER 64 PRO

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • CPU FAN SCYTHE NINJA PLUS HEATSINK

Votes: 7 53.8%

• Total voters

donco

Distinguished
May 27, 2006
Hey guys, my question is simple, which one of these two hsf should i buy?

CPU FAN ARCTIC COOLING FREEZER 64 PRO
or
CPU FAN SCYTHE NINJA PLUS HEATSINK

sailer

Splendid
You know this is like asking whether someone prefers blonds or brunettes, and leave no room for those who prefer redheads?

Of the two you list, I would pick the artic cooling fan. But if you allow a different choice, then a Zalman 9500. Other people will give their opinion on what they like best, but in the end, you still have to make the choice.

mcgruff

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
I'd go for a ninja if you're looking for the ultimate low noise solution otherwise the freezer provides similar cooling at around half the price. It's a real bargain.

PS: the Zalman 9500 isn't exactly bad but it's performance doesn't compare well to the other two.

sailer

Splendid
There's no doubt which one has the better performance.:

There can be only one. Its just figuring out which one is the ONE. Ok, more opinions, more possibilities, more things to consider. If and when I ever need a better heat sink fan, I have more to look at without making a blind guess. Thanks for the information and my further education.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
PS: the Zalman 9500 isn't exactly bad but it's performance doesn't compare well to the other two.

It's not difficult to find comparitive, measurement-based reviews that disagree. Most of the reviews I see place the 9500 on top. Prices on it have been low lately.

mcgruff

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
I could be wrong - this is one of my sources: Madshrimps. OK there isn't much difference in temps between any of these three but the scythe ninja is significantly quieter at high fan speeds - might even run fanless depending on your CPU.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
I could be wrong - this is one of my sources: Madshrimps. OK there isn't much difference in temps between any of these three but the scythe ninja is significantly quieter at high fan speeds - might even run fanless depending on your CPU.

5 or 6C difference in this one:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article267-page1.html

7 or 8C in this one:

http://www.techgage.com/review.php?id=3823&page=1

4 to 8C in this one:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Zalman/CNPS-9500LED

Big Typhoon is close here:

http://www.pro-clockers.com/article.php?id=73

Up to 9C diff here:

http://www.tweaknews.net/reviews/zalmancnps9500led/index4.php

mcgruff

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Thanks for the links but I don't see how they help to decide. For example the 7 or 8 deg you mentioned in the techgage article is a comparison of the 9500 with the stock AMD cooler not the ninja or freezer. I didn't see the freezer pro mentioned in any of these, and a comparison with the ninja in only one.

The physics ought to say something. The Zalman 9500 has a surface area of 3,268 cm2 the AC Freezer Pro 4700 cm2. Both have 3 heatpipes (I'm not sure if I buy the Zalman marketing blurb that 3 bent pipes are really six). The Ninja has twice as many heatpipes - that's got to make a difference.

I see a lot of comments about noise in Zalman reviews. That might not matter to everyone though.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Thanks for the links but I don't see how they help to decide. For example the 7 or 8 deg you mentioned in the techgage article is a comparison of the 9500 with the stock AMD cooler not the ninja or freezer. I didn't see the freezer pro mentioned in any of these, and a comparison with the ninja in only one.

The physics ought to say something. The Zalman 9500 has a surface area of 3,268 cm2 the AC Freezer Pro 4700 cm2. Both have 3 heatpipes (I'm not sure if I buy the Zalman marketing blurb that 3 bent pipes are really six). The Ninja has twice as many heatpipes - that's got to make a difference.

I see a lot of comments about noise in Zalman reviews. That might not matter to everyone though.

Those were just reviews I found on a quick Google search. I've got reviews that looked to be based on better analytical tests bookmarked somewhere but haven't taken the time to search them out. I'll put it this way - I don't try to imply that it's a slam dunk to buy the 9500. As Wusy points out, it's not the cheapest, although I got one shipped for $45. But of the many reviews I've read, in general it runs cooler than the competition. The only real negative I've heard on the AC is that it's mass and moment put quite a bit more stress on the mobo.

Don't let your interpretation of physics be dominated by # of heatpipes and surface area of fins. The bottom line is performance. There is literature that looks convincing about bent heat pipes working as >1 pipe. But it goes beyond just the number of pipes and fin area because not all pipes perform equally. Like I said, the bottom line is performance. If SPL means a bunch to you, then you might prioritize that the highest and direct your decision from that angle. Or maybe look to go with a water-cooled system. I got my first 9500 after reading that it was a good option for working with my passive NB HP/HS (Asus A8N32-SLI). It worked so well in that rig that I got another when I built my son's gaming rig. His Opty runs at 24-26C idle/27-30 at load. So I got another when I built another Opty rig and got the same performance. Under load, I do hear the 9500 speed up, but one of the keys to me is that it's not an obnoxious tone. Some fans just sound irritating but the 9500's doesn't - to me. YMMV

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Thanks for the links but I don't see how they help to decide.

I knew I'd seen a magazine review recently. It's in Maximum PC, July 206 issue. They tested the Akasa AK-873, The TT Blue Orb II, the Kingwin BA-12, the Akuatek Extreme FS92 and the Scythe Ninjaplus. They compared the above to the Zalman 9500 LED and the Swiftech Apex Ultra.

HSF-------Idle-----Load
AK873----40------- 49
Blue Orb--40-------47
Ninja+----43--------50
FS92------43--------51
BA-12-----45-------54
9500------39------- 46
Apex------29--------36
Stock-----44--------53

They didn't list the PC tested but I think it's an FX-60 on an Asus A8N32-SLI with SLI'ed 7900GTX's. They gave the Blue Orb and the Scythe scores of 9 (which I think was the same score given the 9500 back when it was tested) and gave the Max PC Kickass award to the Blue Orb. The downside of both of these is their huge size plus in this test, the Ninja didn't cool much better than stock. So if quiet is number one, go to water or passive. If performance is king, fork over the big bucks for TEC/water. If you can handle the sound, the 9500 is still the air king and I think it's quieter than stock if memory serves correctly. Well, actually your opinion is king because these are just numbers and all kinds of other issues impact purchases.

mcgruff

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
the Ninja didn't cool much better than stock.
Maybe, if the ninja was running passively in a windy case, those figures might be credible. It's well-known as one of the very best performers in terms of cooling. Since it's designed to do this with a low airflow it's also very quiet with the right fan.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
the Ninja didn't cool much better than stock.
Maybe, if the ninja was running passively in a windy case, those figures might be credible. It's well-known as one of the very best performers in terms of cooling. Since it's designed to do this with a low airflow it's also very quiet with the right fan.

Heck, if you think Max PC falsified data or doesn't know how to test accurately, then why don't you do some testing and publish the numbers? That's not the only review out there to report similar findings for the Ninja. I'm not arguing with you about the quietness, but if low noise and excellent cooling were that important, then why not go the extra step and do water or TEC/water? For me, the noise isn't a huge issue just yet and since I got great deals, I went with the 9500s and on my boxes, they cool great. This box is running an Opty 170 (currently back at stock clock) at 24C but it got all the way up to 31C during 3DM06 this morning. Shudder, the horror of high temps under load...

mcgruff

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
I've never, ever heard anyone claim that the ninja's cooling ability is no better than stock so yes I do doubt the accuracy of their results.

I'm sure you do get good cooling with the Zalman. I'm just not sure how it justifies itself against cooler, quieter and cheaper alternatives.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
I've never, ever heard anyone claim that the ninja's cooling ability is no better than stock so yes I do doubt the accuracy of their results.

So, do you think it's a conspiracy?

I'm sure you do get good cooling with the Zalman. I'm just not sure how it justifies itself against cooler, quieter and cheaper alternatives.

From what I read, you get to pick any two of the three. And I have ways of getting some things cheaper than Newegg, so I don't have to play that aspect so rigorously. It's all about how you value the different aspects of HSFs. When I'm sitting at the keyboard, music is playing most of the time, games part of the time, etc. So I don't really hear the fans and thus noise isn't that much of an issue. But I have put quiet fans throughout and they quieted the box by about 5dB at ear level - it's just not obnoxious, even with the stock 1900XT fan. But what does bug me are high case temps so I like efficient cooling. I have not yet resorted to water for my home rigs. I've done loads of water, chiller, TEC, LN2, you name it cooling at work and at home, I just don't want to have to worry with it. One of these days, I'll build my dream case and it will be very cool and very quiet, but I'm just not ready to do it yet. But it won't have water near electronics. If ya want it done right, ya gotta do it yourself.

Since I am going to build a powerful, yet quiet rig my vote is for the Scythe Ninja. Sure it's big, but depending on what CPU you use, it can passively cool it.

I've done enough research on it sometime ago and I haven't seen any reviews of newer HSF that has changed my mind.

mcgruff

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Since the Zalman is presumably intended to pitch for top spot, it's a shame they didn't include some top-range heatsinks for comparison.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
And FrostyTech futher validates those result proving the inferiorness of Zalman9500 not to mention being overpriced.
Note the chart only tested one 120mm HSF, the Noctua NH-U12. Other native 120mm HSF are even better.

The thing that worries me about the Nocturna is not only the weight (700g without a fan vs. 530g with fan for Zalman) but the height. That high weight couples with the height to put quite a bit of leverage on the mobo. Mobo makers gotta freak when they see that teeter-totter. But don't pay the usual price for the 9500 - it can be had under $50 delivered.