AMD's Plans for the Future

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
AnandTech has a great summary of AMD's plans for the near future.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2768&p=1

Specifically, I want to draw attention to the details on the upcoming K8L architecture.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2768&p=3

First of all claims about the doubling of floating point and SSE resources are correct. However, it isn't exactly as what it appears to be. My understanding of the K8 design philosophy was that every execution unit would be given its own port so that there could not be any conflicts. In this case, AMD has shied away from this approach and has decided to have 2 FPUs and 2 SSE units share 2 ports which is a more Intel approach. This should mean that the potential of these additional units isn't as great (ie. less than 100% performance increase), but some of that is offset by 1 cycle 128bit operation assuming the code is taking advantage of that. I'd be interested to know if the FPU and SSE units that share the same ports are share any resources that may impair their ability to operate in parallel.

Also, at first I was impressed by the marketing of the dual 128-bit loads per cycle, but it appears that this is just a euthamism for the widening of the data buses to 256bit. This will bring K8L in line with Intel designs which have used 256bit buses for quite sometime. Still, this should lead to a much needed increase in bandwidth to supply this enhanced core.

http://www.realworldtech.com/page.cfm?ArticleID=RWT060206035626

Additionally, it is easy to deduce, based on information about the load/store units that the bus between the L1 and L2 caches has been widened to 256 bits.
Integer resources have not been increased and so performance improvements there will come from other areas such as the better caches and improved out of order operation. However, what AMD is adding in regard to the latter is the ability for loads to pass previous loads. This ability has been present since the P6 and PM. K8L will not be able to allow loads pass previous stores as Core can.

The load/store units also have somewhat more flexible execution; they can re-order loads with respect to other loads (although loads cannot move around stores).
I of my concerns about the way AMD is implementing their quad core is the size of the caches. I know AMD is proud that their architecture doesn't need to rely on the "brute force" approach of large caches, but that still isn't a reason to decrease the cache size. The quad cores will only have 512kB of cache per core. Even on AMD's architecture, going to 1MB of L2 cache does make a performance difference which is why all the Opterons have them. Now AMD is expanding their cores which requires more bandwidth with lower latency to feed it and they are decreasing their L2 cache count. There is a L3 cache, but it's only 2MB and 512kB of L2 cache + 512kB of higher latency L3 cache per core is not equivalent to 1MB of L2 cache. It's great that going to DDR2 doubles the available bandwidth from memory, but it'd be better to try to avoid the RAM subsystem as much as possible to begin with. I think the reduced cache size is a consequence of AMD projecting that they may be manufacturing constrained. This isn't a bad thing necessarily since it means they are selling as fast as they're making chips, but it means they have to sacrifice cache to save transistors to improve yields.

Overall, K8L is a great improvement over K8, but I really don't see it completely dominating Core. We'll have to see who's better (probably not significantly) closer to launch since clock speeds and other factors of course some into play. In platform terms though, AMD's HyperTransport approach is really blooming with an addition link per Opteron, unganging ability and the HTX slot.

itguy

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
But before K8L hits the street, I don't think AMD can easily get the performance crown back.
Yes and no.
Once four cores are introduced into mainstream computing platforms which will happen in a few months, the ball will be in Intel's court to come up with an innovative way to make their four core systems compete.

gr8mikey

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2002
I just can't see 4 cores becoming mainstream until they are all on the same cpu die. Until then, dual cpu setups will occupy a very small fraction of sales, mainly just to enthusiasts and professionals. For mainstream use this AMD 4x4 just isn't the answer that AMD needs. Sure it will find its niche, but will never make it to the masses.

Face it, 4 cores is just so completely overkill for the average user. Its just not necessary for the mainstream --- Yet........

gr8mikey

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2002
“Captain!” exclaimed Lt. Worf.

“Yes, what is it Mr. Worf?”, Captain Picard firmly but softly replied.

“Long-range sensors have detected a strange anomaly straight ahead”, Worf looked mildly stern but not worried as Klingons never worry of pending danger or battle.

Before Picard could announce the next order, William Riker, the handsome bearded bridge officer second in command to the Intelprise chimed in. “Shall I call for a red alert Captain”

“No, number one, not just yet – it appears harmless enough. Lt. Commander Data, could you provide an explanation of what is out there?” Picard asked.

“Certainly Captain”, Data then worked to access the ship’s main computer having recently been equipped with the 802.11n protocol the bandwidth and speed of the query was astonishing, within seconds (an eternity to an android), Data had his answer.

“The strange anomaly detected by the long-range sensors is a K8L-plan” Data explained.

“And what is this K8L-plan Data?” Picard asked, a definite inquisitiveness in his tone.

“Captain, the K8L-plan is an odd and very rare occurrence in the universe, while detectable, it is not tangible. That is to say it is something and nothing at the same time” Data replied.

Picard looked puzzled, “I do not fully understand Data, please explain.”

“The K8L-plan is based upon nothingness but it consists of 50% hope, 40% prayer, 8% intelligent design, and 2% BS. In the present form we see here it is nothing more than a ghost trapped in the vacuum of space, but could potentially mutate into something.”

After a slight pause, Picard responds, “I don’t believe we should take any chances. Mr. Worf, please ready the Core 2 Torpedos.”

With a ever so slight hint of glee, Worf asks, “Shall I arm them with Macro-fusion Captain?”.

“Yes Mr. Worf, please do, we need to be sure.”

“Aye, Sir.” Within moments, Worf declares “The Core 2 is ready Captain”

“Thank you Mr. Worf, fire.”

Within a split second the bridge main view screen turned bright white from the explosion as the Core 2 Torpedeo impacted upon it’s target.

“Captain, the K8L-plan has been destroyed.”

Standing up, with his characteristic slight tug of the uniform, Captain Picard turned to Data and said “Well done Lt. Commander Data, well done”. :wink:

Seriously, nice post.

That was very entertaining! How long did it take you to write that?

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
“Captain, the K8L-plan has been destroyed.”

Only to later find out the Core2Torp in fact led to a mutation of the K8L, that being the K8XS, which changed the world, led to harmony and balance in the universe and its near-infinite bandwidth helped solve the riddle of cold fusion. Intel lost market share and went the way of the Edsel and the Dodo. And in my old age, I even became handsome.

As long as we were exploring fantasy, I thought I'd just throw all that in for extra credit fun.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
“Captain, the K8L-plan is an odd and very rare occurrence in the universe, while detectable, it is not tangible. That is to say it is something and nothing at the same time” Data replied.

Picard looked puzzled, “I do not fully understand Data, please explain.”

“The K8L-plan is based upon nothingness but it consists of 50% hope, 40% prayer, 8% intelligent design, and 2% BS. In the present form we see here it is nothing more than a ghost trapped in the vacuum of space, but could potentially mutate into something.”

lol

Ok, perhaps true, but lets be realistic--- doesnt this sound almost exactly like some of Intels old market schemes? Ok, maybe intel has been more like 40% BS and 2 % prayer :D

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
AMD's full presentation is available here.

http://www.thewalrus.org/amdslides.html

In terms of production, they intend to begin full 65nm production in starting Q4 2007 with product release as previously at the tail end of 2006 and into Q1 2007. Interestingly, Chartered won't transition to 65nm production until mid-2007, so probably won't contribute much to 65nm shipments until late Q3 2007. This should work out rather well since that's when AMD will need the extra wafers to maintain output numbers as they begin shipping quad core Deerhound parts. Until then, Fab 36 will be shouldering the 65nm transition.

AMD seems to be getting really aggressive with their 45nm transition since they want to have it begin production in mid 2008 probably for shipments before the end of that year. With reports that Intel's 45nm process introduction may be pushed back closer to 2008, Intel will only have around a 6 month lead. Probably not as much breathing room as they would have liked.

zarooch

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
Just thought I'd also add for those that are wondering, Rev G is not K8L. It is simply a 65nm die shrink of the K8 Rev F.

http://www.hkepc.com/bbs/itnews.php?tid=608464&starttime=0&endtime=0

The first K8L based core is Rev H due in H2 2007. Deerhound is now claimed as a K8L part, but given past indications it'll probably be a K8L "light" Yonah type one.

well at that time Intel would be releasing CPUs at 45nm processes tech. i wonder wot AMD have been doing in the past years... they are completely relying on IBM.. dont they have there own R&D??? anywayz... great competition this year and hopefully in the next.

gr8mikey

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2002
I certainly hope this 45nm transition goes more on schedule than this 65nm debacle. Has anybody acutally seen working 65nm silicon from AMD yet?

sepheronx

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Im sorry, but didnt Intel do this same approche with their Itanium processors? with the 3 cache levels? And didnt it prove sort of... useless? They decreased the L1 cache? Isnt that he fasted cache?

PFF this isnt going to be much more then an attempt to grab at watever flab they can at intel to pull em back. And it looks like they arnt going to grab a lot. (or have the force to push intel back) but this too is just speculations. Wait and See is my moto.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
With reports that Intel's 45nm process introduction may be pushed back closer to 2008, Intel will only have around a 6 month lead. Probably not as much breathing room as they would have liked.

Roadmaps, deadlines, projections... Often late, sometimes never. I mean, predicting when something will be done for the first time is pretty speculative, doncha think?

itguy

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
I certainly hope this 45nm transition goes more on schedule than this 65nm debacle. Has anybody acutally seen working 65nm silicon from AMD yet?
Actually, AMD's 65nm ramp is right on schedule and they have executed it flawlessly. In fact, they already demoed working 65nm pc's this past Thursday.