Now on my third Epson C86

I purchased the original unit late September last year. After two
months it stopped printing yellow & magenta. Head cleaning didn't help
- and by the time the authorised repair agent had also tried this, my
cartridges were cleaned out.

Replacement unit has now died exactly the same way. And another fifty
quid's worth of cartridges got consumed trying to resolve the problem
- I am not impressed.

Both printers were lightly used, and in a clean, dry room out of
sunlight and not next to a radiator.

I would advise caution about the purchase of this model and possibly
its sister printer, the C84. Perhaps I'm unlucky - but 3 printers in
six months is verging on the statistically unlikely. I'll be writing
to Epson about it, since I am considerably out of pocket in wasted ink
cartridges, not to mention time.

I will say one thing. Epson's exchange service is fantastic; instant,
on the spot replacement. You can't fault that, but then, you could
argue that not having the damn things break in the first place would
be even better.

Also, the warranty doesn't start all over again. Oh no. Instead, the
replacement units are only warranted for what's left of the original
warranty or three months, whichever is longer. That strikes me as
being on the shady side of the Sale of Goods Act, and for sure, if
this third printer fails, I'll be asking Epson for a refund, since any
replacement would have, in my opinion, an unacceptably short warranty
period.
18 answers Last reply
More about epson

    "Andrew Mayo" <ajmayo@my-deja.com> wrote in message
    >I purchased the original unit late September last year. After two
    > months it stopped printing yellow & magenta. Head cleaning didn't help
    > - and by the time the authorised repair agent had also tried this, my
    > cartridges were cleaned out.
    >
    > Replacement unit has now died exactly the same way. And another fifty
    > quid's worth of cartridges got consumed trying to resolve the problem
    > - I am not impressed.
    >
    > Both printers were lightly used, and in a clean, dry room out of
    > sunlight and not next to a radiator.
    >
    > I would advise caution about the purchase of this model and possibly
    > its sister printer, the C84. Perhaps I'm unlucky - but 3 printers in
    > six months is verging on the statistically unlikely. I'll be writing
    > to Epson about it, since I am considerably out of pocket in wasted ink
    > cartridges, not to mention time.
    >
    > I will say one thing. Epson's exchange service is fantastic; instant,
    > on the spot replacement. You can't fault that, but then, you could
    > argue that not having the damn things break in the first place would
    > be even better.
    >
    > Also, the warranty doesn't start all over again. Oh no. Instead, the
    > replacement units are only warranted for what's left of the original
    > warranty or three months, whichever is longer. That strikes me as
    > being on the shady side of the Sale of Goods Act, and for sure, if
    > this third printer fails, I'll be asking Epson for a refund, since any
    > replacement would have, in my opinion, an unacceptably short warranty
    > period.
    Sorry, to hear about your dilemma. You stated that the printers were
    lightly used. I think that may have been your problem. From what I've been
    reading on the net, Epson printers use very small nozzles in their print
    heads. If you do not use them on a regular basis the inks tend to dry up a
    clog the heads. I have the C82 model and have also made the mistake of not
    using it on a regular basis. Now I'm starting to have print quality issues.
    Like you, doing a head cleaning doesn't help.

    On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 15:25:47 -0500, RE: Re: Now on my third Epson C86
    "ftran999" <ftran999@comcast.net> wrote:

    >"Andrew Mayo" <ajmayo@my-deja.com> wrote in message

    >> I will say one thing. Epson's exchange service is fantastic; instant,
    >> on the spot replacement. You can't fault that, but then, you could
    >> argue that not having the damn things break in the first place would
    >> be even better.

    The exchange service is probably well-used. When you must exchange
    thousands of units weekly, you get good at it.

    >> Also, the warranty doesn't start all over again. Oh no. Instead, the
    >> replacement units are only warranted for what's left of the original
    >> warranty or three months, whichever is longer. That strikes me as
    >> being on the shady side of the Sale of Goods Act, and for sure, if
    >> this third printer fails, I'll be asking Epson for a refund, since any
    >> replacement would have, in my opinion, an unacceptably short warranty
    >> period.
    >Sorry, to hear about your dilemma. You stated that the printers were
    >lightly used. I think that may have been your problem. From what I've been
    >reading on the net, Epson printers use very small nozzles in their print
    >heads. If you do not use them on a regular basis the inks tend to dry up a
    >clog the heads.

    Then that would be a design defect.

    --
    To reply to me directly, remove the XXX characters from my email address.

    "ftran999" <ftran999@comcast.net> wrote in message

    > "Andrew Mayo" <ajmayo@my-deja.com> wrote in message
    >>I purchased the original unit late September last year. After two
    >> months it stopped printing yellow & magenta. Head cleaning didn't help
    >> - and by the time the authorised repair agent had also tried this, my
    >> cartridges were cleaned out.
    >>
    >> Replacement unit has now died exactly the same way. And another fifty
    >> quid's worth of cartridges got consumed trying to resolve the problem
    >> - I am not impressed.
    >>
    >> Both printers were lightly used, and in a clean, dry room out of
    >> sunlight and not next to a radiator.
    >>
    >> I would advise caution about the purchase of this model and possibly
    >> its sister printer, the C84. Perhaps I'm unlucky - but 3 printers in
    >> six months is verging on the statistically unlikely. I'll be writing
    >> to Epson about it, since I am considerably out of pocket in wasted ink
    >> cartridges, not to mention time.
    >>
    >> I will say one thing. Epson's exchange service is fantastic; instant,
    >> on the spot replacement. You can't fault that, but then, you could
    >> argue that not having the damn things break in the first place would
    >> be even better.
    >>
    >> Also, the warranty doesn't start all over again. Oh no. Instead, the
    >> replacement units are only warranted for what's left of the original
    >> warranty or three months, whichever is longer. That strikes me as
    >> being on the shady side of the Sale of Goods Act, and for sure, if
    >> this third printer fails, I'll be asking Epson for a refund, since any
    >> replacement would have, in my opinion, an unacceptably short warranty
    >> period.
    > Sorry, to hear about your dilemma. You stated that the printers were
    > lightly used. I think that may have been your problem. From what I've
    > been reading on the net, Epson printers use very small nozzles in their
    > print heads. If you do not use them on a regular basis the inks tend to
    > dry up a clog the heads. I have the C82 model and have also made the
    > mistake of not using it on a regular basis. Now I'm starting to have
    > print quality issues. Like you, doing a head cleaning doesn't help.

    I have to agree with your assessment. With inkjet printers, inactivity of
    the printer is not a good thing. Should print ANYTHING at least once a week
    to keep the print heads flowing.

    --
    M.Stepelton
    http://MStepelton.freeservers.com

    There is no warning that I know of on any inkjet that states "Ink will
    clog the heads if you do not use it very much even though you have no
    need to. We recommend that you waste ink every day" Now if that is
    what is required to use the printer they should say so. Lack of that
    warning may indeed indicate a design defect. Yet again, there may be no
    other way to design them short of an elaborate method of cleaning the
    heads with some cheap substance and I do not think we would want to pay
    for it.

    Too bad that HP carts are so expensive. I think they have dramatically
    reduced the problem.

    Vic Dura wrote:

    >On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 15:25:47 -0500, RE: Re: Now on my third Epson C86
    >"ftran999" <ftran999@comcast.net> wrote:
    >

    >>"Andrew Mayo" <ajmayo@my-deja.com> wrote in message
    >>

    >>>I will say one thing. Epson's exchange service is fantastic; instant,
    >>>on the spot replacement. You can't fault that, but then, you could
    >>>argue that not having the damn things break in the first place would
    >>>be even better.
    >>>

    >The exchange service is probably well-used. When you must exchange
    >thousands of units weekly, you get good at it.
    >

    >>>Also, the warranty doesn't start all over again. Oh no. Instead, the
    >>>replacement units are only warranted for what's left of the original
    >>>warranty or three months, whichever is longer. That strikes me as
    >>>being on the shady side of the Sale of Goods Act, and for sure, if
    >>>this third printer fails, I'll be asking Epson for a refund, since any
    >>>replacement would have, in my opinion, an unacceptably short warranty
    >>>period.
    >>>

    >>Sorry, to hear about your dilemma. You stated that the printers were
    >>lightly used. I think that may have been your problem. From what I've been
    >>reading on the net, Epson printers use very small nozzles in their print
    >>heads. If you do not use them on a regular basis the inks tend to dry up a
    >>clog the heads.
    >>

    >Then that would be a design defect.

    Epson has had a problem with some of the C and CX printers with the
    purge vacuum supply hose falling off of the underside of the cleaning
    station during cartridge replacement. Also, some printers are just out
    of spec right out of the factory, so the heads don't properly cap and
    they dry out. The Durabrite inks are more prone that others to clog and
    dry out, it appears from the complaints I see.

    I'm not offering any excuses, just "the facts" as I have seen and
    experienced them.

    Regarding the warranty, I do not know of ANY warranty that starts over
    on replacement or repair of an item. The best I have seen is that
    usually, if your warranty is about to run out after a repair or
    replacement they will extend it for up to 90 days, although more often
    about 30 days.

    Art

    Andrew Mayo wrote:

    > I purchased the original unit late September last year. After two
    > months it stopped printing yellow & magenta. Head cleaning didn't help
    > - and by the time the authorised repair agent had also tried this, my
    > cartridges were cleaned out.
    >
    > Replacement unit has now died exactly the same way. And another fifty
    > quid's worth of cartridges got consumed trying to resolve the problem
    > - I am not impressed.
    >
    > Both printers were lightly used, and in a clean, dry room out of
    > sunlight and not next to a radiator.
    >
    > I would advise caution about the purchase of this model and possibly
    > its sister printer, the C84. Perhaps I'm unlucky - but 3 printers in
    > six months is verging on the statistically unlikely. I'll be writing
    > to Epson about it, since I am considerably out of pocket in wasted ink
    > cartridges, not to mention time.
    >
    > I will say one thing. Epson's exchange service is fantastic; instant,
    > on the spot replacement. You can't fault that, but then, you could
    > argue that not having the damn things break in the first place would
    > be even better.
    >
    > Also, the warranty doesn't start all over again. Oh no. Instead, the
    > replacement units are only warranted for what's left of the original
    > warranty or three months, whichever is longer. That strikes me as
    > being on the shady side of the Sale of Goods Act, and for sure, if
    > this third printer fails, I'll be asking Epson for a refund, since any
    > replacement would have, in my opinion, an unacceptably short warranty
    > period.

    If you do not yet have my Epson Cleaning Manual, please email me for a
    copy. It is free and you will not be spammed. The manual explains how
    to very inexpensively (like $3 worth of household cleaners from your
    local grocery) make up cleaning fluid and how to easily resolve most
    print quality issues with your printer.

    Art

    ftran999 wrote:

    > "Andrew Mayo" <ajmayo@my-deja.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>I purchased the original unit late September last year. After two
    >>months it stopped printing yellow & magenta. Head cleaning didn't help
    >>- and by the time the authorised repair agent had also tried this, my
    >>cartridges were cleaned out.
    >>
    >>Replacement unit has now died exactly the same way. And another fifty
    >>quid's worth of cartridges got consumed trying to resolve the problem
    >>- I am not impressed.
    >>
    >>Both printers were lightly used, and in a clean, dry room out of
    >>sunlight and not next to a radiator.
    >>
    >>I would advise caution about the purchase of this model and possibly
    >>its sister printer, the C84. Perhaps I'm unlucky - but 3 printers in
    >>six months is verging on the statistically unlikely. I'll be writing
    >>to Epson about it, since I am considerably out of pocket in wasted ink
    >>cartridges, not to mention time.
    >>
    >>I will say one thing. Epson's exchange service is fantastic; instant,
    >>on the spot replacement. You can't fault that, but then, you could
    >>argue that not having the damn things break in the first place would
    >>be even better.
    >>
    >>Also, the warranty doesn't start all over again. Oh no. Instead, the
    >>replacement units are only warranted for what's left of the original
    >>warranty or three months, whichever is longer. That strikes me as
    >>being on the shady side of the Sale of Goods Act, and for sure, if
    >>this third printer fails, I'll be asking Epson for a refund, since any
    >>replacement would have, in my opinion, an unacceptably short warranty
    >>period.
    >
    > Sorry, to hear about your dilemma. You stated that the printers were
    > lightly used. I think that may have been your problem. From what I've been
    > reading on the net, Epson printers use very small nozzles in their print
    > heads. If you do not use them on a regular basis the inks tend to dry up a
    > clog the heads. I have the C82 model and have also made the mistake of not
    > using it on a regular basis. Now I'm starting to have print quality issues.
    > Like you, doing a head cleaning doesn't help.

    I agree, in part. The ink formulation and the cleaning methods need to
    be changed, but one consideration is that the clogging problem is most
    common with certain climatic conditions, like very dry climates.
    Unfortunately if you want to pay under $100 for a printer using pigment
    colorant inks, Epson is your only choice right now.

    Art

    Arthur Entlich wrote:

    > Epson has had a problem with some of the C and CX printers with the
    > purge vacuum supply hose falling off of the underside of the cleaning
    > station during cartridge replacement. Also, some printers are just
    > out of spec right out of the factory, so the heads don't properly cap
    > and they dry out. The Durabrite inks are more prone that others to
    > clog and dry out, it appears from the complaints I see.
    >
    > I'm not offering any excuses, just "the facts" as I have seen and
    > experienced them.
    >
    > Regarding the warranty, I do not know of ANY warranty that starts over
    > on replacement or repair of an item.

    I almost agreed with you on this except I just had first hand experience
    with one. The screen on my LG phone cause me intermittent problems
    tonight. I have 2 months left on a 1 year warranty. I called Verizon
    and they are sending me a replacement. When asked, they informed me
    that the replacement is warranted for 12 months after I receive it. I
    was pleasantly surprised.

    > The best I have seen is that usually, if your warranty is about to run
    > out after a repair or replacement they will extend it for up to 90
    > days, although more often about 30 days.
    >
    > Art
    >
    > Andrew Mayo wrote:
    >
    >> I purchased the original unit late September last year. After two
    >> months it stopped printing yellow & magenta. Head cleaning didn't help
    >> - and by the time the authorised repair agent had also tried this, my
    >> cartridges were cleaned out.
    >>
    >> Replacement unit has now died exactly the same way. And another fifty
    >> quid's worth of cartridges got consumed trying to resolve the problem
    >> - I am not impressed.
    >>
    >> Both printers were lightly used, and in a clean, dry room out of
    >> sunlight and not next to a radiator.
    >>
    >> I would advise caution about the purchase of this model and possibly
    >> its sister printer, the C84. Perhaps I'm unlucky - but 3 printers in
    >> six months is verging on the statistically unlikely. I'll be writing
    >> to Epson about it, since I am considerably out of pocket in wasted ink
    >> cartridges, not to mention time.
    >>
    >> I will say one thing. Epson's exchange service is fantastic; instant,
    >> on the spot replacement. You can't fault that, but then, you could
    >> argue that not having the damn things break in the first place would
    >> be even better.
    >>
    >> Also, the warranty doesn't start all over again. Oh no. Instead, the
    >> replacement units are only warranted for what's left of the original
    >> warranty or three months, whichever is longer. That strikes me as
    >> being on the shady side of the Sale of Goods Act, and for sure, if
    >> this third printer fails, I'll be asking Epson for a refund, since any
    >> replacement would have, in my opinion, an unacceptably short warranty
    >> period.

    As far as how often it was used; probably once a week. This seems
    reasonable to me. If the damn thing's going to clog if not used, say,
    daily, I think this is a product defect that renders it unsuitable for
    purpose under the UK Sale of Goods Act. In fact, there's a good
    argument that, frankly, I would expect it to sit idle for up to a
    month without clogging. That sounds reasonable - I might go on
    holiday, for instance. If I leave my car undriven for a month, I'd
    expect it to start next time I use it - any modern car that didn't
    reliably start in these circumstances would be rightly criticised
    (assuming, of course, your battery is in good order & you didn't leave
    the lights on).

    I'm certainly going to discuss this in writing with Epson. I will post
    their response, if any.

    Meanwhile, as to the warranty of replaced equipment, I can't find
    anything definitive inasmuch as the warranty is an entirely separate
    contract and does not affect any rights under the Sale of Goods Act,
    which, interestingly, applies for up to six years after purchase. One
    woman successfully won a case against a high street retailer for a
    washing machine that failed after 18 months, for example.

    I had heard about the dislodged pipe problem but understood this to
    have applied only to the C82 model; it will be interesting to see
    whether there is a generic fault. If there is, I certainly expect
    compensation for my cartridges, I have to say.

    Well, that is indeed a unique company, I hope they can justify
    continuing to do so.

    Art

    measekite wrote:

    >> Regarding the warranty, I do not know of ANY warranty that starts over
    >> on replacement or repair of an item.
    >

    > I almost agreed with you on this except I just had first hand experience
    > with one. The screen on my LG phone cause me intermittent problems
    > tonight. I have 2 months left on a 1 year warranty. I called Verizon
    > and they are sending me a replacement. When asked, they informed me
    > that the replacement is warranted for 12 months after I receive it. I
    > was pleasantly surprised.
    >
    >> The best I have seen is that usually, if your warranty is about to run
    >> out after a repair or replacement they will extend it for up to 90
    >> days, although more often about 30 days.
    >>
    >> Art

    On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 12:14:36 GMT, RE: Re: Now on my third Epson C86
    Arthur Entlich <artistic@telus.net> wrote:

    >Well, that is indeed a unique company, I hope they can justify
    >continuing to do so.

    When a company makes a reliable product they can afford to have very
    generous warranty terms as the warranty is seldom needed.

    It's been my experience that the more stringent the warranty terms the
    less reliable the product.

    --

    Andrew Mayo wrote:

    >As far as how often it was used; probably once a week. This seems
    >reasonable to me. If the damn thing's going to clog if not used, say,
    >daily, I think this is a product defect that renders it unsuitable for
    >purpose under the UK Sale of Goods Act.

    I do not know about UK laws but I agree that once a week is reasonable.
    I wonder how many they would sell if there was a big warning on the out
    side of the box that says: "This printer is without warranty of any
    kind if not used on a daily basis. Failure to print daily can result in
    print head clogs that may render the printer useless" I am not
    advocating this extreme measure by any means but if printing once a week
    or even once every few weeks is not adequate, it may be considered a
    design failure. The majority of people who buy printers, especially for
    printing photos are holiday and occasion photographers and print
    relatively infrequently and many only show up on a newsgroup like this,
    if at all, when they have a problem they cannot find an answer to via
    the "normal" channels.

    >In fact, there's a good
    >argument that, frankly, I would expect it to sit idle for up to a
    >month without clogging.

    Amen!

    >That sounds reasonable - I might go on
    >holiday, for instance. If I leave my car undriven for a month, I'd
    >expect it to start next time I use it - any modern car that didn't
    >reliably start in these circumstances would be rightly criticised
    >(assuming, of course, your battery is in good order & you didn't leave
    >the lights on).
    >
    >I'm certainly going to discuss this in writing with Epson. I will post
    >their response, if any.
    >
    >Meanwhile, as to the warranty of replaced equipment, I can't find
    >anything definitive inasmuch as the warranty is an entirely separate
    >contract and does not affect any rights under the Sale of Goods Act,
    >which, interestingly, applies for up to six years after purchase. One
    >woman successfully won a case against a high street retailer for a
    >washing machine that failed after 18 months, for example.
    >
    >I had heard about the dislodged pipe problem but understood this to
    >have applied only to the C82 model; it will be interesting to see
    >whether there is a generic fault. If there is, I certainly expect
    >compensation for my cartridges, I have to say.

    Hyundai has a generous warranty and so does Kia. Kia is rated a number
    1 killing machine in crash tests and both, while looking nice and have
    good points are rating poorly by all who rate autos. When compared to
    the Japanese counterparts for a few hundred more, there is no
    comparison. The warranty on the Japanese cars is not as generous.

    > Hyundai has a generous warranty and so does Kia. Kia is rated a number 1
    > killing machine in crash tests and both, while looking nice and have good
    > points are rating poorly by all who rate autos. When compared to the
    > Japanese counterparts for a few hundred more, there is no comparison. The
    > warranty on the Japanese cars is not as generous.

    How many people have been killed by a printer recently?

    On 16-Mar-2005, measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > >In fact, there's a good
    > >argument that, frankly, I would expect it to sit idle for up to a
    > >month without clogging.
    > >
    > Amen!

    You expect Epson to care a damm!!! How naive!
    They sell ink, most of which goes on cleaning heads,
    at rip-off prices, if the printer packs up they sell
    you a new one. They are laughing all the way to
    the bank, and at your expense.

    If you don't buy another Epson all the Pacific Rim
    manufacturers source one anothers parts, use
    virtually slave labour, and as a result are the worlds
    fastest growing economy. For our part we pay the
    local council to cart them off for landfill.

    My dye ink Epson printers can sometimes sit idle for months (i have
    quite a few and they aren't all in use regularly) and they usually are
    fine after one or two utility cleanings. However, those running resin
    and pigment inks may be more difficult to get going after long periods
    without use.

    Art

    Arthur Entlich wrote:

    > My dye ink Epson printers can sometimes sit idle for months (i have
    > quite a few and they aren't all in use regularly) and they usually are
    > fine after one or two utility cleanings.

    Even so, I hear from other users on this NG that these Utility cleanings
    on an Epson use a great deal of ink. I also heard that the deep
    cleaning on the Canon (the heavier one) uses a lot of ink as well. Why
    don't the mfg sell a cheap cleaning cart filled with cleaning solution
    for this. Better yet, this should be an extra tank in the printer that
    uses all of the nozzles. I know this is not in their best interest from
    a profit point of view but if one mfg did this they might corner the
    market and force the others to be competitive.

    > However, those running resin and pigment inks may be more difficult to
    > get going after long periods without use.
    >
    > Art
    >
    > measekite wrote:
    >

    >> Andrew Mayo wrote:
    >>
    >>> As far as how often it was used; probably once a week. This seems
    >>> reasonable to me. If the damn thing's going to clog if not used, say,
    >>> daily, I think this is a product defect that renders it unsuitable for
    >>> purpose under the UK Sale of Goods Act.
    >>

    >> I do not know about UK laws but I agree that once a week is
    >> reasonable. I wonder how many they would sell if there was a big
    >> warning on the out side of the box that says: "This printer is
    >> without warranty of any kind if not used on a daily basis. Failure
    >> to print daily can result in print head clogs that may render the
    >> printer useless" I am not advocating this extreme measure by any
    >> means but if printing once a week or even once every few weeks is not
    >> adequate, it may be considered a design failure. The majority of
    >> people who buy printers, especially for printing photos are holiday
    >> and occasion photographers and print relatively infrequently and many
    >> only show up on a newsgroup like this, if at all, when they have a
    >> problem they cannot find an answer to via the "normal" channels.
    >>
    >>> In fact, there's a good
    >>> argument that, frankly, I would expect it to sit idle for up to a
    >>> month without clogging.
    >>

    >> Amen!

    measekite wrote:
    I agree with you, there are a number of design ideas I came up with to
    help resolve this matter, but none use up as much inks as beautifully as
    the current methods. ;-)

    Art

    > Arthur Entlich wrote:
    >
    >> My dye ink Epson printers can sometimes sit idle for months (i have
    >> quite a few and they aren't all in use regularly) and they usually are
    >> fine after one or two utility cleanings.
    >

    > Even so, I hear from other users on this NG that these Utility cleanings
    > on an Epson use a great deal of ink. I also heard that the deep
    > cleaning on the Canon (the heavier one) uses a lot of ink as well. Why
    > don't the mfg sell a cheap cleaning cart filled with cleaning solution
    > for this. Better yet, this should be an extra tank in the printer that
    > uses all of the nozzles. I know this is not in their best interest from
    > a profit point of view but if one mfg did this they might corner the
    > market and force the others to be competitive.
    >
    >> However, those running resin and pigment inks may be more difficult to
    >> get going after long periods without use.
    >>
    >> Art
    >>
    >> measekite wrote:

Printers Epson Peripherals