ATI - getting into the Physics Accelerators

tmac

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2004
New ATI RD600 platform to support conroe - The soon to be release statement at computex 2006 - talks about 48 PCI-E Lanes, and supports
3 PCI-E slots, 2 for crossfire, and 1 for physics acceleration. More on
the ATI physics acceleration to be announced at the computex.

http://www.pureoverclock.com/story796.html

What do you think?

sailer

Splendid
1. Unless it was just a bad angle on the photo, I didn't see any PCI slots for add in cards

2. The third slot looked like nothing more than a PCI-E 1x slot, nothing that isn't already present on a number of other boards. Could be different, but that's what it looks like.

3. When it comes to dedicated physicx cards, so what? I expect the physicx acceleration hardware will be integrated into regular graphics card if it proves viable. Like Action Man said, physics acceleration=fad, or at least the add in cards =fad.

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Eight cores? Holy crap that'd be total overkill.

Well before the rest of the computer users catch up to the fact that "Pentium Has died years ago" and there are "More than one Core" On computers they'll find a AMD64X2 3800+ "too much, too fast" so of anyone realises besides the "Computing and enthausist" community that Core 2 Duo and K8L are Light years beyond "Hyperthreading" and "Netburst" technology while still maintaining the Sub-3Ghz or the ~3Ghz Speed

I'm surprised to learn that most people don't know Pentium 4 has died, Hyperthreading is a joke, and that we have 64-bit computing. And "Speed is'nt *Everything!" Lols i still laugh my ass!! off when these Programming nerds try or atleast attemp to strike up a conversation with me on Processer and Speed technology.. Funnyest was when some one said that their 2.4Ghz Pentium 4 Emachine could cream my Rig.

Check out my rig and dare to Tell me that a 2.4Ghz Pentium 4 can beat it with a straight face. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Eight cores? Holy crap that'd be total overkill.

You'll need one core to monitor all the fans, water coolers, TECs, etcs.

Another core will be required to monitor the overclocks on the other cores.

Core three will be used to act as conductor for the RAM. Not like electrical conductor, but like at the symphony. And-a-one-and-a-two.

Core #4 is for GPU #1, core #5 is GPU #2.

Core #6 is physix, naturally.

Core #7 is the CPU. It's in socket #7 cuz you gonna need to be one lucky mofo to get this rig offa da ground, bro. Imagine the frickin' BIOS tweaks. Dear Dr. CPU, my cores were old tech before I figgered out how to tweak my BIOS...

Core #8 will monitor electrical costs to run the other cores and auto-surf the web for deals on RAM and HSFs - cuz you're gonna need loads of RAM upgrades to compete and you'll have so many HSFs in there it will look like an army of copper armadildoes.

Legenic

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Well before the rest of the computer users catch up to the fact that "Pentium Has died years ago" and there are "More than one Core" On computers they'll find a AMD64X2 3800+ "too much, too fast" so of anyone realises besides the "Computing and enthausist" community that Core 2 Duo and K8L are Light years beyond "Hyperthreading" and "Netburst" technology while still maintaining the Sub-3Ghz or the ~3Ghz Speed

I'm surprised to learn that most people don't know Pentium 4 has died, Hyperthreading is a joke, and that we have 64-bit computing. And "Speed is'nt *Everything!" Lols i still laugh my ass!! off when these Programming nerds try or atleast attemp to strike up a conversation with me on Processer and Speed technology.. Funnyest was when some one said that their 2.4Ghz Pentium 4 Emachine could cream my Rig.

Check out my rig and dare to Tell me that a 2.4Ghz Pentium 4 can beat it with a straight face. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was expecting to look down and see an overclocked opteron or something. not an athlon.. xp..

your average person doesn't know shit about pcs, and that's why marketing and buzzwords work so well. I wouldn't expect people to know much. where, unless they read sites like this or talk to people in the know (which doesn't make for a very exciting conversation), would they learn all the information?