New Wave of Motherboards Coming?

Zelus

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2006
With Conroe set to be anounced on the 6th, and ATI set to announce their RD600 in about 3 days, does it seem likely to anyone else that we're going to see a number of new motherboards announced as well?

With ATI set to start spouting off about RD600's ability for three PCIe x16 slots, with 2 slots running graphics and the last slot running physics, I'd expect we'd start seeing motherboards with 3 slots.

However, wouldn't this require new power supplies as well? I'm not sure exactly how the current 3x PCIe boards work. Forgive me for being noobish here, but I've only ever seen common PSUs with 2 PCIe connections. Not to mention the wattage that's going to require. Are people with getting server power supplies for these things?

One can only hope that Conroe and RD600 reduce heat as much as they've claimed, otherwise those 3 cards are going to catch fire. Thoughts?

TSIllusion

Distinguished
May 13, 2006
theres already a 3 pcix connecting psu, i forgot where ive seen it

but also, they can always have splitter that splits both into 3...

hopefully, things dont get outta hand, cause come on, what are they gonna come up next, this is gonna be so stupid

silentcoercion

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
Oh, in five years or so, we're going to be seeing rackmounted arrays of motherboards in the cabinet style equipment racks they've got for servers.

Except they'll have side windows and fans with leds. ooooh...

aBg_rOnGak

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Begin 2 wonder when will they hav 1U server wit those neon/uv lites,if got 4 x 1U blades, each wit diff colour, what will it looked like¿