HP DeskJet 340 Help needed

I'm trying to get a DeskJet 340 portable printer to work in Mac OS X
using a Keyspan Twin Serial Adapter. The printer is using the Macintosh
cable as described on the HP site
<http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=b
pm06005>.

This document seems to agree with the User's Guide as to the port
capabilities. The User's Guide shows the interface as:
I/O Interface
Centronics port with parallel, serial and serial infrared capability
IrDA-compliant (serial enabled when used with Mac
Adapter cable;Š

The printer is not working when using the standard DeskJet serial
settings of baud=57600, parity=none, bits=8, flow control=RTS/CTS. It
also does not work with the baud rate of 19200 which is the other
standard suggestion for Linux on PPC computers.

Any help or insight is greatly appreciated.

--
Matt Broughton
Only relatives are absolute.

In article <walterwego-DD7A21.20061415032005@corp.supernews.com>,
Matt Broughton <walterwego@macosx.com.invalid> wrote:

> I'm trying to get a DeskJet 340 portable printer to work in Mac OS X
> using a Keyspan Twin Serial Adapter. The printer is using the Macintosh
> cable as described on the HP site
> <http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=b
> pm06005>.
>
> This document seems to agree with the User's Guide as to the port
> capabilities. The User's Guide shows the interface as:
> I/O Interface
> Centronics port with parallel, serial and serial infrared capability
> IrDA-compliant (serial enabled when used with Mac
> Adapter cable;Š
>
> The printer is not working when using the standard DeskJet serial
> settings of baud=57600, parity=none, bits=8, flow control=RTS/CTS. It
> also does not work with the baud rate of 19200 which is the other
> standard suggestion for Linux on PPC computers.
>
> Any help or insight is greatly appreciated.

Problem solved. The "Printer Features" was set to normal and the
printer couldn't find the color cartridge as a black cartridge was
installed. Once printing was set to greyscale, the printer came to life
with the standard serial port settings.

--
Matt Broughton
Only relatives are absolute.

julian

In article <walterwego-43E122.10294416032005@corp.supernews.com>, Matt
Broughton <walterwego@macosx.com.invalid> wrote:

> In article <walterwego-DD7A21.20061415032005@corp.supernews.com>,
> Matt Broughton <walterwego@macosx.com.invalid> wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to get a DeskJet 340 portable printer to work in Mac OS X
> > using a Keyspan Twin Serial Adapter. The printer is using the Macintosh
> > cable as described on the HP site
> > <http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=b
> > pm06005>.
> >
> > This document seems to agree with the User's Guide as to the port
> > capabilities. The User's Guide shows the interface as:
> > I/O Interface
> > Centronics port with parallel, serial and serial infrared capability
> > IrDA-compliant (serial enabled when used with Mac
> > Adapter cable;Š
> >
> > The printer is not working when using the standard DeskJet serial
> > settings of baud=57600, parity=none, bits=8, flow control=RTS/CTS. It
> > also does not work with the baud rate of 19200 which is the other
> > standard suggestion for Linux on PPC computers.
> >
> > Any help or insight is greatly appreciated.
>
> Problem solved. The "Printer Features" was set to normal and the
> printer couldn't find the color cartridge as a black cartridge was
> installed. Once printing was set to greyscale, the printer came to life
> with the standard serial port settings.

Thanks Matt. You solved my problem!