Just went Dual Core...tips for optimization?

Oly

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2004
Hi folks, I just made the leap from Single to Dual Core. I decided to go with the AMD X2 4200+ and I was wondering if there are some steps I should take to make the most out of both cores? I think someone had mentioned a patch before to make them run more efficiently, but if you guys have any tips about how to get the most out of my new processor let me know!

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I did a quick search and came up with ziltch :( Well its a good question the only thing I can recomend on my own is X-Setup, I like this program for optimizing windows but be carefull with it :)

http://www.x-setup.net/

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Hi folks, I just made the leap from Single to Dual Core. I decided to go with the AMD X2 4200+ and I was wondering if there are some steps I should take to make the most out of both cores? I think someone had mentioned a patch before to make them run more efficiently, but if you guys have any tips about how to get the most out of my new processor let me know!

About the best thing you can do is to get at least 2GB RAM. Your computing experience will never be the same. Depending on your motherboard you may have automatic overclocking in the bios.

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002

Have you reinstalled your OS (I'll assume Windows XP) since you popped that X2 in there ? If not, you'll need to switch to the ACPI Multiprocessor HAL, Here's how

You will also need to apply some patches and hotfixes, Here's how

Taking those two steps will ensure that the OS will use both cores properly, if you want more performance, just overclock by yourself, don't thrust any crappy automatic overclocking or gimmicky "Windows Optimizers".

Sure, more RAM is nice but running more than two modules will kill your memory timings and ruin any overclocking potential.