  • Microsoft
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
August 25, 2005 3:19:49 PM

On many of my addon sceneries I have large grey rectangles standing in the
countryside, about 50 feet or more tall. I have then in New Zealand, in
Oregon, and in Golden Hawaii to name but a few. I think they are building
textures which are missing, at least when I deliberately bumped in to one,
the message came up Building crash!
I have already asked a number of people in forums and by email if they have
any idea which texures or agl files I might be missing, but so far I have
had no luck. In a last fling I ask you guys here for suggestions.

--
Sincerely,

Quilljar

More about : grey rectangles

August 25, 2005 3:19:50 PM

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 11:19:49 +0000 (UTC), "Quilljar"
<wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> brought the following to our
attention:

> On many of my addon sceneries I have large grey rectangles standing in the
>countryside, about 50 feet or more tall. I have then in New Zealand, in
>Oregon, and in Golden Hawaii to name but a few. I think they are building
>textures which are missing, at least when I deliberately bumped in to one,
>the message came up Building crash!

well stay the blazes away from em' then... :)

>I have already asked a number of people in forums and by email if they have
>any idea which texures or agl files I might be missing, but so far I have
>had no luck. In a last fling I ask you guys here for suggestions.

it sounds like a building texture is missing.. how could one catalog
all the textures and compare with current file count, names, and
dates?

The long way is to do new FS9 install and then a DIR > to some text
file.. and ZIP up all the original BMP in some ORG.zip file.

Another idea is to make PREVIEW jpg files with Convim.. a program from
the DXTBmp guy Martin. You can click on the whole lot of compressed
BMPs and conver to jpg in batch mode. Use a viewer to check them out.

I have a few textures that are bad.. like MIP problems and the wrong
intensity at night. A bad texture can CRASH the Sim. Merely brain-
storming here.

-Gregory
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 3:19:50 PM

> On many of my addon sceneries I have large grey rectangles standing in the
>countryside, about 50 feet or more tall. I have then in New Zealand, in
>Oregon, and in Golden Hawaii to name but a few. I think they are building
>textures which are missing, at least when I deliberately bumped in to one,
>the message came up Building crash!
>I have already asked a number of people in forums and by email if they have
>any idea which texures or agl files I might be missing, but so far I have
>had no luck. In a last fling I ask you guys here for suggestions.

You are missing some texture used in many add-ons, didn't you read
their installation text files? :-) Most used ones are Gerrish trees,
NOVA, Airport or even ASD, they are all on flightsim.com, essential
files and other libraries...

===
All the best!
Katy Pluta
August 25, 2005 5:00:18 PM

Hi Quilljar,
We met before in diff forums and still no solution. I have the same, I add
Afganistan (Kabul) to the list. If you ever get an answer please let me
know. I will do the same for you.

Wim Dijkgraaf
Belgium

"Quilljar" <wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> schreef in bericht
news:D ek9gl$pr$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> On many of my addon sceneries I have large grey rectangles standing in the
> countryside, about 50 feet or more tall. I have then in New Zealand, in
> Oregon, and in Golden Hawaii to name but a few. I think they are building
> textures which are missing, at least when I deliberately bumped in to one,
> the message came up Building crash!
> I have already asked a number of people in forums and by email if they
> have any idea which texures or agl files I might be missing, but so far I
> have had no luck. In a last fling I ask you guys here for suggestions.
>
> --
> Sincerely,
>
> Quilljar

Anonymous
August 25, 2005 8:12:10 PM

Katy Pluta wrote:

> You are missing some texture used in many add-ons, didn't you read
> their installation text files? :-) Most used ones are Gerrish trees,
> NOVA, Airport or even ASD, they are all on flightsim.com, essential
> files and other libraries...

Yes Katy, I read all my add-on text files like a very very good boy and that
is why I am so perplexed. Over time I have downloaded and added Nova, nova
gold,Gerrish trees, ASD and the rest. I try only to come to this Ng when
self -help has failed me!

I will try Henks' suggestion too many thanks.

--
Sincerely Quilljar

'Fly Navy, sail Air Force and shoot Pongoes'
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 8:56:33 PM

> On many of my addon sceneries I have large grey rectangles standing in the
> countryside, about 50 feet or more tall.

Some add-on sceneries expect that you also have installed the separate trees
texture files. If I am not mistaken the file needed is "trees_v3.zip",
available at avsim.com.
If these textures are not installed you will see gray rectangles instead.
Perhaps that is your problem.

Henk
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 9:52:16 PM

> I will try Henks' suggestion too many thanks.

Hmmm ...I re-installed trees304.zip which is the FS2004 equivalent of Henks
file, but the grey rectangles are still there even in the latest addon. I
guess I will just have to live with it.

--
Sincerely Quilljar

'Fly Navy, sail Air Force and shoot Pongoes'
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 9:52:17 PM

>Hmmm ...I re-installed trees304.zip which is the FS2004 equivalent of Henks
>file, but the grey rectangles are still there even in the latest addon. I
>guess I will just have to live with it.

No, if there is no mention of any missing textures in the add-on files
you perused it might be either an author forgetting about it or even a
corrupt texture... Is your list of add-ons a long one?

===
All the best!
Katy Pluta
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 2:00:19 AM

Katy Pluta wrote:
>> Hmmm ...I re-installed trees304.zip which is the FS2004 equivalent
>> of Henks file, but the grey rectangles are still there even in the
>> latest addon. I guess I will just have to live with it.
>
> No, if there is no mention of any missing textures in the add-on files
> you perused it might be either an author forgetting about it or even a
> corrupt texture... Is your list of add-ons a long one?

I don't know Katy, I stopped counting at 110 scenery addons, but I am sure
there are many more hidden in other scenery files. They seem to work Ok
except for this problem. I suppose I am a bit of a scenery freak due to
'quilling' I expect.

--
Sincerely Quilljar

'Fly Navy, sail Air Force and shoot Pongoes'
August 26, 2005 2:21:36 AM

"Quilljar"
> I don't know Katy, I stopped counting at 110 scenery addons

I wonder if turning them all off, then testing to see if you still had the
problem would help?

If the problem went away, you could find the culprit by adding them back in
10 at a time.

Danger Puppy
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 3:12:57 AM

Dallas wrote:
> "Quilljar"
>> I don't know Katy, I stopped counting at 110 scenery addons
>
> I wonder if turning them all off, then testing to see if you still
> had the problem would help?
>
> If the problem went away, you could find the culprit by adding them
> back in 10 at a time.
>
> Danger Puppy

You clever liddle ole scientist you :-)
Shortwinded too!