Yet another cpu temp question

Pandora

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2004
I have Pentium-D 3.00ghz 930 with an Intel Desktop Board D945PSNLK Sandusky, using Thermal Take Big Typhoon fan in a Thermal Take Soprano case with two 1200mm fans, one in front one back.
The temps im getting are around 50-53c at idle (47c if side door is open)
and goes up to 58-60c at full load.
The hottest thing in the case just from touching is actually the video card which is Gigabyte X800XL 512mb but im not sure how hight it goes on temps.
After reading alot of different opinions on this forum about temps im really not sure what to think about mine, thats why decided to ask if those r normal temps or do i have a reason to worry.
Maybe i should also mention the room temp is around 25c and its going to get even hotter pretty soon now that the summer is getting closer.

Thanks for your help
Marti

zarooch

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
For a Intel Pentium D 930 processor a temperature of 63.4c should be maximum... and according to your readings you are under it at full load... so processor temp is fine... don't know about your video card...

sluhkid720

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
That CPU shouldnt be running that hot. I have a northwood core P4 and it runs well below the maxmimum allowed temp. make sure the heatsink is properly seated but it sounds like you dont have enough airflow. Make sure air can freely move through your case. If you have a spare case fan around put it in and see if it helps. If it does rearrange things(ribbon cables, wires) to allow the air to move unobstructed through your system.

pat

Expert
That CPU shouldnt be running that hot. I have a northwood core P4 and it runs well below the maxmimum allowed temp. make sure the heatsink is properly seated but it sounds like you dont have enough airflow. Make sure air can freely move through your case. If you have a spare case fan around put it in and see if it helps. If it does rearrange things(ribbon cables, wires) to allow the air to move unobstructed through your system.

Yeah... northwood vd Prescott... You don't know nothing about Intel CPU that replaced the Northwood serie don't you?

Pandora

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2004

Yeah... northwood vd Prescott... You don't know nothing about Intel CPU that replaced the Northwood serie don't you?

Hmmm how should i take that as an answer? Does that mean those are normal temps.. or..?!

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006

Hmmm how should i take that as an answer? Does that mean those are normal temps.. or..?!

All I can say is your below the max temp. But since you mention that your room will get hotter/warmer, that may cause, depending on how your bios is setup, to back throttle or shut off when it hits a temp that is above the safe guard.

Only thing I can advise, is to double check everything. Feel around for warm spots with your hand without touching anything to see if hot air is not being moved around, to see if there is a possible recycling of that hot air that gets to your hsf. Just try ways to get air moving to benefit the cooling it can provide.

JumpingJack does have a point with GPUs. My linux PC, I ended up modding some, by adding a fan, and used cardboard to duct hot air away from CPU, right off the video card. I felt hot air just lingering above my video card, and the HSF for the CPU was recirculating hot air from my old G-force 2 card. Once I found a way to duct hot air away, idle temps dropped from 51c to 47c with the side case on.

Batspoon

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006

Actually the Pentium D 930 has two 65nm Cedar Mill based Presler cores. You're right btw, they run hotter than the northwoods.

And yes, the temps seems ok for now, with that room temp.

sluhkid720

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
No i really dont know a whole lot about the Intel chips after northwood but I have friends with them and i know theirs dont get that hot(ill double check though)

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Depending on what you use for HSF, and northwood will run cooler at stock speeds.

However, I believe a northwood will get as hot as a prescott when you OC them at least 10 percent, from my point of view.

I know my Northwood OC to 3.0ghz does raise the temp quite abit on stock HSF.

Actually, for my P4, a stable OC is at 2.960 Ghz. On stock cooling, the temps I had with AS5 (dot method) I still reached 63-65C (100 Percent CPU usage) depending on how warm my room was.

The Zalman 7700 has cut it down to 49C-52C (room temp around 70-72F).

Stock speed (2.66@vcore 1.55) however are cooler/lower. 38C idle 47C 100pct usage (on my Zalman). On Stock HSF, if memory serves, was idle 40-41C with room temp 70-72F.

Pandora

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2004
Thanks alot to all your answers. I think you calmed me with what you all say here and for now ill leave it like that and hopefully get A/C for the room soon.
Did try to move things around abit in the case, but i dont think it made alot of change coz most of the wires werent in the way to begin with. The air flow seems pretty fine to me.

So again thanks,
Marti 8)

kali_guyz

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2006
that is kinda high for my taste.....mine 930 oc to 3.8ghz idle around 35-37C n 48-50C when cpu load over 95%....room temp is around 26-27C.....i'm using as5 on the heatsink thou.....n using antec p180 case...

TRENDING THREADS