What do you think about this computer?

BlueFrisky

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2006
Intel Pentium D 930 3Ghz Dual Core Socket 775 4MB(2x2MB) Cache 800MHz FSB Processor

NEC ND-3550 (Black) 16x DVD+/-R 8x DVD+RW 6x DVD-RW Writer 4x DVD-R/8x DVD+R Double Layer (OEM)

Zalman CNPS9500-Cu-LED Heatsink with 92mm Ultra Quiet Fan

Western Digital Caviar SATA II (WD2500KS) 250GB 7200RPM 16MB Buffer (OEM)

OCZ PC2-6400 DDR2-800 Platinum XTC 2GB (2x1024MB) Dual Channel Kit

DFI Lanparty 925X-T2 Socket 775/T Intel 925X Chipset DDR2 w/Dual GB Lan,8-Ch audio,Serial ATA Raid

Antec TruePower 2.0 TPII-480 Power supply ATX12V 2.01 480 Watt * Support PCI-Express, SATA

XFX GeForce 7900 GTX(665MHz) 512MB GDDR3(1.63 GHz) 2 Dual Link DVI-I, HDTV-Out SLI Ready PCI-Express x16 Graphics Card

Thermaltake Matrix VD2000BNS Aluminum Mid Tower (Black/Silver) w/ Window

Regarding the CPU.. I intend to OC it at least to 3.8Ghz... That's why I bought such a good fan.. Do I need any more cooling?

The total price is something like $1780 CAD, all parts and prices were taken from www.canadacomputers.com , if you can go there and find anything better for the price I will be thankful.. :D

gahleon

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Personally I would wait right now unless you are able of upgrading that processor. Conroe will be out soon and it will be much better aparently. I'm all for AMD right at this point in time, however, we will see when conroe comes out cause I might be an intel guy if they can get their shit together and not charge rediculous prices. Other than that man the computer looks nice. Dual cores pwn!

BlueFrisky

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2006
When are those new processors supposed to come out?

If they're gonna be expensive then I think I'll stick with the 930 because there might be a price drop.

By the way, I intend to buy my computer only on June 26. By then the prices of the 7900gtx might drop too thanks to the new 7950.

nick_000000

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
Good overall system two things that you should think about:

1. You have a very powerful graphics card there and genrally you need a very powerful power supply to go with it I suggest this one.

2. Your processor runs at a 800Mhz FSB to take full advantage of that you should buy the same speed memory like this.

Apart from those your system looks fine :wink:.

BlueFrisky

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2006
Thank you so much. I didn't know these things.

Anyway, how can the OCZ PC2-6400 DDR2 cost less than the OCZ PC2-5400 DDR2? It doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

nick_000000

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
Thank you so much. I didn't know these things.

Anyway, how can the OCZ PC2-6400 DDR2 cost less than the OCZ PC2-5400 DDR2? It doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Not sure but the stuff on that site doesn't look that up to date they seem to have a lot of old stock.

linux_0

Splendid
Intel Pentium D 930 3Ghz Dual Core Socket 775 4MB(2x2MB) Cache 800MHz FSB Processor

NEC ND-3550 (Black) 16x DVD+/-R 8x DVD+RW 6x DVD-RW Writer 4x DVD-R/8x DVD+R Double Layer (OEM)

Zalman CNPS9500-Cu-LED Heatsink with 92mm Ultra Quiet Fan

Western Digital Caviar SATA II (WD2500KS) 250GB 7200RPM 16MB Buffer (OEM)

OCZ PC2-6400 DDR2-800 Platinum XTC 2GB (2x1024MB) Dual Channel Kit

DFI Lanparty 925X-T2 Socket 775/T Intel 925X Chipset DDR2 w/Dual GB Lan,8-Ch audio,Serial ATA Raid

Antec TruePower 2.0 TPII-480 Power supply ATX12V 2.01 480 Watt * Support PCI-Express, SATA

XFX GeForce 7900 GTX(665MHz) 512MB GDDR3(1.63 GHz) 2 Dual Link DVI-I, HDTV-Out SLI Ready PCI-Express x16 Graphics Card

Thermaltake Matrix VD2000BNS Aluminum Mid Tower (Black/Silver) w/ Window

Regarding the CPU.. I intend to OC it at least to 3.8Ghz... That's why I bought such a good fan.. Do I need any more cooling?

The total price is something like $1780 CAD, all parts and prices were taken from www.canadacomputers.com , if you can go there and find anything better for the price I will be thankful.. :D

The DVD, HSF, RAM, GPU, PSU and Case are great! :-D

I give your config 2 big thumbs up :-D except for the CPU and motherboard.

DFI is good but the 925 chipset is not that great.

If you have to go Intel at least look into a 975XBX which will hopefully support con-roe[TM]. Another option is to consider AMD.

Good Luck :-D

Kholonar

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
Your system is very good but as the guy above said, you should go with a 975x chipset. Sadly, these are very expensive. THG did a recent article on some of these boards:

http://tomshardware.co.uk/2006/05/22/six_975x_enthusiast_motherboards_for_today_and_tomorrow_uk/

In regards to your ram, I'd say stick with what you've got (faster ram is extremely expensive). The reason why he suggested faster ram is you might have to use a divider to keep your ddr800 ram running at that speed as you raise the cpu speed. It's always desirable to raise ram and cpu together when you overclock to get more direct gains for each MHz frontside bus rise.

I use corsair ram, others swear by ocz and nothing else. It seems to me that as long as the ram you buy is at good timings, runs at fast speeds and has a good return policy you'll be fine. In fact, many enthusiasts say that ram shouldn't be bought purely based on brand.

BlueFrisky

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2006
I might even wait and buy a conroe instead of the D 930. I know it will cost more, but from what I've seen so far, it's looking tight. If it won't be as good as I hoped then I will buy the 930 at the possible lower price that will be set when the conroe comes out, so I have nothing to lose if I decide to wait a few more weeks or so.

I'm in no hurry, I have a semi-decent computer. Pentium 4, 2.8GHz, 512MB ram, GeForce 6800, 250GB HD. I think I'll be able to survive by then.

I hope I'm making the right choice :roll:

linux_0

Splendid
More like 2-3 months.

Today = June 05 / Conroe = July 23 - how is this 2-3 months; are you just considering the amont of time for distribution?

July 23 is still probably just a paper launch, it could take quite some time to build up stock and to fix all the bugs.

linux_0

Splendid
Fair point but I still am hoping they stick to it I want one now :cry:.

If you want something now, get a Quad Core Opty ;-) :-D

Seriously you can get a Dual Single Core Opty for about $1000 and Dual Dual Core Optys ( 4 cores ) for about $1500 that's about the same as you would pay for a gaming rig anyway :-D

I have built several of them!

Live long and prosper :-D

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006

Seriously you can get a Dual Single Core Opty for about $1000 and Dual Dual Core Optys ( 4 cores ) for about $1500 that's about the same as you would pay for a gaming rig anyway :-D

$1500 just for CPUs? That's more than my whole system cost!

linux_0

Splendid

$1500 just for CPUs? That's more than my whole system cost!

:-D

Negative that's for the whole system.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
corsair and ocz in my opinion, I just had a set of kingston hyperx fail, never had corsiar or ocz fail.

Have you checked the cpu charts on toms with that proc, compared to other amd's, oc'ing the intel won't help for some stuff, and the difference in performance may not be worth the extra cost of intel. Megahertz aren't everything after all....

BlueFrisky

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2006
That's not considered extra cost. It costs less than the 3800 X2 and I think it can outperform it if overclocked nicely :)

Anyway, even though it's hard for me I think I will wait until late July - early August to see where's this whole thing really going and if it's even worth it.

Till then I'll just play soccer and go biking. So oldschool :)

linux_0

Splendid
corsair and ocz in my opinion, I just had a set of kingston hyperx fail, never had corsiar or ocz fail.

Have you checked the cpu charts on toms with that proc, compared to other amd's, oc'ing the intel won't help for some stuff, and the difference in performance may not be worth the extra cost of intel. Megahertz aren't everything after all....

I had 2x1GB OCZ gold stix that had a ton of errors a couple of years ago :-(

Even had Corsair XMS fail.

However I still recommend Corsair, OCZ, Crucial in that order.

They all fail at some point, it's just that Corsair XMS tends to fail a lot less frequently.

:-D