Installing new Sata HD need help :(!!

needhelpnoobie

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
I have an ECS 648fx-A2 motherboard and I'm trying to install a 160GB Seagate Sata HD. I'm trying to install Windows XP SP2 on the drive.

I plugged everything in the PC boots up into BIOS and all of that. I put the XP install disc in and booted from CD to install WINXP. It loads all driver files and stuff and gets to the screen about partitions. I push enter to install XP it goes to the NFTS quick or normal format, I picked quick first and it formats the drive just fine and loads more files. Then it reboots for the first time, the WIN XP loading screen with the bar pops up but it never goes back into setup. On the Win XP is loading screen a blue screen pops up and says if you experience this error again do scndsk /f (Dont know how).

Is this a regular problem? I don't know what to do, I've tried reinstalling I always get the same outcome.

My HD didn't come with any drivers CD just cables and no manual. MY motherboard has a CD with some stuff on it about raid, but I'm not sure if I need any of that? I'm assumminig if it detects the drive, and lets me format the drive that the drivers for the HD are infact loaded and not causing this problem?

Anywaylet me know what you think I'm lost and it's getting pretty aggrivating, I do not want to install my old IDE hard drive.

kitchenshark

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
It may be a problem with not doing a full format first.

Yes, if XP detected the drive, then the drivers should be loaded for using the SATA drive.

There could be other issues, but that's the first that comes to my mind.

needhelpnoobie

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
My first install attempt I chose "quick" format and that didn't work, on my second install attempt I chose the regular NFTS format. After it finished formatting (took about 10 mins longer than quick) it loaded the same files/drivers rebooted, the Win XP load screen popped up and the same blue screen came up during the load screen..

If what I just described isn't a full format, how do I do it?

kitchenshark

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
I would agree with Pain. Definitely check for bad memory and other hardware. MemTest86 is a very good utility in my opinion.

I just barely had the same problems you are, turned out bad memory for me.

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
That is a full format. If it didn't do anything, then that's not the answer.

Did a SATA driver disk come with your drive or motherboard? If so, stick it in your floppy drive (if you don't have one, get one). When the WinXP installer loads drivers for everything during the initial process and asks if you have any RAID drivers, press F6 (I think that's the key, it'll tell you during the installation) and the *correct* drivers will be loaded onto the drive.

If you don't have a floppy drive, but you have a CD burner, slipstream the drivers onto the WinXP CD. Put the WinXP CD in your drive and copy the CDs files into a directory on your CD drive. Next, download the driver files from either the HDD's manufacturer or the motherboard manufacturer and put those files into the "Drivers" directory in the WinXP install files. Next, burn the new, improved, SLIPSTREAMED Windows XP files onto a blank disc and try to reinstall Windows. It should detect the hard drive automatically, and work.

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
It would help if you posted a link to your motherboard's homepage so people can see what SATA controllers it uses.

Some controllers are locked in RAID mode and require you to create a single drive array for raid drives.

Others let you turn RAID on and off, or on and off for selected channels.

Some controllers require that you press F6 and load the correct drivers for the controller (HD's don't have drivers) when prompted durring XP setup.

If you have a working OS on an IDE drive it might be a good idea to first try to add the SATA drive as a non-booting drive for test purposes.

Speaking of tests, Memtest86, Nero CD/DVD speed (to see if you install CD has any uncorrectable read errors, Prime 95, HD Manufacturers extended test ....

I run a full battery of tests on a new build before I even think about installing an OS. I also test new hard drives/RAM as they are purchased.

Also a little googling to see if your motherboard has any compatibility issues.

needhelpnoobie

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
Link to mobo:

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Products/ProductsDetail.aspx?MenuID=22&LanID=9&DetailID=426&DetailName=Specification

I found an old floppy drive and installed it. I do not know what driver(s) I need from the motherboard disc, I see raid drivers for download on that link I posted above but the file is over 7mb's. What files would I need to pull from it and put on the floppy drive?

OR if thats not how I need to get this to work, what else should I try?

I do not have an IDE installed with an OS on it. I formatted and removed that drive.

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
You'll need what ever files are in the root directory for the SATA drivers, and then you'll need the XP directory inside that root directory. There will be one or 2 files in the root directory [I forget what they look like, but they are small and just hold the information about the driver] and then just the directory that matches your OS, in this case, XP.