Dual channel with dissimilar pairs

stealthywolf

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2006
This scenario may be a bit difficult to answer unless someone has done it before... I currently have a Asus a8v Deluxe motherboard running on an Athlon 64 3400+ with 2x512mb PC2100 installed in dual channel configuration. I intend on buying and installing another 2x512mb PC3200 in the near future.

The first question is: if I were to install the newer PC3200 as a pair in dual channel configuration (to fill the total of 4 slots), would the machine still be able to operate in dual channel even though the other pair consists of 2 PC2100s?

I'm assuming all 4 memory modules would operate at 266MHz due to the bottleneck..

The second question is: does the benefit of more RAM outweigh the benefit of RAM speed?
My rig is mostly for high performance gaming, but I am unsure which sacrifice I should make as far as performance is concerned. I have two choices really... either use all 4 sticks and operate at 266MHz with 2GB of RAM, or use only the newer 2 sticks and operate at 400MHz with 1GB of RAM.
What do you think?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The first pair has to be two matched sticks. The second pair has to be two matched sticks. The second pair does not have to match the first, but the entire memory system will have to operate at the speed of the slowest pair, PC2100 speed.

I don't know which is slower, 1GB of PC3200 or 2GB of PC2100, try it both ways and find out?

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
This scenario may be a bit difficult to answer unless someone has done it before... I currently have a Asus a8v Deluxe motherboard running on an Athlon 64 3400+ with 2x512mb PC2100 installed in dual channel configuration. I intend on buying and installing another 2x512mb PC3200 in the near future.

The first question is: if I were to install the newer PC3200 as a pair in dual channel configuration (to fill the total of 4 slots), would the machine still be able to operate in dual channel even though the other pair consists of 2 PC2100s?

I'm assuming all 4 memory modules would operate at 266MHz due to the bottleneck..

The second question is: does the benefit of more RAM outweigh the benefit of RAM speed?
My rig is mostly for high performance gaming, but I am unsure which sacrifice I should make as far as performance is concerned. I have two choices really... either use all 4 sticks and operate at 266MHz with 2GB of RAM, or use only the newer 2 sticks and operate at 400MHz with 1GB of RAM.
What do you think?

I would go with the 1GB of PC3200. Having all 4 DIMMs filled will force

your RAM to operate at 2T command rate, which really will really degrade

the performance. Running 2T, along with 266MHz will not make for good

performance. Either buy and run JUST the 2x512 3200, or buy 2x1GB, if

you can swing it, and want 2GB. If you are really serious about your

gaming performance, then you may as well "Bite the bullet" now, and get

2GB, as more and more games are and will take advantage of the extra

RAM. GL :)

TRENDING THREADS