Define "quilling"

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

I waste/spend/invest far too much time on this forum, but somewhere I
missed the definition of "quilling." Is this aimful meandering, of the
"Not all who wander are lost" variety? I am assuming it has something
to do with Quilljar (which, by the way, is probably the best handle I
have ever seen on any forum anywhere).

_________________________________________________________
Posted via the -Web to Usenet- forums at http://forums.simradar.com
Visit www.simradar.com and try our Flight Simulation Search Engine!
21 answers Last reply
More about define quilling
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 10:01:12 -0500, David Wilson-Okamura <David
    Wilson-Okamura@forums.simradar.com> brought the following to our
    attention:

    >I waste/spend/invest far too much time on this forum, but somewhere I
    >missed the definition of "quilling." Is this aimful meandering, of the
    >"Not all who wander are lost" variety? I am assuming it has something
    >to do with Quilljar (which, by the way, is probably the best handle I
    >have ever seen on any forum anywhere).
    >

    What a great question (and funny). First off.. I never flew a damn
    plane in my life.. except for a T37 ride that is. FS makes nearly the
    whole `flight science' experience possible on a shoe-string budget.

    As for Jetliner Quilling.. it means taking off with only a slight idea
    of what direction one is going to head. It means no flight plan.. no
    use or Radio Nav.. and not yet even a decision on a landing strip.

    But in a Boeing jet Sim.. especially a lightly loaded Super 27 Cargo..
    one can punch through the clouds in a less than a minute.. and then
    what?? I think you'd at least need to contact ATC.. or tune the Nav
    radio? both Nav radios? hmm?

    The worst that could happen.. is becoming mischievous, terrorizing the
    scenery (stunts), and even crashing on purpose!! but if QuillSa wants
    to Quill around.. then fine.. it's his Sim. :-)


    -Gregory
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    David Wilson-Okamura wrote:
    > I waste/spend/invest far too much time on this forum, but somewhere I
    > missed the definition of "quilling." Is this aimful meandering, of the
    > "Not all who wander are lost" variety? I am assuming it has something
    > to do with Quilljar (which, by the way, is probably the best handle I
    > have ever seen on any forum anywhere).

    Hi David,
    Thanks for the compliment!
    Yes 'Quilling' seems to have caught on in this NG. It stems from a time when
    I put forward the argument that the sim need not be taken too seriously,
    unless you want to of course. I described what I like doing best which is
    taking up various GA aircraft (recently enhanced by the latest and wonderful
    1920s-30s aircraft by the Lyons family) and flying around various parts of
    the world to look at the scenery and so on, including a lot of aerobatics. I
    do a great deal of slewing to get to where I want and frequently use the
    'move aircraft' option in FSNav. I never file a flight plan and only turn on
    the ATC when I want to get annoyed... In effect, I suppose it means a
    light-hearted unplanned attitude to flying which is exactly what I do IRL.
    In the UK, it is still perfectly possible to fly VFR below the airways
    without filing a flight plan and without calling the ATC. I daresay it all
    stems from my Navy flying during the cold war when we had to keep radio
    silence as much as possible, because of the Soviet 'trawlers' listening in,
    and to call ATC would have been to put the position of our carrier at risk.


    Sincerely Quilljar

    'Fly Navy, sail Air Force and shoot Pongoes'
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    David, I asked Quilljar that very same question a few months ago.

    Tell me Quilly you say its possible to fly VFR below the airways without
    filing a flight plan. This I understand but isn't there a point when other
    traffic must descend from the airway onto an approach to touchdown? Do
    these flightpaths not create a new 'airway' that should be avoided when
    flying VFR. If in reality your not in contact with ATC how can you be sure
    a Boeing isn't going to descend through the clouds and land on your little
    head. I'm sure every aircraft doesn't have a certified TCAS system
    installed and there must be some blind spots on both aircraft when assending
    or descending. Its something I have always wondered if anyone can advise.

    Ibby

    "David Wilson-Okamura" <David Wilson-Okamura@forums.simradar.com> wrote in
    message news:1124982006.3439@forums.simradar.com...
    >I waste/spend/invest far too much time on this forum, but somewhere I
    > missed the definition of "quilling." Is this aimful meandering, of the
    > "Not all who wander are lost" variety? I am assuming it has something
    > to do with Quilljar (which, by the way, is probably the best handle I
    > have ever seen on any forum anywhere).
    >
    > _________________________________________________________
    > Posted via the -Web to Usenet- forums at http://forums.simradar.com
    > Visit www.simradar.com and try our Flight Simulation Search Engine!
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    Ibby (The Artist Formerly Known as Chris) wrote:
    > David, I asked Quilljar that very same question a few months ago.
    >
    > Tell me Quilly you say its possible to fly VFR below the airways
    > without filing a flight plan. This I understand but isn't there a
    > point when other traffic must descend from the airway onto an
    > approach to touchdown? Do these flightpaths not create a new
    > 'airway' that should be avoided when flying VFR. If in reality your
    > not in contact with ATC how can you be sure a Boeing isn't going to
    > descend through the clouds and land on your little head. I'm sure
    > every aircraft doesn't have a certified TCAS system installed and
    > there must be some blind spots on both aircraft when assending or
    > descending. Its something I have always wondered if anyone can
    > advise.

    In the sim, obviously you can do whatever you like, so I assume you are
    asking about real life. IRL the big jets fly the airways and land at certain
    designated airports. They are like trains on railway lines. If you fly a
    small GA aircraft, even one without radio, and they still exist, then you
    stay below the airways and you keep well clear of Jet and military airports.
    Outside the airways, is what is called 'free airspace' and it is up to those
    flying in it to keep their eyes open for other traffic. Its a big world out
    there, and apart from the occasional low flying helicopter, I have seldom
    seen many other aircraft.
    Useful rules like keeping to the right along rivers and motorways help to
    avoid head on collisions, and one usually keeps to the direction and height
    rules. I wd have to remind myself of them ATM :-)
    Even in little UK there seems to be plenty of countryside and space to play.
    In fact I have been most relieved to find that far from being concreted
    over, it is still quite difficult to find a town in the south of England!

    >
    Sincerely Quilljar

    'Fly Navy, sail Air Force and shoot Pongoes'
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    "Keep to the right"??? Hey, I thought you guys drove on the left?? Hmmm,
    maybe learning something from us Yanks. <LOL>

    To reminisce a little I remember flying Birddogs (L-19s) from Ft Devens Mass
    to Staten Island (Miller AAF) back in the early 60s (60-62). Flying down the
    Hudson River, pass the Statue of Liberty, we always flew on the right (west)
    side of the river--lots of helicopters even back then to watch out for.
    Going back north, we did the same thing flying the east side. Kept us below
    JFK and LGA traffic. I always loved flying past the Statue and waving at the
    tourists in the Torch of the Statue. Of course sometimes they were ABOVE me.
    Purely by accident of course. :-))

    Cheers, :-)
    Paul


    "Quilljar" <wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    news:del0bg$n4h$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
    > In the sim, obviously you can do whatever you like, so I assume you are
    > asking about real life. IRL the big jets fly the airways and land at
    > certain designated airports. They are like trains on railway lines. If you
    > fly a small GA aircraft, even one without radio, and they still exist,
    > then you stay below the airways and you keep well clear of Jet and
    > military airports.
    > Outside the airways, is what is called 'free airspace' and it is up to
    > those flying in it to keep their eyes open for other traffic. Its a big
    > world out there, and apart from the occasional low flying helicopter, I
    > have seldom seen many other aircraft.
    > Useful rules like keeping to the right along rivers and motorways help to
    > avoid head on collisions, and one usually keeps to the direction and
    > height rules. I wd have to remind myself of them ATM :-)
    > Even in little UK there seems to be plenty of countryside and space to
    > play. In fact I have been most relieved to find that far from being
    > concreted over, it is still quite difficult to find a town in the south of
    > England!
    >
    >>
    > Sincerely Quilljar
    >
    > 'Fly Navy, sail Air Force and shoot Pongoes'
    >
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    "David Wilson-Okamura"
    >Quilljar (which, by the way, is probably the best handle I
    > have ever seen on any forum anywhere).

    Funny story... when I first ran across "Quilljar" I just assumed it was a
    Spanish name, pronounced: "Keel-har"

    I ran it through translators and got no hits. Imagine my surprise when I
    found that Quilljar was just a Brit. ;-p

    Dallas
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    "Quilljar"
    > and to call ATC would have been to put the position of our carrier at
    risk.

    Thank you for that long winded explanation.
    <g>

    I believe the official archival definition is:

    Quilling - verb. To muck about aimlessly without a flight plan or Navaids.


    Dallas
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    Dallas wrote:
    > "Quilljar"
    >> and to call ATC would have been to put the position of our carrier
    >> at risk.
    >
    > Thank you for that long winded explanation.
    > <g>
    >
    > I believe the official archival definition is:
    >
    > Quilling - verb. To muck about aimlessly without a flight plan or
    > Navaids.
    >
    >

    I think Navaids are permissable, but being cued by ATC isn't, and having
    someone have the audacity to even suggest what runway you should use, or
    when to use it, is inexcusable.....
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    "CRaSH"
    > I think Navaids are permissable, but being cued by ATC isn't, and having
    > someone have the audacity to even suggest what runway you should use, or
    > when to use it, is inexcusable.....

    Hear, hear! Motion to amend the definition of Quilly... I second the
    motion... Do we have a third?


    Dallas
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    "Quilljar" <wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    news:del0bg$n4h$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
    > Even in little UK there seems to be plenty of countryside and space to
    play.
    > In fact I have been most relieved to find that far from being concreted
    > over, it is still quite difficult to find a town in the south of England!

    I did a couple of microlight lessons recently in Oxfordshire and I agree. I
    was actually quite shocked to discover how sparse I found the area I thought
    I knew so well to be. I start my helicopter PPL at Oxford in a week or so
    and I'm looking forward to getting lost!

    Si
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    "Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
    news:LdpPe.2171$z2.443@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
    > I ran it through translators and got no hits. Imagine my surprise when I
    > found that Quilljar was just a Brit. ;-p

    What do you mean, *just*?? ;0))

    Iain
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    Iain Smith wrote:
    > "Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
    > news:LdpPe.2171$z2.443@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
    >> I ran it through translators and got no hits. Imagine my surprise
    >> when I found that Quilljar was just a Brit. ;-p
    >
    > What do you mean, *just*?? ;0))
    >

    gawwwddd, that took a long time comin............
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    Quilljar wrote:


    >
    > Useful rules like keeping to the *right* along rivers and motorways help to
    > avoid head on collisions, and one usually keeps to the direction and height
    > rules. I wd have to remind myself of them ATM :-)
    > Even in little UK there seems to be plenty of countryside and space to play.
    > In fact I have been most relieved to find that far from being concreted
    > over, it is still quite difficult to find a town in the south of England!
    >
    >
    > Sincerely Quilljar

    Does the UK and South Africa fly on the left of the roads, railroads and
    rivers?

    --

    boB,
    SAG 70

    U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
    Central Texas - 5NM West of Gray Army Airfield (KGRK)
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    Simon Robbins wrote:

    >
    >
    > I did a couple of microlight lessons recently in Oxfordshire and I agree. I
    > was actually quite shocked to discover how sparse I found the area I thought
    > I knew so well to be. I start my helicopter PPL at Oxford in a week or so
    > and I'm looking forward to getting lost!
    >
    > Si

    Man-o-Man!!!!! That is great. We want daily reports on your RL flying.
    I'm sure we all will be looking forward to them. As you can see, I'm
    excited for you. You are in for the time of your life and you will
    never forget your helicopter training for the rest of your life.
    Especially the autorotations. Once I got the student past the rote
    stage and he/she realized an autorotation is nothing more that *flying*
    the aircraft on an approach to a suitable landing area, even in the
    trees if need be. After that it's all downhill.

    --

    boB,
    SAG 70

    U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
    Central Texas - 5NM West of Gray Army Airfield (KGRK)
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    Dallas wrote:

    > Hear, hear! Motion to amend the definition of Quilly... I second the
    > motion... Do we have a third?

    I third it, so it's hearby officially added to the English language.


    Marcel
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    "Keep to the right"???
    I read once that it dates back to the first commercial midair in 1922.
    Two scheduled airplanes took off at about the same time, one flew London
    to Paris and the other was flying the reverse. The visibility was poor
    over France and they were each flying low and each concentrating on
    closely following the main Paris-Calais railway line. They met headon
    with no survivors.
    Regards.

    Paul Riley wrote:
    > "Keep to the right"??? Hey, I thought you guys drove on the left?? Hmmm,
    > maybe learning something from us Yanks. <LOL>
    >
    > To reminisce a little I remember flying Birddogs (L-19s) from Ft Devens Mass
    > to Staten Island (Miller AAF) back in the early 60s (60-62). Flying down the
    > Hudson River, pass the Statue of Liberty, we always flew on the right (west)
    > side of the river--lots of helicopters even back then to watch out for.
    > Going back north, we did the same thing flying the east side. Kept us below
    > JFK and LGA traffic. I always loved flying past the Statue and waving at the
    > tourists in the Torch of the Statue. Of course sometimes they were ABOVE me.
    > Purely by accident of course. :-))
    >
    > Cheers, :-)
    > Paul
    >
    >
    > "Quilljar" <wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > news:del0bg$n4h$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
    >
    >>In the sim, obviously you can do whatever you like, so I assume you are
    >>asking about real life. IRL the big jets fly the airways and land at
    >>certain designated airports. They are like trains on railway lines. If you
    >>fly a small GA aircraft, even one without radio, and they still exist,
    >>then you stay below the airways and you keep well clear of Jet and
    >>military airports.
    >>Outside the airways, is what is called 'free airspace' and it is up to
    >>those flying in it to keep their eyes open for other traffic. Its a big
    >>world out there, and apart from the occasional low flying helicopter, I
    >>have seldom seen many other aircraft.
    >>Useful rules like keeping to the right along rivers and motorways help to
    >>avoid head on collisions, and one usually keeps to the direction and
    >>height rules. I wd have to remind myself of them ATM :-)
    >>Even in little UK there seems to be plenty of countryside and space to
    >>play. In fact I have been most relieved to find that far from being
    >>concreted over, it is still quite difficult to find a town in the south of
    >>England!
    >>
    >>
    >>Sincerely Quilljar
    >>
    >>'Fly Navy, sail Air Force and shoot Pongoes'
    >>
    >
    >
    >
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    "CRaSH" <sorry@aint-here.spam.com> wrote in message
    news:_LtPe.125012$E95.45489@fed1read01...
    > Iain Smith wrote:
    >> "Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
    >> news:LdpPe.2171$z2.443@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
    >>> I ran it through translators and got no hits. Imagine my surprise
    >>> when I found that Quilljar was just a Brit. ;-p
    >>
    >> What do you mean, *just*?? ;0))
    >>
    >
    > gawwwddd, that took a long time comin............
    Really?? Must be a server problem! ;-0)

    Iain
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    They added some term from 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' to the Oxford
    Dictionary - 'Cowabunga' I think so they could easily add 'Quilling'. Ring
    them up Quilljar and see what they say. I'm sure you could baffle them with
    some naval aviation terms and get it published!!

    Ibby

    "Marcel Kuijper" <zoepetier@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:1125051441.531239.67460@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
    >
    > Dallas wrote:
    >
    >> Hear, hear! Motion to amend the definition of Quilly... I second the
    >> motion... Do we have a third?
    >
    > I third it, so it's hearby officially added to the English language.
    >
    >
    > Marcel
    >
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    "boB" <akita_77REMOVECAPS@yahoo.Xcom> wrote in message
    news:xmtPe.195612$0f.119800@tornado.texas.rr.com...
    > Man-o-Man!!!!! That is great. We want daily reports on your RL flying.
    > I'm sure we all will be looking forward to them. As you can see, I'm
    > excited for you. You are in for the time of your life and you will
    > never forget your helicopter training for the rest of your life.
    > Especially the autorotations. Once I got the student past the rote
    > stage and he/she realized an autorotation is nothing more that *flying*
    > the aircraft on an approach to a suitable landing area, even in the
    > trees if need be. After that it's all downhill.

    Yeah I can't wait. It's something I've been dreaming about since I was two
    years old. (Just ask my mum, she had to buy me a book about helicopters
    before I could read.) Got my true ambitions beaten out of me by a school
    education, only to discover them now years later. Still, I've not been able
    to afford it until now.

    Things haven't gone to plan though. I'd been signed up to go to HAI in
    Florida and do a course all the way to CPL and CFI, but I had to give up the
    place because my house didn't sell. So instead I'm doing the PPL in the UK,
    then am going to try and build some hours towards the CPL, then go and do
    that in Fl hopefully next year, or the year after.

    I'll be training on the Schweizer 300 at Oxford, two hours flying a day,
    three times a week, so I'm hoping I get through it in near minimum time (and
    at near minimum cost.) I'm still expecting it to cost me about £13000
    though! Luckily I've got an employer who doesn't mind me taking the time
    off.

    Si
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    "boB" <akita_77REMOVECAPS@yahoo.Xcom> wrote in message
    news:xmtPe.195612$0f.119800@tornado.texas.rr.com...
    > Man-o-Man!!!!! That is great.

    Actually boB, you can help me out here with a bit of advice:

    I know FS is going to help me with my nav exercises, radio work, etc. but I
    was wondering whether during my PPL(H) I should perhaps avoid flying the
    helos in it. As you know, things don't work the same way, and I don't want
    conflicting muscle-memories getting drilled in together. (For example, I
    don't want to automatically life the collective slightly after bottoming it
    whilst practicing a real auto...) Would you recommend I stick to fixed wing
    in the sim while trying to learn helicopters for real?

    Si
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    Simon Robbins wrote:

    >
    >
    > I know FS is going to help me with my nav exercises, radio work, etc. but I
    > was wondering whether during my PPL(H) I should perhaps avoid flying the
    > helos in it. As you know, things don't work the same way, and I don't want
    > conflicting muscle-memories getting drilled in together. (For example, I
    > don't want to automatically life the collective slightly after bottoming it
    > whilst practicing a real auto...) Would you recommend I stick to fixed wing
    > in the sim while trying to learn helicopters for real?
    >
    > Si
    >
    >

    I would say leave the simulator helicopters alone. It's not even close
    to the actual aircraft and wouldn't transfer any of the skills required.
    Do your instrument and navigation practice with the C-182 and leave
    the helos alone. After you start training send a picture of the
    instrument panel in your training helicopter. I would like to see how
    close the sim aircraft is to the real thing.

    Later you can come back and let us know how the training is coming
    along. We'll be waiting for each report. I guess hearing about your
    flying will lessen the depression of not being able to fly any longer.
    But I still have the Sim. :)


    --

    boB,
    SAG 70

    U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
    Central Texas - 5NM West of Gray Army Airfield (KGRK)
Ask a new question

Read More

Games Microsoft Search Engine Video Games