want to build budget micro atx desktop

hey,

so i want to build a descent system around a silverstone case

[urlhttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16811163050]this one

and i have a couple questions,

im really looking at the d 805 which is dirt cheap and a dual core and maybe overcloack it a little bit (around 3.0 ghz maybe some more) also if u could suggest a decsent coller that will fit in the case i would like to build around

should i get this or go with a amd 64 3200 or 300 for socket am2,

then if u suggest an 805 is there any micro atx mb that can overcloack like i want, or for the am2 can i get a reliable board despite beign new technology

the for the gpu i was looking at this 7600gt

then i need suggestions on the cheapiest some what reliable psu that could support this

i already have the hd(80gb enough for me) memory(1gb) and cd/dvd drive

i would like to get between 400-500 dollars (dads paying for mb) i don't need a serious gaming machine (thats what a 360 is for) but i do want to play wow, bf2, and halo with out to much trouble, i do download a good amout of stuff like emulators, and do rip/encode dvds for psp use

thanks for any help i need it alot, about two weeks ago the most i new was how to transferparts form one case to another
16 answers Last reply
More about want build budget micro desktop
  1. Quote:

im really looking at the d 805 which is dirt cheap and a dual core and maybe overcloack it a little bit

Why does everyone want to use that 805?
    Look at the article, it runs very hot. Too hot. 130 idle -> 200 oc'ed or how was it?
    It overclocks well, but functions even better as a room heater.
    For a SFF pc, it's a very bad idea.

IMO:
    If you already have DDR2 memory, then get an AM2 3200+ or a higher Sempron. With a TDP of 65Ws, they are much better suited to SFF pc, where low heat dissipation is critical.
  2. thxs for the advice,

again like i said i'm new to alot of this,

is there a big performance difference between the sempron 3600, and 64 3200 both am2,

and do i have to have ddr2 ram?
  3. Before I begin, you forgot a "=" on your HTML code there, that is why it's garbled.

Here is what I think you should get:

Case

Your choice, yet rather pricey. Price = 147.99

Motherboard

A budget, yet good motherboard. Price = 66.99

CPU

This is a good CPU, good enough for encoding a few things. Going to go with Stock Cooling, unless budget permits in which we should upgrade. The regular stock coolers on AMD-CPU's are pretty good, you can get an all right OC, but I'm not sure the motherboard can.Price: 109.

GPU

Your choice, good choice. It isn't available, as of yet. Just wait a while. Price = 149.99

PSU

Cheap, Quiet. Price = 76.00

For the memory: Sell the 1GB you have now, for some extra cash. Then buy two of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820221117

~Ibrahim~
  4. thank you for the advise i think im going to go with a little cheaper psu and get a non stock cooler for cpu,

and i had a good laugh over ur sig
  5. Quote:
    Before I begin, you forgot a "=" on your HTML code there, that is why it's garbled.

Here is what I think you should get:

Case

Your choice, yet rather pricey. Price = 147.99

Motherboard

A budget, yet good motherboard. Price = 66.99

CPU

This is a good CPU, good enough for encoding a few things. Going to go with Stock Cooling, unless budget permits in which we should upgrade. The regular stock coolers on AMD-CPU's are pretty good, you can get an all right OC, but I'm not sure the motherboard can.Price: 109.

GPU

Your choice, good choice. It isn't available, as of yet. Just wait a while. Price = 149.99

PSU

Cheap, Quiet. Price = 76.00

For the memory: Sell the 1GB you have now, for some extra cash. Then buy two of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820221117

~Ibrahim~

Bad advice on the RAM...PC3200? In an AM2 system, you need either

PC5400, or PC6400 to get any benefit of AM2, otherwise stick with a

s939 setup. Yes i think the 805D would be too hot for an SFF machine.

GL :)
  6. Of course I know that, but it IS a budget system... Agreed, I think, for a budget system, go with a 939 system. Just switch out the motherboard for this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813130529

Price = 78.99

You can get the Open-Box one for only 48.99!

Use the memory you already have, and use this CPU:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103537

~Ibrahim~
  7. am2 all the way baby. the tforce4 from biostar is good. the asus is decent m2npv or something like that.
  8. the helps been good,

(without it i would have a small $600 heater)

yea i think i am going to go am2 just so then i can upgrade in the future and downgrade to a 7600gs

one more question do they make am2 boards for the sempron?
  9. I'd go with this board for a budget AM2 mATX build: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813138027
    Don't let anyone tell you Biostar boards aren't good. I've had plenty of experience with their boards over the last 8-10 years and they are a great value. We work on lots of older machines that are still humming along with Biostar boards.
  10. You mean do they make Sempron AM2 CPU's for AM2 motherboards, and yes. Good idea with the GS!

~Ibrahim~
  11. so this sempron would work with thismb ?
  12. Quote:
    so this sempron would work with thismb ?

No, thats an AM2 processor and a socket 754 motherboard. AM2 is 940 pins so you might have considerable trouble getting that CPU working o.O.

Use this one: (it works)
    Biostrar TForce 6100 AM2
  13. my bad must have linked the wrong one,

i don't know alot but i do know am2 and 742 don't work together
  14. Quote:

i don't know alot but i do know am2 and 742 don't work together

You have learned well, my young grasshopper. Does the pupil surpass the master?

haha, I'm just kidding! :D

~Ibrahim~

P.S. Yes, this was a useless and uninformative post.
  15. thx for the help everyone,

particularly Ibriham
  16. You're welcome! :D

~Ibrahim~
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Build Systems Product