Sign in with
Your question

Second 7800GTX or new CPU.... ???

Last response: in Systems
June 3, 2006 7:16:09 PM

Okay i have the spare cash for a decent upgrade and i am trying to decide between a new CPU (maybe 4000+) or a second Xfx 7800GTX 475Mhz for an SLI setup. Only thing is im worried that if i did go SLI my weak Athlon 3700+ (stock 2.2Ghz) wouldnt be able to handle it... Is this true? If not then which do you suggest i get that would benefit my rig(below)the most? thanks.

More about : 7800gtx cpu

June 3, 2006 7:37:13 PM

Quote:
Okay i have the spare cash for a decent upgrade and i am trying to decide between a new CPU (maybe 4000+) or a second Xfx 7800GTX 475Mhz for an SLI setup. Only thing is im worried that if i did go SLI my weak Athlon 3700+ (stock 2.2Ghz) wouldnt be able to handle it... Is this true? If not then which do you suggest i get that would benefit my rig(below)the most? thanks.

ok what i really really suggest is that u overclock your CPU to 2.4ghz, it isnt really that hard belive me and buy a second 7800gtx

u should be good if u do that

buying a 4000+ i think is a waste
June 3, 2006 7:53:11 PM

I am aware that a 4000+ from a 3700+ is a small upgrade and that it only takes a small overclock to achieve the same speeds, but overclocking is just not an option for me as my system is pretty loud and the last thing i want is to make it louder. Actually to be honest the main reason is ive never overclocked before and i am a very unlucky guy so i would most likely mess up my system :lol:  ..... :(  However... a friend might do i for me so it still might happen. Anyway so if i didnt OC my 3700+ would it still be capable of handling SLI GTX's?
Related resources
June 3, 2006 8:03:16 PM

If I were you, I'd sell the existing 7800gtx you have now and buy a 7900gtx or x1900xt. This way you get better performance + some money. Another 7800gtx won't boost you 100% in performance, so upgrading and selling your existing card while it still is worth a pretty penny.
June 3, 2006 8:10:15 PM

im very shure your CPU will be able to handle 2 7800gtx's

but it doesnt hurt to try to raise your cpu a bit -with no noise difference

7800gtx's r still a little expensive, but a single 7900gtx would be nice
June 3, 2006 8:11:34 PM

Quote:
If I were you, I'd sell the existing 7800gtx you have now and buy a 7900gtx or x1900xt. This way you get better performance + some money. Another 7800gtx won't boost you 100% in performance, so upgrading and selling your existing card while it still is worth a pretty penny.

Agreed, but selling it might be hard; eBay? I'd actually save the money and wait for a DX10 GPU, but I'm a patient guy. Otherwise, sell the 7800GTX, get a 7900GTX 512 using some of the saved money. It might be a slight waste because the DX10 GPU's are only a few months ahead. Do try to overclock, though. It is only 200MHz, not 2000. I see what you mean about your luck, and I would have that friend come over and do it together. His good luck might counter your bad, I don't know, lol.

~Ibrahim~
June 3, 2006 8:20:26 PM

Hmm... i thought 2 7800GTX's would be much better performance than 1 7900GTX :? Like the way dual 7800gt's out perform a single GTX. Are you sure? Also living in Ireland, its very difficult to find buyers for PC components (especially GPU's) cause PC gaming is so unpopular here. And im banned from eBay so cant use that :evil:  I can still push for a 7900GTX though, without sellin my current card, but once again i need to know for certain that a single 7900 performs better than SLI 7800s :?:
June 3, 2006 8:20:50 PM

You should wait a little longer since AMD and Intel are at war right now with prices and look closely and you might get some good deals with AMD's X2 chip.

But if you want to go for an upgrade right now then you should go for the X2 3800+ and with a 7800GTX you'd be good to go. I don't suggest you to go for an SLI since the 7800GTX right now are high priced considering that the 7900GT's can smoke it on both performance and price.

:D 
June 3, 2006 8:29:47 PM

Quote:
It might be a slight waste because the DX10 GPU's are only a few months ahead.

Oh, i might wait then... when are the DX10 cards coming out exactly?
June 3, 2006 8:30:47 PM

Is saving the money such a hard option to accept??
June 3, 2006 9:24:31 PM

Quote:
It might be a slight waste because the DX10 GPU's are only a few months ahead.

Oh, i might wait then... when are the DX10 cards coming out exactly?

Last I read DX 10 was Vista only. So if you add in that consumer versions of Vista are not scheduled to be released at all this year I would expect that waiting for a DX 10 card (which is not slated to work with XP at all) will be a long wasteful wait (6-10 months plus not working with XP).
June 3, 2006 9:54:19 PM

cant u mix a 7800 and 7900 in sli? since they have the same core wont the 7900 just slow down to match the 7800? or do they have diff cores? i forget now lol. just get another 7800 and avoid having to sell anything, sure its more expensive but its the easiest way to gain a big boost.
June 3, 2006 10:07:49 PM

Quote:
cant u mix a 7800 and 7900 in sli? since they have the same core wont the 7900 just slow down to match the 7800? or do they have diff cores? i forget now lol. just get another 7800 and avoid having to sell anything, sure its more expensive but its the easiest way to gain a big boost.

mixing 7800 and 7900... wow, what are you smoking? no you cant
June 3, 2006 10:13:36 PM

let me know u that ı truly understand you firstly but it is really unnecessary for u to upgrade with that rig you can play nearly all available games with uor 19 monitor at 1280*1024 at least. what u should do is to overclock your cpu and gpu to their highest limit till the geforce 8 series or ati r600 serious out on the street. Don't be afraid to overclock! It is really not so easy to mess up ur system if u obey the general rules (avoid high voltage, keep temps in control) you can buy a zalman 9500 (it really silent) and nvdia silencer rev 3 (it is silencer!) if u want to lower ur temps.
June 3, 2006 10:42:21 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot DX10 won't work with XP... I'd either save some more for a larger upgrade later on, or get good cooling (Tuniq Tower 120, Scythe Ninja) and OC the heck out of it!

~Ibrahim~
June 3, 2006 10:53:23 PM

Okay guys, im gonna go for a second 7800GTX for SLI and see how it performs with my 2.2Ghz 3700. If its unstable then ill buy a good CPU cooler, like the ones you guys suggested, OC it up two notches and hope for the best :)  Thanks guys, your advice helped me greatly. Let me know if you have any more suggestions.
June 3, 2006 11:06:43 PM

Quote:
Another 7800gtx won't boost you 100% in performance.
And upgrading to a 7900GTX or X1900XT won't either.
June 3, 2006 11:39:04 PM

Give SLi another year or so, some more optimization. THEN we'll see 100% increases. I think the lack of optimization is what is limiting the two cards from reaching the 100% increase.

Good luck!

~Ibrahim~
June 3, 2006 11:47:57 PM

That and the fact that GPUs can only take your performance so far; your CPU does have an effect on your performance, even if it isn't as large as the GPU's.
June 4, 2006 12:10:41 AM

So will the extra 7800GTX in SLI increase general use performance on my rig as much as it would in gaming or will it be no different than having one GTX as far as overall speed is concerned? To simplifiy my question; Does an SLI setup only benefit gaming or is it the whole system performance?
June 4, 2006 1:23:10 AM

Trust me: Having TWO GTX's over one GTX will result in NO SPEED INCREASE in anything, but games.

One 7800GTX is more than powerful enough for general usage. Two will only bring higher marks in anything demanding in the region of graphics. So having two GTX's isn't going to make your internet any faster or make programs open quicker.

So to answer your question: ONLY GAMES.
June 4, 2006 2:20:16 AM

Yes, by 'general system performance' I assume you mean windows/office/internet etc.

An nVidia Riva TNT 2 Ultra (the predecessor to the first Geforce) is mor than you'd ever need in terms of 2d performance, all modern gfx cards will perform the same.
June 4, 2006 2:23:55 AM

Quote:
Give SLi another year or so, some more optimization. THEN we'll see 100% increases. I think the lack of optimization is what is limiting the two cards from reaching the 100% increase.

Good luck!

~Ibrahim~

My thoughts exactly. SLi and crossfire are still being perfected, when drivers and games take full advatage, all those people downing two 7600gt's will rue they day. i hope....
June 4, 2006 2:42:10 AM

Yup. I hope that this "optimization" stuff can be fixed by DX10 GPU's because SLi currently has the worst price-to-performance ratio, after that horrendous Dell "gaming" machine, of course. (In the regular gaming environment)

If you look at the FPS in games, you'll see that SLi only gets that 40-70% increase in huge resolutions, 1600X1200 and above. Honestly, how many people play at the resolution all the time? nVidia and ATI need to realize that and optimize SLi to benefit in the lower res. like 1024X768 or better yet 1280X1024. Sales will boost; what is the betting we see SLi in Dell's? (Regular Dell's, not that XPS crap.)

~Ibrahim~
June 4, 2006 2:49:39 AM

Ok, yes, driver updates will help some. But really, its the program creators, game designers that really need to code for this in order for it to help that much. SLi is a great idea, but no one has it coded into games. That's why its almost useless.

Not because of nVidia.

DDay
June 4, 2006 2:54:05 AM

True, true.

I've always thought: To make a game optimized for SLi, would they have to like redo the ENTIRE game engine or something? I've always thought they should release a SLi patch for each game so that those with SLi can truly benefit and those without are still ok.

~Ibrahim~
June 4, 2006 10:23:22 PM

Hello again, ive been doing a hell of alot of research on the proccess of OCing (as i have never done it before) and im just starting to understand it.... dont laugh. Anyway i might have ago at putting the CPU to 2.4Ghz and before doing so i just want to be clear on some things, if you guys dont mind. First off... ive been reading that you cant just simply go into BIOS and tweak the CPU frequency or multiplier cause apparently when you do that RAM and everything goes up with it :? , which has got me kinda confused and worried. However i also read, on the same article, that the Modern MB BIOS keeps everything else locked and lets you just simply focus on one (in this case CPU) piece of hardware.... So would i be able to just go into BIOS and start straight on the CPU Overclock or is it alot more messy? I have an Asus board. Also when it comes to OCing my CPU do i have a choice of upping either the Multiplier or the Frequency or is it strictly one? Thanks for any advice, and plz forgive my stupidity!
June 4, 2006 11:25:04 PM

I'm no expert either. I CAN answer a few questions, though.

AMD CPU's apparently overclock differently than Intels, which are simpler, IMO.

Don't worry, your computer's BIOS is not locked, hell that motherboard is made for overclocking!

I know you are able to change BOTH the multiplier and the HTT.

Your HTT (Hyper Transport Bus thingy) is the path to your memory from the CPU. So when you increase the HTT, you increase the memory speed. Now if you don't want to overclock the memory and JUST the CPU, you'll have to change the memory divider.

If you are confused, and I'll bet money you are, go to this site:

Overclock Guide

That is what I used.

~Ibrahim~
June 4, 2006 11:41:06 PM

Thanks for the link, this guide is much better than the ones i was lookin at. Ill give it a read through and see if i can get somewhere.
!