Which 64 bit OS ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slappywag

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
Hi guys,

I'm considering getting Vista 64 now, but I am wondering if I should hold off and get Windows 7 64 instead. Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

Slappywag

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
It's mostly gaming... specs are as follows:
EVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13GHz 2M shared L2 Cache Dual-Core Processor
Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4 2GB Kit DDR2-800 XMS2-6400 (4 GB total)
EVGA 9800 GTX 512MB Video
Soundblaster X-FI Extrememusic sound card
2 250 GB Seagate SATA drives in RAID 0

bpjb81

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
If you decide to upgrade to Vista or Windows 7 64bit you should pick up another 2GB of memmory, or you won't be happy with the speed of your PC.

Agreed - the only games I have that even remotely approach 4GB of RAM usage are Crysis (64bit) and a couple of ultra high res HL2 mods that use textures too large for 32 bit.

tokenz_84

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009
windows 7 is alot nicer than vista if you ask me. also why spend money on vista to upgrade to 7 when it comes out. You wont have to wait a year for it to be stable. its the same thing as vista just a little nicer. So buying vista now and upgrading in 8 months is stupid. definatly go with 64bit though. Otherwise you are just flushing money.

suddenstop

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2007

I agree with this post. Windows 7 is ahead of time because its just a new rev of vista and they need to get rid of the albatross as fast as possible (vista). I wouldn't upgrade twice, windows 7 is nicer and you will not need to wait a year to be stable.

tyralyon

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
I was wondering what people thought of Win7 build 7048 compared to Vista 64 as an OS today.
I installed Win7 as my main OS on my new computer, but some people seem to think that's not a very good idea (being a beta and all).
Should I switch to Vista and wait for Win7? (I'm aware of that Win7 will only run to August, don't take that into account for this question).

tyralyon

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
I was wondering what people think is the better OS to install today.
I just bought a new PC, and installed Win7 build 7048 as main (and only) OS, but some people seem to think that's a bad idea.
Should I switch to Vista 64 and wait for Win7 to be released?

randomizer

Champion
If you're using the UK site, it's not surprising that you can't edit. The UK site is FUBAR.

I tried Win 7 build 7000 and wasn't that impressed. I couldn't use an OS which swaps my taskbar icons around as my primary OS for day-to-day use. Especially if it wants me to use only icons for the taskbar and no text. Why is the WMP shortcut opening up firefox? Oh, it is firefox...

Random - You can right click the task bar to configure combinations of - Large or small icons, text or no text, or "Text~Until~The~Taskbar~Fills~up~Then~No~Text." The last is what I use.

I do think it takes a little bit to get used to, especially when you keep the taskbar in the traditional spot at the bottom of the monitor. That leaves the icons as little squares and they're kind of hard to read. And re~Sizing the taskbar so the icons are more legible but leaving it on the bottom takes up too much real estate. So by way of experimenting, I moved it to the right side of my primary on my dual monitor setup (so it's in the "middle"), and with a vertical lineup 'Icon PLus Text" works very well. You can go straight to the app with the peek hot key combo (Alt Tab) and muscle memory. It's a little strange at first to have the bar on the left or right, but on a widescreen monitor it works very very well and leaves more vertical space. Apps were easy to remember, but my "niggle" with that is after a couple decades of the "Start/Windows/Whatever" icon being in the lower left I still find myself looking there.

Also, if you think of your apps in an order (#1, #2, #3, etc), you can use the Windows key plus the number of the app. For example: If Explorer is the second app on the bar, than "Win 2" will switch to it if it's open and launch it if it's not.

If it's working for you in all respects, then I see no reason not to stick with it. Just understand that you will likely have to wipe and resinstall when you go to the production version. So setting your computer up *today* to use a separate drive/partition for your data will save you headaches later, since later you can wipe/reinstall the OS and Apps and retain your stuff. Less hassle that way.

randomizer

Champion
Scotteq, I'd rather not try and remember things. I like to be productive, that means I like to do things quickly and without thinking. In Vista I just click, and it's only a problem when I do it so fast that I click the shortcut next to what I want to start. Personally I think the taskbar design that Windows has been using since I started using Windows is better, but that is likely due to a natural hatred of change. I've never had to customise the taskbar significantly before, I don't see why I must do it now. I'm a fan of "it just works," but not the Apple "it just works exactly how we and only we want it to" philosophy.

Status
Not open for further replies.