Nanny State Kills Birthday Tradition

What's going in the land "down under"?!

Has the Australian government completely lost their mind?!?!

Australian Kids Banned from Birthday Tradition at School

Celebrating birthdays at school just got a little less fun for kids in Australia. New guidelines issued Tuesday by the country's National Health and Medical Research Council say that children can no longer blow out the candles on cakes at school because doing so spreads too many germs.

"We introduced new national standards to lift the quality of child care across Australia because we believe parents deserve peace of mind when they drop their child off they are receiving quality care to a high standard," Australia's Minister for Early Childhood and Child Care, Kate Elliss, explained in a statement. "All services across the country will be assessed and rated against new National Quality Standard which will ensure that services are meeting basic requirements including children's health, safety and wellbeing."
Really?!?!?! WTF?!?!?! Another example of legislative idiocy trumping common sense under the banner of "SAVE THE CHILDREN!"

As a liberty loving American, I weep for the Aussie's. I hope this gets struck down.

wanamingo

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
Careful trolling the Aussie's, you'll get a can of fosters through the window.

I also understand their Video game laws are insane, I learned that from watching zero punctuation......

It starts here.
Soon, they wont allow each other to point fingers like guns, or use a stiff armed over hand throwing motion either.
In other words, if its too masculine, stop it, and stop it now.

PattTech

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
Kids pass germs amongst each other all the time, it's part of building up their immune system, you can't wrap them up completely.

My question is, are germs getting stronger, Ausies getting weaker?
If this activity was OK for decades, why now all the sudden?
I dont remember reading about a huge outbreak anywheres because of this....

gropouce

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
The argument of microbes is stupid, except where the children are used to sneezing to blow out the candles.
But is it really so bad?
I've never seen a child blowing out the candles at school in France and it has traumatized nobody so far.

I think that is a strawman argument. As far as I know, that has never happened.

Where is this one going?

We already won your America's Cup ... invented most of your technology in the last 30 years, sent you decent actors, bred some of the hillbilly out of your genes, showed you the way with multiculturalism ... and we didn't charge you a cent for it.

"Moreover we taught you people how to surf, how to make decent beer,

The Kiwis also did it again just to make it clear ... minus the beer."

We would get into the baseball but no self respecting Aussie can look at another man in those pants ... seriously akward.

Don't get me started on the GridIron (Girls Football) with all of the PPE ... sissies !!

gropouce your double negatives confound me !!

Go bless the USA.

Once we install an Aussie President "she'll be righ mate".

I'm working on parking Australia off the coast of California ... we have a bit of demolition work with that Mexico place first ...

/checks Apple Maps .. wait.

:)

Too many guns would make the Aussies nervous, and might regress them back into their convict ways, which obviously theyve lost, and where we could teach you a thing or three about, matter of fact, we have more than our share, maybe you need some new genes for your pool?

OMG simply request a meeting with your HR Department and write an apology and make it clear you didn't know their policy (I assume there is one hence the response from them).

I'd imagine your otherwise a good employee with a good track record and they would consider your case.

Since your an anti-union guy you probably can't avail yourself of that option in terms of representation.

We have strict policies here regarding weapons etc so I cenrtainly understand where they are coming from.

If it is legal to sell your licensed weapon and you stated that it was a legal firearm, in a state of the US that supports this, then they should simply give you a written warning if you misinterpreted or was not aware of their company policy.

Go with a formal written apology and attach copies of your license and registration for the weapon, and a couple of referees from people of good standing that know your a responsible gun owner (like a cop or teacher or doctor).

I hope it works out mate.

I am still fervently anti-guns but I feel sorry for you.

That's fv*ked up!

Do you have any recourse? What about wrongful termination? Can you work the liberal angle and claim any form of discrimination; ageism, performance envy, racism? Can you show that the company failed to adequately inform the employees of the policy? When was the last time the company communicated the policy for the BB? Are their disclaimers you must acknowledge before posting stating what is/is not allowed? Is your State and "right to work" or an "at will" State?

I sympathize with your situation and believe it to be an despicable act of political correctness. You may not agree, but IMO it would be worth consulting with a lawyer even if only to learn the law and any options regardless of whether you can (or want to) pursue a law suit.

God bless, OMG_73! Fight the power, don't let the Man get you down!

gropouce

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
I'm not worried about you, Oldman.
I'm pretty sure this is not the first time you're in trouble, and I'm sure you'll know how to bounce back.

Courage, mon pote!