SmartPower 2.0 500W, changing fan speeds?

Black_Knight_MC

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2005
This thing keeps one fan off when its cool enough and the other fan spins faster and faster with more and more heat. Well even when gaming, my 58C CPU and 65C GPU are pumping out heat fast since both have performance air cooling. Thing is, I can control fans on both those devices but not my PSU. I can control the CPU fan with SpeedFan and my video card with RivaTuner. SpeedFan sees the PSU fan speed but I can't alter it like I thought I could. Is it possible or would I have to open up the PSU myself and change some things? I have replaced a fan inside a previous PSU before so I know my way around them, just not this stupid sensor stuff that determines fan speed. I just want the second one to turn on at all times and the other one at full speed (the one that always on but has multiple speeds is only spinning at 1300, compared to my LOW speed GPU fan of 2250 and CPU fan at 2700). Thanks for the help.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
i would leave it be. i dont think noise is an issue and the PSU knows when its overheating and thats when the 2nd fan will kick in. what u can do is if u have more han headers on ur mobo get 2 new 80mm's and replace both fans but screw then out side of the PSU vs inside (will require opening the PSU) if u have then screwed out side plug them into a 3 pin connector and u can now control the speed of ur PSU fans.

Black_Knight_MC

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2005
I am not worried about the PSU overheating, I want air flow through my PC to be faster. The air coming out the back of the PSU is pretty hot compared to the out fan for my case (I have 2 80mm in fans sucking in on the side and another 80mm sucking air right out from my CPU) The thing is there is so much ait coming in the i can feel air coming out a small hole in the front and it comes out pretty fast, thats just means the case has more in than out so it gets pressue and pushes out seems and so on.

Black_Knight_MC

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2005
Its a home made one, hehe, it has plexi glass or clear plastic on the side so i used my tools to added an additional fan for my video (dropped the GPU temp by 10C, no bad). Its some generic one with some lights on the front. I mean, I didn't make the case, its one I have modded. Its just the PSU itself I installed, if anything ill just remove the fans and put in on-all-the-time 80mm fans but I'd rather find a program or a way to rewire something inside before I do some "transplants".

Edit-

http://www.nastynorthnyc.com/nrwebspace/BK%20stuff/PC-006web.jpg

Here is a picture of it around 4-6 months ago, I haven't cut another hole in the side yet for the additional fan and my video card doesn't have its new HS yet, missing a GB of ram and messier and so on. The fan on the side pulls air in, pumps about it over the ram and cpu fan. Then you can see the air from the CPU HS goes right out the back to that other fan that sucks the air out.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
ok here are a few tips

if u dont already add an 80mm exause blow hole at the top. enlarge the rear exause to hold a 120mm fan that should aleviate a lot of heat.

Black_Knight_MC

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2005
Well my heat levels are fine, but they could be better and let me OC a little more, I would think, if the PSU would turn on that other fan and amke the one already going, go faster than 1300. I have no heat issues, I am just trying to improve it even more and right now its the PSU that is slow. If I am going to go 120 I want to get a new case with 120 in the back and the 120 in the front.

linux_0

Splendid
Great advise! :-D

Also you could see if you could dremel the case to take 120mm fans.

BTW many Antec PSUs have a 3 pin fan connector coming off of the PSU which can be plugged into a fan header on the motherboard for theoretically better fan control.

Good luck :-D

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts