last night, i tried to access my computer (running windows
xp home with sp2) and it was frozen. it would not unlock,
even when using strl-alt-delete. so, i manually restarted
it. after that, it would not boot. i was given 5 choices
of how to boot up the computer:

- safe mode
- safe mode with networking
- safe mode with command prompt
- last good configuration
- start windows normally

the boot sequence does not complete in any of these modes
and i'm stuck in a restart loop.

can anyone help me out? i've tried to search the MS
knowledge base, but i don't even know for sure what to
search for. i looked under "restart" and havent seen my
issue discussed.

Hi

If none of those options work and you still can't boot into Windows
normally, you will have to look towards a 'Repair' install of XP, which
should keep your files, programs and settings intact. The following article
by Michael Stevens will help you:

"How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

"curly" <bmyth@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> last night, i tried to access my computer (running windows
> xp home with sp2) and it was frozen. it would not unlock,
> even when using strl-alt-delete. so, i manually restarted
> it. after that, it would not boot. i was given 5 choices
> of how to boot up the computer:
>
> - safe mode
> - safe mode with networking
> - safe mode with command prompt
> - last good configuration
> - start windows normally
>
> the boot sequence does not complete in any of these modes
> and i'm stuck in a restart loop.
>
> can anyone help me out? i've tried to search the MS
> knowledge base, but i don't even know for sure what to
> search for. i looked under "restart" and havent seen my
> issue discussed.

Also - if you do perform a 'Repair' install with your original XP CD, you
will lose SP2 and revert to the same version as is on the XP CD. You can
overcome this with a slipstreamed SP2 CD, but first you will have to
download the 266 MB SP2 file:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

and then follow the directions in the following article to create the
slipstreamed CD:

http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49

With the slipstreamed SP2 CD you can then attempt a 'Repair' install without
having to revert to an earlier version of XP. The same procedure applies as
in Michael's article.

--

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

"curly" <bmyth@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> last night, i tried to access my computer (running windows
> xp home with sp2) and it was frozen. it would not unlock,
> even when using strl-alt-delete. so, i manually restarted
> it. after that, it would not boot. i was given 5 choices
> of how to boot up the computer:
>
> - safe mode
> - safe mode with networking
> - safe mode with command prompt
> - last good configuration
> - start windows normally
>
> the boot sequence does not complete in any of these modes
> and i'm stuck in a restart loop.
>
> can anyone help me out? i've tried to search the MS
> knowledge base, but i don't even know for sure what to
> search for. i looked under "restart" and havent seen my
> issue discussed.

There is a flash of a blue screen error which is never
visual long enough to read(have tried to "pause"). I have
managed to perform a repair installation but the same
thing still happens ? Help
Baz

> [...]

Hi

Have a look in the Event Viewer to see if they are any entries there that
may point to the problem of the Blue Screen.

--

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

Cant get the system to boot so cant look in the event
viewer !
Baz

> [...]

Oops - sorry. If the Repair install didn't help you may have to 'Clean'
install XP to solve the problem. Usually a Repair install will clear up the
problem of a non-bootable system. Unless you have a backup of the Registry
that you can try and restore via 'DOS'?

--

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User